Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: CURSED IN WISCONSIN AS PACKER...and BADGER FANS......IS IT REAL ??.CONSIDER

This past season Rodgers calf injury did us in IMO. It was remarkable how well he did on basically one leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This past season Rodgers calf injury did us in IMO. It was remarkable how well he did on basically one leg.
    I see Rodgers' injury in somewhat the same light as the calls that seemed to go against Wisconsin. I will always believe the Packers would have beaten Seattle if Rodgers had been healthy. However, I don't blame the loss on that because the Packers were still in a position to win the game anyway. Same thing with the Badgers. Even with some calls that went against them, they were in a position to win the game. It was their own failings that led to the loss, same as with the Packers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You now, when you take the claim from curse and nefarious plot and whittle it down to "c'mon more than one SuperBowl per QB" its hard to maintain the sense of outrage this thread desires.
    outrage is a strong word; you give me too much credit

I'm just getting my whip out trying to stir the pot just a bit to get some nice debate and arguments at a time when there is little going on in football

I should really make a topic like this at least once a week........or.........I wish somebody else would

Cheers
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Why so many disappointing playoff losses for our Green Bay Packers?
    I realize that this is not life and death…it is a game. But starting to think we are whammied.

The NFC Championship Game was just another in a long line of disappointing playoff losses for the Packers. I count a total of eight games in the last 20 seasons. I understand that many NFL fans have not had the opportunity to witness even a handful of playoff games in that span, so I know we're fortunate as fans to see winning teams year after year. That does not change the fact that we have endured what I consider to be a disproportionate number of heartbreaking playoff losses.....key losses with some terrible circumstances to boot.

I decided to make a list of those games in this forum. I’m wondering what you think are the most disappointing losses, and why.

Here is my list, in chronological order:

1). 1995 Season: NFC Championship Game. Lost to the Dallas Cowboys 38-27. Packers had the ball and the lead in the fourth quarter. After a Favre interception, the Cowboys took control and never looked back. In retrospect the way GB lost was a foreshadowing of many gut wrenching heartbreakers with Favre at the helm

2). 1997 Season: Super Bowl. Lost to the Denver Broncos. Packers came in as almost 14-point favorites, struggled throughout, gave up a TD with under 2-minutes left and lost when Favre’s 4th down pass to Mark Chmura fell incomplete. The play of that game still might have been a terrible short pass on 3rd down before Denver took the lead for good.....receiver wide open....just a terrible short throw if I recall correctly.

3). 1998 Season: Wild Card Round. Lost to the 49ers on a T.D. pass from Steve Young to T.O. with just seconds remaining. The Pack took the lead on a Favre TD pass to Antonio Freeman with a few minutes left, and the 49ers marched down the field to score the game winner. Notable on the winning drive was the fumble by Jerry Rice that was missed by the officials. Shortly after was the pass that began to create the TO monster.

4). 2003 Season: Divisional Round. Lost in OT to the Eagles. 4th and 26. ‘Nuff said.

5). 2007 Season: NFC Championship Game. Lost in OT to the Giants at home. Pack wins the toss in OT and Favre throws an interception on the second play of OT. To magnify the disappointment, the end-zone view showed a receiving option (Levens) wide open and Favre threw the ball to Donald Driver, who was well-covered. Incidentally, that was Brett Favre’s last play in a Packer uniform.

6). 2009 Season. Wild Card Round. Lost in OT to the Arizona Cardinals on a strip sack that was returned for a TD. On the previous play, Greg Jennings was wide open and Rodgers overthrew an almost certain game-winning TD pass. On the game-ending play, Rodgers was hit in the helmet and also had his facemask grabbed. No penalty was called.

7). 2013 Season. Wild Card Round. Lost to the 49ers on a game-ending field goal as time expired. Packers played a very solid game, and defended the 49ers option read relatively well. On the game-winning drive, the Packers had a golden opportunity on an out route that was jumped by Micah Hyde. He had clear sailing to the end zone for a game-winning pick 6; he dropped it.

8). 2014 Season. NFC Championship Game. Lost to the Seahawks. We all witnessed this; no need for further commentary.

***********and let's not forget the FAIL MARY ***********regular season game

As Badger Fans we have recently witnessed

a successful Hail Mary vs Michigan State that was reviewed on replay and ended the game,
    referees literally not allowing WI to snap the ball as time expired (of course they admitted air),

and in Basketball........when we had a chance to embrace our SHINING MOMENT......the one thing I've been asking for the past 25 years (A national title at UW Madison in either basketball or football before I die)...................

after I lean over and tell my daughters in the Dome At Indianapolis with just over 13 minutes left when we are up by 9 points......"in thirteen minutes we can be the national champions"

I witness the most epic meltdown in officiating I can recall in college basketball that included

1. A blatant charge by Winslow resulting in a foul on Dukon (-2points)
    2. Winslow stepping on the out of bounce line and on that possession here comes a 3 (-3 pts)
    3. An Obvious FLOP the refs fell for and called a charge on Dukon
    4. A replay clearly showing the ball off Duke and they keep possession and hit a 3 (-3pts)
    5. Another charge by Winslow against Hayes where nothing was called
    6, Constant Duke No Calls on consistent bumping and hard reaching in calls....see the offensive possession where UW times out for a shot and Frank just tossed it at the hoop as an example.......
    7 Not to mention in the 2nd half, after witnessing Coach K scream and yell at the refs at the end of the second half and halftime, they decided to plan there lips on his ass and change the way they officiated from half 1 to half2

Coupled with Decker not showing up, Bo making a couple terrible substitutions at the wrong time, and Jackson being completely lost in the second half.............

All of that together made the game unwinnable....................

It felt like the Seattle game............but the Referees were our Special Teams Unit..........

ARE WE CURSED ????? Have I missed anything ?
    You forgot the hose job in the desert against Arizona State in football. Badgers are cursed.

No disagreement with any of that; In fact, I'm really glad to see people pointing it out.

HOWEVER, Cursed ain't the correct word - because in spite of all that horrific shit with officiating, we have been BLESSED - not Cursed - as Packer and Badger Fans with pretty much a whole generation of GREATNESS.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I see Rodgers' injury in somewhat the same light as the calls that seemed to go against Wisconsin. I will always believe the Packers would have beaten Seattle if Rodgers had been healthy. However, I don't blame the loss on that because the Packers were still in a position to win the game anyway. Same thing with the Badgers. Even with some calls that went against them, they were in a position to win the game. It was their own failings that led to the loss, same as with the Packers.
    If Rodgers was 100% I truly believe we would have scored TDs on half of those turnovers in the first half and not FGs and our lead could have been insurmountable for Seattle to overcome.

I do agree - had the Badgers not shot the ball so poorly against Duke they would have won that ball game too.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    You forgot the hose job in the desert against Arizona State in football. Badgers are cursed.
    Bretsky also forgot the home playoff losses to the Falcons and the Gmen in 2011/12.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I always felt like the Packers were cursed with excessive injuries, but I'm pretty sure that's due to my own extreme myopia.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I always felt like the Packers were cursed with excessive injuries, but I'm pretty sure that's due to my own extreme myopia.
    I am reasonably certain, though its early and the sample size of a single season is small, that many of the fatigue injuries were self-inflicted.

It might not be a coincidence that updating nutrition, practice and schedules to something more consistent with current knowledge coincided with a very healthy year.

Now we just need M3 to update his planning on high-leverage scoring situations and they will be unstoppable.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^ All that may be true, but did the Packers really have overall more injuries over the past 12 years than other teams? That's the issue, and since I don't have the patience to do a thorough run-down of the league, I am assuming I think it's higher due to familiarity with the team. But, as more teams figure out "fatigue" and other factors, they will all adjust and everything will prob. even out again (except for the Browns, because, they are the Browns).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck