Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Official 2015 NFL News and Notes for Offseason Non FA Non Draft

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Did anyone else notice the Packer pencil was larger than the others?

I used to fondle my Packer pencil fondly.
    Clearly you have pencil envy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yes. High wind blew over a crane that should not have been operating in the conditions of that day.
    Three men died, and a statue outside Miller Park commemorates them.

For anyone not interested in machines, physics and the like; don't bother reading the rest of this, because I am going to drone on about the accident a bit. I followed the accident investigation as close as I could. I still read articles about it, when I find a new one. I am fascinated by it.

This wasn't just "a crane", it was the largest mobile crane in the world. As tall as a 50 story building. Using it required building runways for it to travel on, because the counterweight alone, not including the crane itself, was something like 2 million pounds. They were lifting a 500 ton section of the roof, which actually was an "easy" lift for the crane weight-wise, depending on conditions, crane configuration for the lift, etc. The crane collapsed, it wasn't blown over by the wind. Everyone agrees that wind was a factor, but it was very likely not the only reason, as is often the case in catastrophic failures.

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 11m11 minutes ago
    Browns got 5 picks in Julio deal:
    * Phil Taylor
    * Greg Little
    * Owen Marecic
    * Brandon Weeden
    * 4th rder to move up 1 slot to draft T-Rich
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I thought the final verdict was that no lifting should have been done that day due to wind velocity?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I thought the final verdict was that no lifting should have been done that day due to wind velocity?
    I remember an article in the Wausau Daily Herald after that happened. They interviewed some local crane operators. The consensus was that they wouldn't have been lifting anything with the kind of winds they had in Milwaukee that day.

Browns got 5 picks in Julio deal:
    * Phil Taylor
    * Greg Little
    * Owen Marecic
    * Brandon Weeden
    * 4th rder to move up 1 slot to draft T-Rich
    Damn... that sucks. Phil Taylor is solid, but the rest...

I think most, if not all, agree with that. However, the complete failure of the crane itself probably was not solely caused by the wind. Lifting in winds can be unsafe, but not because the crane will collapse. There are lots of issues about load stability and the like, which can be extremely dangerous for workers, but not because you expect the crane to collapse, especially with the load not being near the cranes capacity.

More than likely, the wind set into motion a string of events that caused the collapse. Other issues mentioned include:
    • Unstable areas of the crane runway, which caused them to move the location, and required a higher lift and longer reach.
    • A broken water main that no one can say for sure if it broke before or because of the crane collapse. If before, it may have caused the runway issue.
    • The use of a softer material spacer in the kingpin assembly. The king pin is solid steel, a foot in diameter and 10 feet long. It is primarily a pivot point, but also bears the weight of side loading. Credible evidence indicated the first loud snap heard on video of the accident was likely the spacer shattering. The second bang was the kingpin dislodging, Thereafter, the crane collapsed.
    • A malfunctioning anemometer on the crane at a critical elevation.

They should not have lifted because of the wind, but if all else had been right, would the crane have collapsed? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the only result would have been an unsuccessful lift and an aborted attempt.

The issue that has always intrigued me is the decision to use a half inch thick spacer ring of softer material in the kingpin assembly. Had that not failed, would the collapse have occurred? Without side loading because of wind it might not have mattered. Secondarily, did a soft runway increase the side loading problem? I'm not sure anyone knows the answers to these questions.

It was agreed that the lift should not have been performed because of the wind, but did the result have to be a complete collapse of the crane?

Got it. Its fantastic they worked through the entire assembly and wreckage like that and didn't go with the first, obvious answer. I am sure that information proved valuable elsewhere, even if only as a cautionary tale.

Patler, that is an unusually insightful and technical post for a layman. Are you an operating engineer?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Patler, that is an unusually insightful and technical post for a layman. Are you an operating engineer?
    I'm not an operating engineer, but not exactly a typical layman either. I have been involved with issues relating to mammoth machine designs for more than 30 years, some stationary, some mobile (as well as more reasonable sized equipment, too.) That is why I was so fascinated by the investigation of the "Big Blue" collapse. Truth be told, I was reading everything the papers had even before the accident, as the crane was being trucked in and erected. Before the accident, some had said the crane was "overkill" for the moderate lifts that would be needed at Miller Park. They are amazing pieces equipment.

As a young man, I operated all sorts of machinery.

Got it. Its fantastic they worked through the entire assembly and wreckage like that and didn't go with the first, obvious answer. I am sure that information proved valuable elsewhere, even if only as a cautionary tale.
    Agreed. Much like plane crash investigations to discover what can be learned to prevent similar events in the future. Unfortunately, sometimes it is difficult to determine if something caused or was caused by the event.

If you perform the 2015 San Francisco 49ers offseason to the Packers, here is who you lose:

Green Bay would have lost Mike McCarthy, Jordy Nelson, Jarrett Boykin, Jeff Janis, Eddie Lacy, Josh Sitton, Bryan Bulaga, Don Barclay, BJ Raji, Nick Perry, Mike Neal, AJ Hawk, Brad Jones, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Demetri Goodson, and Tim Masthay.

Frightening part is, they have lost four of them on their own (Nelson, Boykin, Hawk, Jones and Tramontana). Plus Goodson is hurt.

You can do this with any team: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/4...-as-the-niners

Chicago did steller as well, hitting on 9 of 17, which is far more than the number of games they'll win this year!

Chicago would have lost Marc Trestman, Brandon Marshall, Josh Morgan, Marquess Wilson, Matt Forte, Matt Slauson, Jordan Mills, Eben Britton, Stephen Paea, Lance Briggs, Shea McClellin, Jon Bostic, DJ Williams, Tim Jennings, Charles Tillman, Terrance Mitchell, and Pat O'Donnell.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Chicago 5-11, pretty much a foregone conclusion for everyone except Chitown betters, keeping the Vegas over/under nice and high for the rest of the world to take advantage of. (over/under is 7 games, the best play in the entire league)

So RG3 had a run-in with Doctors who made one diagnosis, then changed it, now has resigned. The guy who reversed the decision has a history of mis-judging concussion severity.

Resigning: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...11441452417119

Reversed Original Decision last Friday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...8e4_story.html

Its not clear that Dr. Robert N. Kurtzke reversed himself, which seems to be what some headlines imply. Seems like he reversed the team Docs. However, there seems to have been a report that cleared RG3 at some point. So the timeline and process itself is very unclear. Its also not clear whether the League, NFLPA or the Team forced the resignation.

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 5m5 minutes ago
    Anyone that has followed me on social media knows I HATE talking about my struggle w/ this. But reading this man's name just hit a nerve...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 9m9 minutes ago
    After practice that week my headaches + pressure in my head got so bad, I swerved behind the wheel + had to pull over. I knew I wasn't OK...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 11m11 minutes ago
    I've never had a doctor be so condescending while spewing BS. But I wanted to play, and he told me I was fine to play. So I played...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 16m16 minutes ago
    When I explained that taking painkillers and continuing to play w/ bad symptoms didn't seem smart, he asked me who the doctor was...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 18m18 minutes ago
    He cleared me to play just days after. So I began practicing w/ headaches + what felt like a 5 lb weight in my head. Alecko Eskandarian added,

GCinDC @grcanty
    @alecko11 did he advise that it was ok to keep playing?

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 50m50 minutes ago
    The fact that this quack still works w/ high profiled athletes is A JOKE. This man put my life at risk and is a name I will never forget.

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 54m54 minutes ago
    10 years ago when I suffered a Grade 3 concussion that took me a year to recover from, Dr. Kurtzke suggested to "just keep taking Tylenol".

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 55m55 minutes ago
    I cannot tell you how much pent up anger I have towards this man, as he is the same doc who nearly caused me brain damage and maybe worse...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 57m57 minutes ago
    I have just read that the neurologist involved in the RG3 concussion fiasco is Dr. Kurtzke...

From Wiki:
    Alecko Eskandarian (born July 9, 1982) is an American former soccer player of Armenian-Iranian descent. He is the assistant coach for New York Cosmos and head coach for their reserve team, New York Cosmos B.

He attended the University of Virginia as an undergrad.

The source of the confusion is, of course, the Redskins.

From the above WaPo article about Griffin being declared out for the Friday contest:

On Thursday night, the Redskins announced that an independent neurologist had cleared Griffin to resume competition.

Tebow is available to be a backupWR/RB/FB/TE/quasiQB.

wrong thread again.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-05-2015 at 11:55 AM.

So RG3 had a run-in with Doctors who made one diagnosis, then changed it, now has resigned. The guy who reversed the decision has a history of mis-judging concussion severity.

Resigning: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...11441452417119

Reversed Original Decision last Friday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...8e4_story.html

Its not clear that Dr. Robert N. Kurtzke reversed himself, which seems to be what some headlines imply. Seems like he reversed the team Docs. However, there seems to have been a report that cleared RG3 at some point. So the timeline and process itself is very unclear. Its also not clear whether the League, NFLPA or the Team forced the resignation.

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 5m5 minutes ago
    Anyone that has followed me on social media knows I HATE talking about my struggle w/ this. But reading this man's name just hit a nerve...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 9m9 minutes ago
    After practice that week my headaches + pressure in my head got so bad, I swerved behind the wheel + had to pull over. I knew I wasn't OK...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 11m11 minutes ago
    I've never had a doctor be so condescending while spewing BS. But I wanted to play, and he told me I was fine to play. So I played...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 16m16 minutes ago
    When I explained that taking painkillers and continuing to play w/ bad symptoms didn't seem smart, he asked me who the doctor was...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 18m18 minutes ago
    He cleared me to play just days after. So I began practicing w/ headaches + what felt like a 5 lb weight in my head. Alecko Eskandarian added,

GCinDC @grcanty
    @alecko11 did he advise that it was ok to keep playing?

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 50m50 minutes ago
    The fact that this quack still works w/ high profiled athletes is A JOKE. This man put my life at risk and is a name I will never forget.

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 54m54 minutes ago
    10 years ago when I suffered a Grade 3 concussion that took me a year to recover from, Dr. Kurtzke suggested to "just keep taking Tylenol".

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 55m55 minutes ago
    I cannot tell you how much pent up anger I have towards this man, as he is the same doc who nearly caused me brain damage and maybe worse...

Alecko Eskandarian ‏@alecko11 57m57 minutes ago
    I have just read that the neurologist involved in the RG3 concussion fiasco is Dr. Kurtzke...

From Wiki:
    Alecko Eskandarian (born July 9, 1982) is an American former soccer player of Armenian-Iranian descent. He is the assistant coach for New York Cosmos and head coach for their reserve team, New York Cosmos B.

He attended the University of Virginia as an undergrad.
    Twitter is the worst interview format EVER.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Deadspin says that Kurtzke pulled a double move. He overruled the team Docs apparently on Thursday, then reversed himself on Friday.

http://deadspin.com/report-neurologi...ium=socialflow