Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Browns wanted to trade up with packers

Browns wanted to trade up with packers

Savage got a nibble from Green Bay at 16. Cleveland offered its first-round pick in 2008, and offered to flip picks with the Packers in rounds two, three and four. "I thought it was going to work,'' Savage said. "But they thought about it, called back and said no.''

si.com

If this is ture, I would have pulled the trigger on this trade.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Based on the usual value charts that could have been a horrible deal for GB!

We would be giving CLE a total of 1700 points (#16 = 1000; #47=430; #78=200; #112=70) and getting back this year a total of 883 points (#36=540; #67=255; #153=88).

For GB just to break even in point value, Cleveland's 2008 #1 would have to be in the top 20, and that doesn't take into consideration any "interest" on the "loan" of the #1 pick for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    Based on the usual value charts that could have been a horrible deal for GB!

We would be giving CLE a total of 1700 points (#16 = 1000; #47=430; #78=200; #112=70) and getting back this year a total of 883 points (#36=540; #67=255; #153=88).

For GB just to break even in point value, Cleveland's 2008 #1 would have to be in the top 20, and that doesn't take into consideration any "interest" on the "loan" of the #1 pick for a year.

Cleveland picks top 10 every year!

Absolutely, I would have done that deal in a heartbeat...

Go into next years draft with a likely top 10 pick (Cleveland's), and a another one in the 15-20 range???

TT said he doesn't really consider trading for next years #1 a viable approach b/c "too much can happen in a year"... what kind of logic is that???
    wist

They would have missed out on 34 picks by the time their turn came up again. That's too far down. You can't drop your mid-first round pick to drop into the second.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

WTMJ is saying that is not true, and that Cleveland only Offered their 2nd and the 1st next year, just like the Dallas trade, for our 1st.

the way the points are done for future, are by figuring as a #16 pick in every round...so the points end up being 1000 to 1560....but i donno. I personally would have done it...of course, I personally would have drafted Brady Quinn...BUT...it's all hindsite now, gotta move on.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    They would have missed out on 34 picks by the time their turn came up again. That's too far down. You can't drop your mid-first round pick to drop into the second.
    You pick up a probable top 10 next year!!! Dah...

And given that TT is just as likely to pick a 5th rounder in the 2nd round, what's the difference in trading down 34 spots, or 340 spots... TT's board doesn't appear to resemble anybody else's anyway.
    wist

Its the 16th pick in the round for future picks, but its devalued by one round for present value considerations, I believe.

So Cleveland's No. 1 next year would be valued as the 16th pick of the second round on the draft pick value chart. Value = 420 points

Quote Originally Posted by ND72
    WTMJ is saying that is not true, and that Cleveland only Offered their 2nd and the 1st next year, just like the Dallas trade, for our 1st.

the way the points are done for future, are by figuring as a #16 pick in every round...so the points end up being 1000 to 1560....but i donno. I personally would have done it...of course, I personally would have drafted Brady Quinn...BUT...it's all hindsite now, gotta move on.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Next year, having that high #1 would look pretty good - wouldn't it???

TT's way, we sit there at 16 again next year... and that's it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have two 1st's next year???

Then we could draft another DT, and another LB, in the 1st round... picking good players of course - but always with the proviso that "we pick the best players, we don't care if it improves the team".
    wist

A trade that would give up the 16th pick this year, have no net gain in the number of picks, AND delay the probable primary compensation until next year wouldn't make much sense to me.

TT showed quite early that he wasn't excited about any specific players in this years pool available after the first round by trading #47 and #235 to get #63, #89 and #191. It doesn't surprise me that he wasn't interested in switching spots with Cleveland in the second to move up.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Doesnt sound like such a great trade. Then watch the Brown be the feelgood story of 07 and turn the #1 they traded to DAL into the 31st overall. :P

I'm a little surprised that TT didn't go for that trade. Think of how many 6th round picks could be gotten by trading down from an extra first round pick.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

? HOFer
    Why would you guys do this? Dallas got a better deal.

If they gave us their second straight up, I would have done it.

But to flip flop picks in two rounds, and take a future first for giving up a first this year, is a terrible deal.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43

Go into next years draft with a likely top 10 pick (Cleveland's), and a another one in the 15-20 range???

TT said he doesn't really consider trading for next years #1 a viable approach b/c "too much can happen in a year"... what kind of logic is that???
    I have to say this and it goes beyond just logic:

With him (TT) at the helm.

What a load of hoseshit.

With that deal in. There would be an excellent opportunity for two top ten picks in 2008.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Too much is being made out of this. You trade your first round pick, it had better be for something special. Not simply just swapping pick position in a couple of rounds and a questionable 1st rounder next year.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

So win now or the fans are pissed. Might as well draft a guy that you think can help you do that.

Better trade out of the first round or the fans are pissed cause winning next year is the goal? You really cant have it both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27

I have to say this and it goes beyond just logic:

With him (TT) at the helm.

What a load of hoseshit.

With that deal in. There would be an excellent opportunity for two top ten picks in 2008.
    Or, we could have a top ten pick because we didn't add a playmaker in the first round, and the browns could win a superbowl.

In 5 years, we'll still be saying, "win now??? we don't need to stinking win now!!!".

TT doesn't have a 2 year plan, or a 3 year plan, or a 5 year plan... he has a 10 year plan - which, of course, means never having to fill a hole!!!

That sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it??? LOL
    wist

? HOFer
    In 5 years, we'll still be saying, "win now??? we don't need to stinking win now!!!".

TT doesn't have a 2 year plan, or a 3 year plan, or a 5 year plan... he has a 10 year plan - which, of course, means never having to fill a hole!!!

That sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it??? LOL
    I think we'll be very solid at just about every position across the board (short of possibly receiver; its tough to get a stud receiver) by the time Favre hangs his cleats up.

Also, keep in mind that TT has to have known what he was doing. He had to have known this pick wouldn't be popular with the fans and he would take a lot of flaming for doing it. I think he is convinced Harrell can be a pro-bowler. If his gut instinct is correct, than TT will keep his job. If this guy is another Corey Williams two years in, I don't know that he'll keep his job.