Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2015 NFL News and Notes for Offseason Non FA Non Draft

Bears have a mean Twitter game. Not much else, but at least its something.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago
    Well done RT @ChicagoBears: It may be #SaySomethingNiceDay, but we'll wait until #OppositeDay to say something nice about the @packers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Forget the discussion of elite QB play, here is the new standard.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 49s50 seconds ago
    If you're paying out the ass for league-average QB play, your team is in trouble. Teams like CHI/CAR/CIN/SF/DET beware @stpete2you @Cianaf

The only problem here is that Kacsmar is probably on good ground differentiating between great QB play and above average talent, I think the $100 million threshold is causing him to assume each of these deals is astronomically out of whack. Not sure that is the case with all of them.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Aaron Schatz ‏@FO_ASchatz 3h3 hours ago Framingham, MA
    Transformation of the NFL stat of the day: every single NFL defense faced shotgun on at least 64.6 percent of plays last year.

The intro's of Mike Daniels on the video's for the NFL top100 players on NFL.com are hilarious. I don't recall the exact quotes, but it was something like (for Lacy) "The guy is like 2 cheese burgers away of putting his hand in the dirt next to me on the D line." (& Pep) "It's like you're playing in the backyard with your friends and suddenly your older brother joins the game. It's just not fair.".

Whoa. I copied the wrong Tweet there, sorry.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h2 hours ago
    Russell Wilson's agent sends 16-page position statement to Seahawks http://wp.me/p14QSB-9MSg

Favre would just hold a sixteen part interview with Greta. And half of all statements would start with "I don't know...".
    Last edited by pbmax; 06-08-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wootah View Post
    The intro's of Mike Daniels on the video's for the NFL top100 players on NFL.com are hilarious. I don't recall the exact quotes, but it was something like (for Lacy) "The guy is like 2 cheese burgers away of putting his hand in the dirt next to me on the D line." (& Pep) "It's like you're playing in the backyard with your friends and suddenly your older brother joins the game. It's just not fair.".

(link?)
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Things are not bright with the Giants:

B. How can they replace the injured veteran: When Beatty got injured, the Giants slid rookie Ereck Flowers to left tackle and promoted Marshall Newhouse to right tackle, while keeping former right tackle Justin Pugh at guard.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...amp-story-ever

Plus the best line of the summer so far:

Often the recovery news is accompanied by meaningless percentages. After the draft, Giants general manager Jerry Reese told WFAN's Mike Francesa (via NJ.com) that Victor Cruz was "probably 85, close to 90 percent" after last season's patellar tendon injury. Three weeks later during OTAs, Cruz himself told the New York Post's Paul Schwartz he was at 80 percent. Using regression analysis on those data points, Cruz will be paralyzed by Labor Day.

Remember when?

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 20h20 hours ago
    May 1977: Bears traded a 1st-round pick for Browns QB Mike Phipps, who had thrown 40 TD & 81 INT.

Browns used pick to draft Ozzie Newsome

But the NFC Central was so bad then (looking at it from Ohio) that this cowpie of a move didn't hinder the Bears' chances in the Division much, did it? Sure it took him one year to unseat the immortal Bob Avellini. But he led them to a 10-6 record and second place in the NFCC in '79. Browns were stuck with Brian Sipe.

Wasn't Sipe a significantly better QB than Phipps? Or is that the joke?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Wasn't Sipe a significantly better QB than Phipps? Or is that the joke?
    Yes, he was and it was.

I loved watching the Browns then....very good team that always fell short. Oh how we all remember the fumble.
    C.H.U.D.

One of the best games was versus the Bears in the 86 opener I think. First year of Instant Replay, and after the Bears SB win if I remember it correctly. Kosar at this point, not Sipe.

Browns had a respectable year in 85, going 8-8, which was a substantial improvement from the previous year.

Was in college and every Bears fan was ready for a repeat of 85. Browns scored on them like nobody's business. Just for good measure, got the benefit of a very shaky instant replay call (might have been the first one ever) in which the refs called NOTHING on the field, actually ceding the call to the booth.

But somehow the Bears found an Offense that day and the Browns D was left back in Berea. Despite scaring the bejesus out of Bears fans everywhere, Browns lost in Chicago 41-31. Was a good omen for a 12-4 season.

Bill Arnsparger passed away at 88. But here is one version of how he helped birth the zone blitz in the NFL. Doesn't answer the obvious, who thought of this (or from whom did they steal) at LSU?

Peter King: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/20/nfl-tr...ng-schedule/5/

1. I think the football world lost a valuable person Friday with the death of Bill Arnsparger at 88. Arnsparger was the defensive mastermind of the unbeaten Dolphins team in 1972, and the father of the Zone Blitz. (Heck of a résumé, even if those are the only two things he ever did. And they’re not.) But I’ve always been fascinated by Arnsparger’s role with the Zone Blitz. In 1984, the Bengals had an imaginative rookie head coach, Sam Wyche, and an imaginative first-year defensive coordinator, Dick LeBeau. In those days—and still today, for the most part—the Bengals used their coaches as scouts for the draft. In 1984, the Bengals had three first-round draft picks, and the assistants were beating the bushes to see every prime prospect in America. So LeBeau journeyed to LSU to scout a meager crop of Tigers that spring, and spent an afternoon with LSU defensive boss Arnsparger. At the time, who could blame LeBeau for simply inheriting a good defense—the ’83 Bengals allowed a league-beat 270.4 yards a game, 23 yards fewer than the number two Saints—and being a caretaker. But he didn’t. That day in Baton Rouge, LeBeau looked at lots of things LSU was doing that the NFL wasn’t. Namely, dropping defensive linemen and linebackers into shallow zones, covering mostly backs and tight ends on wheel routes and shallow crosses, while unexpectedly blitzing corners or safeties off the edges. When LeBeau left campus and flew on to his next stop, he took a napkin on his Delta flight and began doodling X’s and O’s, imagining dropping traditional but athletic defensive ends Eddie Edwards and Ross Browner into coverage, while letting his defensive backs apply pressure. A few years ago, talking to LeBeau about it, I recall him telling me, “I owe a lot of credit to Bill Arnsparger. He really taught me a lot about the scheme.” Think of the Zone Blitz’s effect on football, and you’ve got to think of Arnsparger’s last effect too. He’ll be missed.

Bad Contract Team, 2015

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...=story-twitter

Jared Allen lines up at DE.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bad Contract Team, 2015

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...=story-twitter

Jared Allen lines up at DE.
    Best thing about that list is that there are no Packers on it. A corollary to this would be the worst contract(s) for each team. Not sure who would be it for the Packers.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Chancellor and Bennett are threatening to hold out od Seattle's camp if they don't get more money.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/29/sea...-camp-hold-out

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    One of the best games was versus the Bears in the 86 opener I think. First year of Instant Replay, and after the Bears SB win if I remember it correctly. Kosar at this point, not Sipe.

Browns had a respectable year in 85, going 8-8, which was a substantial improvement from the previous year.

Was in college and every Bears fan was ready for a repeat of 85. Browns scored on them like nobody's business. Just for good measure, got the benefit of a very shaky instant replay call (might have been the first one ever) in which the refs called NOTHING on the field, actually ceding the call to the booth.

But somehow the Bears found an Offense that day and the Browns D was left back in Berea. Despite scaring the bejesus out of Bears fans everywhere, Browns lost in Chicago 41-31. Was a good omen for a 12-4 season.
    The '85 Browns were dangerous with their two-headed monster in the backfield. They almost beat a 12-4 team (Dolphins) in the divisional round. And of course that gets me thinking about what would happen to them in each of the next two years. And that in turn makes me realize that the Browns lost championship games three times in one decade. Or was the loss to the Raiders a divisional game? It gets a little easier to stomach what happened last January when you think about what Browns fans have gone through....

It was the best of times, soon to be the worst of times.

Roger Goodell's NFL Punishment Generator: http://deadspin.com/taste-roger-good...ene-1720846778

How did I miss this Bears joke?

You might also remember that the Bears OC last season was Aaron Kromer, who was caught anonymously shit-talking Jay Cutler to the NFL Network, and then had to tearfully apologize to the team after the fact. Kyle Shanahan laughs at your inability to leak things discreetly, Kromer. Since being jettisoned, Kromer has been arrested for allegedly punching a boy over the use of lawn chairs. Those are, presumably, the same lawn chairs that Chicago used to protect its quarterbacks last season.
    Why Your Team Sucks: Chicago Bears