Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Benardrick McKinney, Revisited

Benardrick McKinney, Revisited

Earlier, I had sort of written him off, since a few reports questioned his coverage abilities. But after watching some tape, I find he has a degree of Dick Butkus : when he hits a runner, they stay hit; down immediately.
    I watched Paul Dawson tape & wasn't impressed. And Eric Kendricks almost seems like a glorified Brad Jones.
    I wouldn't mind TT taking him - and I'd also like to see Jake Ryan drafted by the Pack.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Earlier, I had sort of written him off, since a few reports questioned his coverage abilities. But after watching some tape, I find he has a degree of Dick Butkus : when he hits a runner, they stay hit; down immediately.
    I watched Paul Dawson tape & wasn't impressed. And Eric Kendricks almost seems like a glorified Brad Jones.
    I wouldn't mind TT taking him - and I'd also like to see Jake Ryan drafted by the Pack.

For me, Jake Ryan is kinda "meh." But I don't know what to make of the top ILB's listed. Your description of Kendricks is deflating, to say the least.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    For me, Jake Ryan is kinda "meh." But I don't know what to make of the top ILB's listed. Your description of Kendricks is deflating, to say the least.
    Yes, I think Kendricks is somewhat of a flaccid prospect.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

This ILB scouting is garbage.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This ILB scouting is garbage.
    !
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    !
    Remember to think of it as directional comment, not a qualitative one.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'd be okay with Kendricks... not thrilled, but okay. I think he'd plug the huge hole we have there.

I think McKinney and Anthony fit that bill as well. McKinney has the most upside...

If we pass on ILB in the 1st, and those guys are all gone by our 2nd pick... a guy I like a little further down is Ramik Wilson. Regardless of who we take further up, I'd like to see Wilson in Green and Gold.
    wist

I wholeheartedly agree with your last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with your last paragraph.
    I think there is some depth at ILB, just not top-end depth.

At the top of the ILB food chain are a handful of guys who belong in the 2nd round... we pick 30th, therefore it wouldn't chap my ass if went with one of those guys at that pick.

Beyond that, given our bare cupboard at the position, I think there are a few talented but perhaps slightly flawed guys further down that can surely make the club, and contribute in any number of ways; be it in subpackages or early downs. Some of these guys maybe lack size, or speed, or whatever... but they are good players.

I just want to make sure we come away from the draft with at least 2-3 viable ILB candidates, with 1 of them being penciled in as a starter along side Barrington.
    wist

I think Matthews is penciled in as a 2 down starter at ILB, regardless of the draft. If they hit on one like they did with Dix at S that could change. But CM3 is an ILB/OLB starter right now.

Even if they take an Anthony or Kendricks or McKinney, you still think CMII lines up inside on downs one and two?

Interesting.

I wonder sometimes why people say you can't rush as well from the inside. Seems like Clay could pick a gap and shoot it - and so take a pretty straight path to the QB. But maybe there's too many blockers inside.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Even if they take an Anthony or Kendricks or McKinney, you still think CMII lines up inside on downs one and two?
    Possibly. McKinney even talks of developing his skills to stay on the field on third down, but he would be bringing the run stopping thunder. Clay isn't out there to be the thumper.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

If they draft Anthony or Kendricks, I wonder if that signals that CMIII is your 1st and 2nd down ILB, and Anthony or Kendricks is your cover ILB.

KYPack

If they draft Anthony or Kendricks, I wonder if that signals that CMIII is your 1st and 2nd down ILB, and Anthony or Kendricks is your cover ILB.
    I've actually thought the opposite. It seems like it would be much easier to find a 2 down thumper and then have Clay be a third down LB.
    Go PACK

I agree with bossman. It would be *easier* to find the 2 down ILB, but better to find the 3rd down guy so CMIII can be on the edge for 3rd down.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I agree with bossman. It would be *easier* to find the 2 down ILB, but better to find the 3rd down guy
    probably could get both in this draft.

We can always hope. Heeney seems like a good coverage guy. Smallish and not so great at shedding blockers, but has good movement skills.

Matthews sure looked at home inside and his entire game was elevated. I don't know how he feels about this (his next contract won't be as high if he's mainly inside) but it seemed beneficial last year after a lackluster start.

But an effective interior combo might free him up outside as well, rather than having to worry about the gaps toward center.

If I am Ted, I tell Clay and Mike to let the coaches make that call and draft the mostly likely player to take a starting job inside, no matter who is there currently.

It may not work out that way if they get the guy they want at ILB and he catches on right away like Dix or Shields (or Hawk).

But it can't be the plan now to put Matthews outside, sit Perry and Neal and start Joe Thomas next to Barrington.

I would be stoked to get McKinney in the 2nd round. I don't think the Colts or 49ers would pass on him in rd 2, though.