Thread: Joemailman's Packer Mock Draft 2.0

Joemailman's Packer Mock Draft 2.0

1. (30) Kevin Johnson - CB - Wake Forest 6-0/188

Athletic corner who has never missed a game due to injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../kevin-johnson

STRENGTHS: Lean, athletic build and is a legitimate NFL athlete with natural cover skills. Very light on his feet, showing great quickness and fluidity to turn and run with receivers when in man coverage, as well as excellent downhill burst back to the ball for zone.

He keeps his head on a swivel and doesn't panic when the ball is in the air, showing good timing on his leaps and the hand-eye coordination to pick off the pass. Johnson is aggressive and will bait quarterbacks, showing a terrific burst back to the ball.

He isn't an intimidating hitter but gets the job done, generally wrapping the legs of ballcarriers securely. Has played inside in nickel as well as outside.

Johnson toughness belies his light frame. He started 41 game at Wake Forest, never missing a game due to injury during his collegiate career.

WEAKNESSES: In coverage, Johnson does show occasional over-aggression, getting burned on double-moves by speedy receivers. Good height and competes in jump-ball situations, but he may struggle in this regard against the behemoths playing receiver in today's NFL.

Where his lack of size shows up most is in run support. Needs to show more awareness and aggression in fighting through blocks, as well as the toughness to deliver forceful hits on the ball-carrier.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

2. (62) Denzel Perryman - ILB - Miami 5-11/236

Tough inside linebacker who has some cover skills despite lack of height.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...enzel-perryman

STRENGTHS: Lacks desirable height but has the look of a prototypical inside 'backer with a stout, thick frame. Instinctive and tough. Showed improved closing speed and explosiveness as a tackler in 2014. Strong, active hands, agile feet and good use of leverage free him from blocks. Good burst and lower-body flexibility. Picks up routes quickly. Smooth hips to hitch himself to a crossing route and maintain stride-for-stride coverage on slot receivers. Durable. Voted team captain.

WEAKNESSES: Short, squatty frame that leave him overmatched at the line of scrimmage and best suited to remaining inside at the next level. Highly aggressive. Will occasionally takes false steps towards the line of scrimmage and leave himself trailing and vulnerable in play-action.

We have a trade. The Cincinnati Bengals trade their 3rd round pick (85) to the Packers for their 3rd round pick (94), 5th round pick (166), and 6th round pick (206).
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

3. (85) Clive Walford - TE - Miami 6-4/251

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../clive-walford

STRENGTHS: Impressive acceleration off the line to challenge down the seam. Quick, athletic receiver with the ability to catch the ball in stride and create mismatches with his athleticism, or line up wide and beat corners with his size and catch radius.

Generally reliable hands, with the ability to climb the ladder and utilize his large catching radius that scouts seek at the position.

WEAKNESSES: Lean lower body. Has struggled, at times, with mental mistakes over his career. Struggles as a blocker and has been plagued by drops in the past.

4. (129) Geneo Grissom - OLB - Oklahoma 6-3/262

Super-athletic player who played both TE and DE at Oklahoma

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../geneo-grissom

STRENGTHS: Grissom sports a rocked-up build that speaks to his commitment to the weight room. He also has a quick burst off the snap and can cross the face of tackles as an edge rusher.

His acceleration also shows up when chasing ballcarriers to the perimeter or in pursuit downfield. He possesses the strength to stack and shed would-be blockers at the point of attack and uses his long arms and strong hands to effectively latch onto and wrestle ballcarriers to the ground.

Perhaps most intriguing about Grissom's length and overall athleticism is the way he times his leaps to deflect passes at the line of scrimmage. Despite his limited playing time, Grissom knocked eight passes over the past two seasons, returning two of them for long touchdowns (38, 54) himself. Even if his initial impact is felt on special teams, it is clear that Grissom offers untapped potential.

WEAKNESSES: Grissom is a better athlete than football player at this time and given how often he switched positions at Oklahoma questions about his football instincts are fair.

Opponents are able to use Grissom's quickness and aggression off the snap to beat him, inviting him upfield before turning to seal him off or cutting him. Grissom is even more of a project in coverage, as he's a bit stiff and robotic, choosing to turn and run to gain depth rather than dropping back while facing the quarterback.

Grissom's acceleration and length make him a potentially formidable tackler, but he isn't a traditional hit, lift and drive tackler at this time, often either lunging at ballcarriers or attempting to latch on and pull them to the ground.

6. (210) Nick Perry - SS - Alabama 6-0/205

Smart physical safety who should contribute right away on special teams.

6. (213) Terry Poole - OT - San Diego St. 6-5/307

Athletic OT who projects at RT or RG in NFL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...23/terry-poole

STRENGTHS: He is a big, strong and has plenty of girth. Poole played both the left and right tackle with success. He proved himself capable of learning and adapting with success to both a new position and offensive scheme. He displays decent speed and feet. Poole has the power and speed to get movement in his run blocks. He demonstrated at the East-West Shrine Game he has the feet to play right tackle or guard. He also showed his ability to deliver a jarring hand punch during his time in St. Petersburg under the watch of NFL Scouts.

WEAKNESSES: Poole likely does not have the quick feet or athleticism to play left tackle at the next level. He was exposed by Kentucky defensive end Za'Darius Smith at the East-West Shrine Game. Smith propelled his performance to earn an invite to the Senior Bowl. Poole will get beat by speed and counter moves. Must learn to stay lower and keep his ability to anchor. He gets off balance does and must do a better job of sinking his hips.

7. (247) Jeff Luc - ILB - Cincinnati 6-0/251

A human Sherman Tank

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...37098/jeff-luc

STRENGTHS: Built like a Sherman tank with a compact, heavily-muscled frame that stood out even amongst the best-built players at the Senior Bowl. Quick to read run, attacking would-be blockers with a physical pop to disengage and make plays in the hole. Physical enough to potentially play inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Possesses 32" arms, which help him keep blockers from latching onto him. Shows some lateral quickness and flexibility to slip by blockers, surprising opponents gearing up for collisions. Has a short area burst to close, exploding into ball-carriers with enough force to knock the ball free (six forced fumbles in 2014) and shows excellent strength and hand-eye coordination to rip the ball free. Improved awareness in coverage in 2014. Took his game to another level as a senior, providing evidence that his best football may still be ahead of him.

WEAKNESSES: Strictly a two-down run-stuffer at the next level. Possesses less-than-ideal fluidity and straight-line speed for coverage responsibilities, perhaps in part because of his muscle-bound frame, which leaves him a stiff and lacking change of direction skills. Lacks the preferred speed to the perimeter and is too often beaten to the edge by backs. Only one season of impressive production at the collegiate level.

Blog Entries
    That's a great haul. My thoughts:

What a killer ILB crew that'd make. Both those guys have good instincts and are quicker than fast, but the Packers may need some range to cover in space in there somewhere. Burnett, Dix, Richardson and Hyde could help offset that and maybe more 3-deep coverage.

Kevin Johnson may have the most NFL-ready coverage skills in the draft and he's only going to fill out his body more as he matures and works with the training & nutrition staff.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of trading up 10 spots and giving up two additional picks for Walford. The Packers have some limitations at TE, but I think you have this year or next to add that. They're still the best offense in the league with what they have and I'm probably higher than a lot of guys on Quarless and Rodgers, particularly for how this offense is built. Cobb, Nelson, Adams and Janis can create a lot of mismatches and ARod just needs his TE's to be in the right spot at the right time and just catch the ball when it comes.

I think now is the time to bring a runner into the program though because Starks may be on his last year and you never know when Lacy could go down as much punishment as he takes and gives. Rookies can come in and run right away but in this offense it takes a year to learn protection schemes and timing in the run game. Maybe Neal is the real deal but it's a problem next year if they wait to see on him and he's not the guy.

I'd also take a flyer on another corner later instead of the 5th safety or one of the picks you traded away.

walford doesn't impress me, i mean he seems ok, but he doesn't sound any different then the other guys we already have

in fact it doesn't seem like there is that deep, field stretching TE in this draft (like finley was suppose to be)

Another Nick Perry? jk

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Another Nick Perry? jk
    yeah, i wonder how that would work on jerseys

perry - 1
    perry - 2

A TE who struggles with blocking and drops - sounds like a Finley replacement.

I just want the damn draft to be done with, so we can stop mocking the draft and start mocking the Browns' draft picks.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post

I just want the damn draft to be done with, so we can stop mocking the draft and start mocking the Browns' draft picks.
    I have TT taking Walford at #85. Finley was taken at #91. So Walford should be much better. I don't worry too much about how good of a blocker a TE was in college. Few are very good when they first come into the NFL.

well obviously he would be 6 better

Blog Entries
    I'd be pretty happy with this draft; my gut says I'll like those top 3 pix better overall than our own
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post

Why do they have it so late in the spring? I think teams' GMs have been ready for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'd be pretty happy with this draft; my gut says I'll like those top 3 pix better overall than our own
    Can you at least wait until after the draft to ruin these poor kids' hope of succeeding in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Why do they have it so late in the spring? I think teams' GMs have been ready for a while now.
    Marketability. Spreading out the offseason so the casual fan doesn't think there is an offseason.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.