Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
One of the best games was versus the Bears in the 86 opener I think. First year of Instant Replay, and after the Bears SB win if I remember it correctly. Kosar at this point, not Sipe.

Browns had a respectable year in 85, going 8-8, which was a substantial improvement from the previous year.

Was in college and every Bears fan was ready for a repeat of 85. Browns scored on them like nobody's business. Just for good measure, got the benefit of a very shaky instant replay call (might have been the first one ever) in which the refs called NOTHING on the field, actually ceding the call to the booth.

But somehow the Bears found an Offense that day and the Browns D was left back in Berea. Despite scaring the bejesus out of Bears fans everywhere, Browns lost in Chicago 41-31. Was a good omen for a 12-4 season.
The '85 Browns were dangerous with their two-headed monster in the backfield. They almost beat a 12-4 team (Dolphins) in the divisional round. And of course that gets me thinking about what would happen to them in each of the next two years. And that in turn makes me realize that the Browns lost championship games three times in one decade. Or was the loss to the Raiders a divisional game? It gets a little easier to stomach what happened last January when you think about what Browns fans have gone through....