Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2015 NFL News and Notes for Offseason Non FA Non Draft

QBR gets a remake, and gets much better in the process. ESPN hired the guy (Advanced NFL Stats creator Brian Burke) whose work the original QBR was based on (EPA - expected points added). He has apparently been at work throwing out the clutch factor and the tilt toward the final result since he got there.

Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 25m25 minutes ago Queens, NY
    With three changes, ESPN's QBR has shifted more towards a stat to measure how good a QB is and away from QBQWinz http://www.footballperspective.com/e...ated-for-2015/

EDIT: Not sure how much Burke was involved here. ESPN is still using subjective measures to fiddle with QBR, for instance, they are now adjusting for pressure on the QB during the play.
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-31-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Eric Berry returning to practice Wednesday was fantastic. As someone who has seen family members go through chemo, I cannot fathom how he kept working out through the whole thing.
    Go PACK

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 3h3 hours ago Southington, CT
    Have Tweeted before, but worth mentioning w/football back: Browns OT Joe Thomas has played every single snap in his career: 8,196 & counting

IF ONLY WE HAD TRADED FINLEY TO CLEVELAND FOR HIM AND A 3RD ROUND PICK
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
    Broncos' Kyle Williams out for season with torn Achilles http://wp.me/p14QSB-9OBu

Should have had more protein snacks at practice.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    IF ONLY WE HAD TRADED FINLEY TO CLEVELAND FOR HIM AND A 3RD ROUND PICK
    Was this an option??

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Was this an option??
    No. Just making fun of commenters, here and elsewhere, overestimating the value of Packer players they hate and want to see traded.

Didn't he get his CEI against the Browns?

Seahawks spending come more cash.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9h9 hours ago
    The guarantee for #Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner is $22M, to go with four years, $43M. A monster deal.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Didn't he get his CEI against the Browns?
    Yep.

Seahawks spending come more cash.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9h9 hours ago
    The guarantee for #Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner is $22M, to go with four years, $43M. A monster deal.
    Overthecap.com puts Seattle at $163M, with the NFL cap announced at $143. They've got some work to do there. Memo to Kam Chancellor: give up on your holdout idea, it ain't happening.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

JSO Camp reports:

■ Typically, the Packers let their cornerbacks settle in on one side or the other, but first-round pick Damarious Randall played a good dose of both left and right. He replaced Shields on the plays the veteran was out.

■ The Packers have used Micah Hyde first and Randall Cobb second in punt return drills through two practices. Rookie Ty Montgomery, who returned two punts for touchdowns last season at Stanford, has worked with the punt rush team. He is expected to be in the mix on kickoff returns.

I'LL ADMIT THAT WHEN M3 TRIES TO REINVENT THE WHEEL WITH SOME NEW PLAYERS, IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. BUT HYDE PROBABLY MAKES THIS SENSIBLE.

Last year, he played inside mostly in the nickel package, but toward the end of the season when it was clear Hawk had nothing left, he started receiving snaps in the base 3-4 as well. Before he left with an injury, Matthews played 25 of 43 snaps inside against the Seahawks in the final game.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...320359611.html

SOMEONE ON THE BOARD ASKED THIS QUESTION YESTERDAY. AM I WRONG, OR IS SPOON CONFUSED? MATTHEWS, PUTTING ASIDE NASCAR OR THE 4-3, WAS INSIDE ONLY AS A ROVING BLITZER BEFORE THE BYE WEEK. AFTER THE BYE WEEK, HE WAS STARTING INSIDE IN BASE, MOVING BACK TO OUTSIDE ONLY FOR OBVIOUS PASSING SITUATIONS.

Ronda Rousey Knocks Out Bethe Correia in 34 Seconds

Eddy Lacy
    Rousey is unreal #Congrats #UFC
    12:33 AM - 2 Aug 2015

I saw that Lacy is a fan. One tweet is pathetic excuse for a packer story, but it may be the only chance to scoop the omnipresent pbmax this season. You can't stop him, you can't even hope to contain him.

This one is for smuggler, this is the most recent update I can find on the appeal/contempt of court action in Doty's decision in the Peterson case.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...terson-matter/

SOMEONE ON THE BOARD ASKED THIS QUESTION YESTERDAY. AM I WRONG, OR IS SPOON CONFUSED? MATTHEWS, PUTTING ASIDE NASCAR OR THE 4-3, WAS INSIDE ONLY AS A ROVING BLITZER BEFORE THE BYE WEEK. AFTER THE BYE WEEK, HE WAS STARTING INSIDE IN BASE, MOVING BACK TO OUTSIDE ONLY FOR OBVIOUS PASSING SITUATIONS.
    As I remember it, prior to the midseason switch that saw CM3 playing inside in base, he was getting snaps inside in nickel when the Packers played their 2-4-5. DL were Daniels/Jones/etc, OLB were Peppers and Neal/Perry with their hands on ground, and CM3 and Hawk/Jones in the middle.
    Go PACK

Pretty sure when either Perry or Jones had a hand in the dirt, it was a variation of that Quad/4-3 package they mostly dumped early in the season. But that doesn't mean some version of it survived longer that kept CMIII in the middle.

I just remember him moving around to blitz more than be stationed as an ILB prior to the bye week change.

Not sure if the settlement for the contempt motion has any bearing on the NFL's appeal of the Doty decision. Even if the league wins their appeal, Peterson has to get off on time served, so it all seems a bit moot except wrt legal precedent. (And Brady.)

You never want a letter of recommendation from Bretsky:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 6m6 minutes ago
    #Ravens source confirms team's worst fears on S Matt Elam - complete biceps tear, surgery, season-ending IR for him

This one is for smuggler, this is the most recent update I can find on the appeal/contempt of court action in Doty's decision in the Peterson case.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...terson-matter/
    So catch me up on this? What's outstanding?

He's been re-instated, but filed a suit (that didn't get resolved) to get re-instated, right? Now that he's back in, is it a moot point, or is he looking for financial compensation? Article talks about a contempt motion because they didn't submit his case to an arbritrator.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    So catch me up on this? What's outstanding?

He's been re-instated, but filed a suit (that didn't get resolved) to get re-instated, right? Now that he's back in, is it a moot point, or is he looking for financial compensation? Article talks about a contempt motion because they didn't submit his case to an arbritrator.
    There are two outstanding issues. One is the League's appeal of the Judge's overturning of the arbitration ruling. Federal Judges are supposed to give great weight to the arbitrator's ruling in contract cases. However, given that Doty is relying on a previous Fed Court ruling about ex post facto policy changes (and that ruling has stood), I don't see the appeal as very strong. Also not sure its decisive with Brady's case, as this one has much more to do with due process, though there is a claim (for both the phone and the equipment tampering) that Goodell changed the rules and policies again without notice after an incident.

The other issue is that after Doty's ruling, the NFL did not reinstate Peterson to be eligible. He put him on the Exempt List again. NFLPA is arguing that Goodell stands in contempt with this action. Since its well after the fact, this is mainly about contract service and bonuses. Though after his renegotiation, I am unsure how much this means to him.

The motion for contempt that the NFLPA filed depends on whether Goodell wanted to keep Peterson on the commissioner's list (players on this list still get paid, so Peterson didn't suffer much in the way of wage-based damages), or whether the Vikings wanted to keep him away from the team until the shitstorm settled a bit and requested he be kept there. If Goodell can show that the latter is true, the NFLPA's motion will fail. Mostly, this is just a case of the NFLPA being combative (and with good cause).

I still think the NFL will win it's appeal of the Doty decision, but it's academic at this point. It's a question of which precedent you apply. The precedent for courts to stand aside when two sides have agreed to binding arbitration, or the precedent of prohibition of retroactive punishment from being levied on employees by their employers (which certainly happened in the Peterson case). I think the arbitration precedent blankets the ex-post-facto precedent, so the league is in good shape. Even though Goodell is an arbitrary douche.