Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backlash Begins: Is Davante Adams The New Boykin?

Backlash Begins: Is Davante Adams The New Boykin?

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/mccarth...eesehead+TV%29

Said McCarthy:

I would say Davante Adams, if you wanted a clear illustration of a player taking a jump in his second year, you just saw it. He's been tremendous in OTA's and he has more in front of him. He's done a great job in strength and conditioning. If you picked a MVP or an All-Star, he'd be at the top of the list.
    And from McCarthy last August:

Clearly, Jarrett Boykin has taken the next step. I just love the way he plays. He's had an excellent camp.

He's physical, his toughness, he's relentless. I think he's exceptional at the top of his route. You see his strength and balance to separate from a DB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    This only shows that McCarthy is the next McCarthy
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

lol

In fairness to Boykin, he played well on special teams. That play where he beat the punter to the ball was pretty awesome.
    I think Adams is probably a craftier route-runner, and certainly a better athlete. I don't think Boykin could consistently get separation. Plus all the youngun' WRs were bound to eat into his snaps. Who knows, maybe he was hiding an injury. Or just playing with bad pad level.

Adams will have to really improve to see the ball thrown his way, with Jordy and Cobb ahead of him on the depth chart.

Does Adams have a VPN?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    No, but he runs a good route(r).
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

He's the same thing, only different.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Not only a VPN, but a good STEM. From former Packer Matt Bowen:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...2nd-nfl-season

Asked recently by Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel what's changed heading into his second season, Adams laughed and said, "Everything."

He might not have the numbers of an Odell Beckham Jr. this upcoming season, given the Packers' balanced play-calling on offense and the overall talent at the wide receiver position in Green Bay. But Adams will continue to draw more favorable matchups in lining up with Nelson and Cobb in 2015, and that should create opportunities to produce quality tape in a system where he can produce big plays.
    This would be the start to the anti-backlash.
    Last edited by pbmax; 06-18-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Not only a VPN, but a good STEM. From former Packer Matt Bowen:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...2nd-nfl-season

This would be the start to the anti-backlash.

Not necessarily. He'll only have good numbers because he's getting favorable matchups thanks to Nelson in Cobb. In truth, he's only so-so. Oh, and Rodgers makes receivers better.

See? It's easy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

People are over-estmating the amount Adams is underestimated by opposing teams.

Blog Entries
    We draft two highly thought of WR's in back to back years

Is TT setting GB up to let Jordy Nelson walks after the current contract ????????????
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    A good GM doesn't just chase after yesterday's problems.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    We draft two highly thought of WR's in back to back years

Is TT setting GB up to let Jordy Nelson walks after the current contract ????????????
    Setting up to let Nelson go? No.
    Having options at WR? Yes.

You could ask the same question about Casey Hayward or Sam Shields at cornerback based on the draft this year.

According to Sportrac, Nelson, Cobb and Montgomery all will be FAs in 2019. Adams is actually the year before. Chances are, by then there will be another name or two in the mix of talks about who to keep and who to let go at WR. Could be Abbredaris, or Janis or a guy in college who none of us have heard of yet. Nelson will be 34 years old. He may not even want another contract. His hip might end his career before he even gets to that point. You never know which player might be the next Sterling Sharp, Nick Collins or Chris Borland.

TT isn't planning what he will do in 2019. Heck, he might not even be the guy in charge by then. But he does try to give the Packers options to deal with the situations that exist when the time comes.

When TT came to GB, he was faced with two guards in contract years, one expired, the other with an unmanageable roster bonus. One up in years and with an increasing history of injuries. The other in a position to demand a top contract as a FA if let go. Sherman left TT with no options on the roster to replace even one, let alone both. It was a bad situation.

This year the situation at CB was somewhat similar, with an older vet and a younger guy both hitting FA, and both getting contracts the Packers didn't want to have to pay. But there is hope at the position even with both having left, because last year CB depth in GB looked like WR might this year. Certainly a better situation than a few years ago when they had to pay Shields more than they would have liked, because they had little behind him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    People are over-estmating the amount Adams is underestimated by opposing teams.
    It's gonna be tough for teams to guard 'em all no matter which guys they want to put their best defenders on.

Let's not count our chickens before they wind up on IR.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Setting up to let Nelson go? No.
    Having options at WR? Yes.

You could ask the same question about Casey Hayward or Sam Shields at cornerback based on the draft this year.

According to Sportrac, Nelson, Cobb and Montgomery all will be FAs in 2019. Adams is actually the year before. Chances are, by then there will be another name or two in the mix of talks about who to keep and who to let go at WR. Could be Abbredaris, or Janis or a guy in college who none of us have heard of yet. Nelson will be 34 years old. He may not even want another contract. His hip might end his career before he even gets to that point. You never know which player might be the next Sterling Sharp, Nick Collins or Chris Borland.

TT isn't planning what he will do in 2019. Heck, he might not even be the guy in charge by then. But he does try to give the Packers options to deal with the situations that exist when the time comes.

When TT came to GB, he was faced with two guards in contract years, one expired, the other with an unmanageable roster bonus. One up in years and with an increasing history of injuries. The other in a position to demand a top contract as a FA if let go. Sherman left TT with no options on the roster to replace even one, let alone both. It was a bad situation.

This year the situation at CB was somewhat similar, with an older vet and a younger guy both hitting FA, and both getting contracts the Packers didn't want to have to pay. But there is hope at the position even with both having left, because last year CB depth in GB looked like WR might this year. Certainly a better situation than a few years ago when they had to pay Shields more than they would have liked, because they had little behind him.
    That's how I feel.

One of the refrains often heard about Favre's career is that his lone SB was because 'he didn't have the weapons'. Well, I think TT is making sure that's something that can't be said about Rodgers. He's keeping the cupboard stocked.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    That's how I feel.

One of the refrains often heard about Favre's career is that his lone SB was because 'he didn't have the weapons'. Well, I think TT is making sure that's something that can't be said about Rodgers. He's keeping the cupboard stocked.
    The thread about how TT runs the Packers links an article that brought up something I knew, but hadn't really thought too much about.
    In 2010, the leading receivers on a Super Bowl winning team were Jennings, Driver and Jones. By the 4th season later, not a single one was still on the Packers, and it didn't matter one bit.

Well if it's one position they scout and draft well for - it's the WR position.

They suck at just about all defensive positions, but they have a handle on scouting WR's.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Well if it's one position they scout and draft well for - it's the WR position.

They suck at just about all defensive positions, but they have a handle on scouting WR's.
    They seem to have gotten an idea for what they want at OL, too. They stumbled around in TT's early years drafting guys like Coston, Barbre, Moll, etc; and even Colledge and Spitz who were clearly nothing special at all. In recent years, Sherrod sticks out for the wrong reasons, but they were very solid with Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Bakhtiari, Linsley and I think Tretter if he is allowed to play at center where he was intended for. I think all are better than anyone in TT's first three drafts.

It's funny that a guy would played defense, like TT, isn't better at finding defensive talent than he has been. Has he actually been pushing the "need" button and reaching for guys on defense? Not even at his position, linebacker. He has drafted 16 of them so far and has brought in many more free agents.. A few have been serviceable, but only Matthews stands out. Not a very good track record.
    Last edited by Patler; 06-20-2015 at 04:34 PM.

It stands to reason he may be better finind O talent. I'm sure he spent his time dissecting offenses. Playing against offensive players. That said, he resurected Woodson, found shields, Mathews, Collins....Arod really makes him look like a genius as he makes the whole of the O better than its parts....