Thread: R.i.P. Lee Remmel

R.i.P. Lee Remmel

Packers historian Lee Remmel passed away today at the age of 90.

“He had a tremendous love for the organization, a tremendous love,” Harlan said. “Everyone had great respect for his ability as a writer, and certainly if you wanted a quick point in history, there was not a better source than Lee.

“Many times he and I would sit and talk about old, old times -- the Curly Lambeau era and when Vince Lombardi first came to Green Bay. I was always fascinated with the stories he had about those times.”

Indeed, Remmel’s memory of feats he witnessed and his recall of facts and figures became nearly as legendary as his career itself.

While at the Press-Gazette, he was the only sportswriter in Wisconsin to have covered the Packers throughout all of the team's coaching regimes to that point, beginning with Packers founder Lambeau. He witnessed his 100th Packers-Bears game on Nov. 12, 1995, in the 150th regular-season meeting of the arch enemies, and attended 125 contests between the rivals in his lifetime.

"He's a Packers icon," then-Packers quarterback Brett Favre said upon Remmel’s retirement following the 2007 season. "There will never be another like him. His knowledge of the team and its history has always been impressive. He is sharp as a tack when it came to those things -- truly impressive. He's always had a great sense of humor, too."

Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue once said that “no one is more synonymous with the Packers than Lee Remmel.”

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Respect.

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

I always loved reading his articles. RIP Lee.

He made it a long while. Sorry he's gone, but happy he led the life he did.

Blog Entries
    Yeah what a charmed life he had. He said many times that he believed he was the luckiest man on the planet to have witnessed so closely the greatest story in sports.

You know it's a unique tale when the chronicler becomes part of the legend because he can share it better than anyone else. He obviously has a ton of articles and recounts of the old days, but I wish he'd have written a book before his time came.

spoke to him on the phone once. rip Mr. Remmel.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I expect the team will honor him with a patch or helmet logo. I used to get the Packer Report back in the dark days and read it cover to cover. I enjoyed Mr. Remmel's contributions. It is cool to see someone cover the team so long that he himself connects with the history of the team. He was very fortunate, had a lot of cool access, and did his job well. RIP.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan