Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this guy the Packers next starter at CB?

Is this guy the Packers next starter at CB?

I doubt it. Not in 2015, anyway, But maybe we will see why they kept him on the roster after an up and down training camp last year. The off season fluff piece about Demetri Goodson:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...299280341.html

Then there's the 2014 sixth-round pick Goodson — a former Gonzaga point guard — who might be the best-kept secret on the roster.

He played zero defensive snaps as a rookie, finishing with six special teams tackles in six games.

He also starred daily on the scout team during practice. By Goodson's count, he picked off Aaron Rodgers "six or seven times."

The coaches must see something in him to keep him on the roster and let Williams and House walk. It is difficult for us to know seeing practices are closed to the public and media after TC concludes.

A fluff piece for sure, but his point about facing Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson in practice every day is a valid one. Plus, Whitt has been the best Packers position coach at developing young talent. I expect Hayward to start outside this year, but Goodson's speed and vertical may make him the better player there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    The coaches must see something in him to keep him on the roster and let Williams and House walk. It is difficult for us to know seeing practices are closed to the public and media after TC concludes.
    And must have seen something to keep him over Rolle. Still hurts that he left for Houston and ending up getting 3 INTs in 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    A fluff piece for sure, but his point about facing Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson in practice every day is a valid one. Plus, Whitt has been the best Packers position coach at developing young talent. I expect Hayward to start outside this year, but Goodson's speed and vertical may make him the better player there eventually.
    Plus, Hayward seems to play much better in the slot. He does most of his damage there.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    And must have seen something to keep him over Rolle. Still hurts that he left for Houston and ending up getting 3 INTs in 6 games.
    Did you see the INTs? I saw two and they were totally random. Guy was probably in the wrong spot on both of them.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Was thinking myself that he must've shown more than Rolle.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    We fans know nothing whatsoever about the extent of his development at this point. We have to wait until camp to have much of an idea. I think there's a good chance he's improved and I like his competitive mindset but how much is anyone's guess.

Our experience at Safety indicates that relying on a late round pick and/or UDFA to develop has its down-side risk. A relatively high draft pick this year rather than next would add to the competition and then if Goodson rises and earns playing time we would likely have a lot more confidence going into the year.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Our experience at Safety indicates that relying on a late round pick and/or UDFA to develop has its down-side risk. A relatively high draft pick this year rather than next would add to the competition and then if Goodson rises and earns playing time we would likely have a lot more confidence going into the year.
    On the other hand, the experiences with Shields and Williams indicate that you can find quality corners outside of thos drafted high. The Packers clearly need to bring in another quality prospect, but Goodson will be an interesting story to follow in camp.

Blog Entries
    Yep. Without looking it up (or even knowing where to find it) I'd say Ted's late/undrafted successes outnumber other GMs. Even at that though, the odds of finding success diminish considerably with each round. It can happen, and once they're on the team, where/whether they were drafted gets thrown out the window. But without knowing who, what, when and where at this point, the chances for a nameless rookie to come in and have quick success or challenge for the starting position/playing time in 2015 are higher if he's a high pick.

I wonder, especially given that safeties don't get paid like CBs, if they are truly easier to find than CBs. The Packers' experience would seem to indicate they are harder to find late.

Could also be a strength of Whitt's, and not such a strength of Perry's, to develop raw players.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Did you see the INTs? I saw two and they were totally random. Guy was probably in the wrong spot on both of them.
    I knew someone was going to come in here and say something like that. Who cares how he did it, the point is he did it. It just added to my questioning of why Goodson was kept over Rolle. I saw more from Rolle in the preseason then I did Goodson. Goodson looked lost and was always a step or two behind, yet he gets a spot on the 53 and Rolle is essentially cut.

If Goodson were a rookie, I wouldn't give him much chance of contributing. A year of practices and working with his coaches, plus apparent drive and athleticism, might allow him to challenge even a high draft pick this year.

I knew someone was going to come in here and say something like that. Who cares how he did it, the point is he did it. It just added to my questioning of why Goodson was kept over Rolle. I saw more from Rolle in the preseason then I did Goodson. Goodson looked lost and was always a step or two behind, yet he gets a spot on the 53 and Rolle is essentially cut.
    I tend to think it would be because they saw more potential in Goodson long term. Whichever one occupied that roster spot was not expected to play, and in fact Goodson didn't, so they weren't looking at immediate performance, but long term potential, I think.
    Last edited by Patler; 04-10-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I tend to think it would be because they saw more potential in Goodson long term. Whichever one occupied that roster spot was not expected to play, and in fact Goodson didn't, so they weren't looking at immediate performance, but performance long term, I think.
    Yes, I get that. But I was looking at short term and felt Goodson's performance in the preseason (sucked) that he'd be safe on the Practice Squad.

Shields is good for being out a game or two, Hayward - you had to worry about his hamstring injury coming back, House was wishy/washy and got hurt a lot too and Hyde was switching to safety. I'd rather have Rolle come in for a game or two over Goodson.

Yes, I get that. But I was looking at short term and felt Goodson's performance in the preseason (sucked) that he'd be safe on the Practice Squad.

Shields is good for being out a game or two, Hayward - you had to worry about his hamstring injury coming back, House was wishy/washy and got hurt a lot too and Hyde was switching to safety. I'd rather have Rolle come in for a game or two over Goodson.
    Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Hyde - there were five guys ahead of Rolle/Goodson for playing time at corner. I don't think they were worried that much about immediate contribution form the 6th CB on the roster. Rolle had spent a good portion of 2013 on the practice squad, so maybe they thought he was safer there than was Goodson because of his better athleticism or something.

I would like to have Rolle in the mix this year, but I suspect there are others of equal promise out there. Just need to find another one.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Carl Bradford, although drafted higher than Goodson, can be viewed as the same type of project since they likely thought of him as an OLB, and may now be looking at him at ILB. A lot of people commented in another thread about how he looked lost too. Welcome to the NFL, rook!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Who cares how he did it, the point is he did it.
    I do. And so should you. If Rolle was some sort of super stud, I'd be concerned about him getting away, and what that says about the Packer organization (but what about every other organization too? I mean it is Catawba college for crissakes). However, if more likely, he was just fortunately placed in an advantageous spot to grab a few INTs, it means just that. I suppose now we're all expecting a matchup between pro bowlers Jumal Rolle and Charles Johnson, right? Seriously, gotta be reasonable about these guys hanging on at the bottom of the roster. At least wait a few years before passing judgement. My prediction is that all these guys will look pretty marginal in the long run.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I do. And so should you. If Rolle was some sort of super stud, I'd be concerned about him getting away, and what that says about the Packer organization (but what about every other organization too? I mean it is Catawba college for crissakes). However, if more likely, he was just fortunately placed in an advantageous spot to grab a few INTs, it means just that. I suppose now we're all expecting a matchup between pro bowlers Jumal Rolle and Charles Johnson, right? Seriously, gotta be reasonable about these guys hanging on at the bottom of the roster. At least wait a few years before passing judgement. My prediction is that all these guys will look pretty marginal in the long run.
    Hey now, slow down there. No one is saying Rolle is the next "super stud," nor am I saying the Packers left a probowler go. My point was simply, 3 ints is 3 ints. You can't discount that no matter how he got them. For a a guy that was "hanging on the bottom of the roster," that's pretty damn good.

I'm not looking to get into a pissing match here, but Rolle outperformed Goodson in the preseason - plain and simple. Rolle continues his ascension in this league by getting picked up and then having a hell of an end of the year. During the same time, Goodson can't find the field. I, and others too, questioned why Goodson was kept over Rolle. Rolle getting on the Texans 53 then having the end of the year he did, only left us Packers fans questioning whether TT may have let a good player go - especially now since the CB position in Packerland is what it is with House and T-Will gone. That's all I'm pointing out. I can only go off of what I see, and I saw Rolle as the better option at the time. I'm not saying he'll be the next Revis or Richard Sherman, but I thought he was the better option over Goodson.

In my original post, I stated - they (the coaches), must have seen something in Goodson to protect him from being grabbed up. Unfortunately, I have no clue what that is. As a Packer fan, I hope they made the right move and until I see something positive from Goodson, I'm going to think Rolle was the better option.

Had House or Williams been re-signed, I don't think were having this conversation. But the fact that the CB situation in Packerland is what it is, I'm thinking the Pack would be in better shape if Rolle were still with the team.

^^^ Good post. I just wonder if Packer brass saw Goodson as having a higher ceiling. Still, both guys probably are depth at best. They will have to address that position in the draft or RFA, if for no other reason but to create competition.