Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ODE TO TED---TOP 10 HITS and TOP 10 MISSES

Wist and (to a lesser extent?) red are so certain that he'll suck that I feel much better about the pick.

Thanks for your service. guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The Packers really need to hire you. You already know he's going to be terrible. Wow. You ought to be an NFL GM.
    No shit, huh, lol...

He's a midget, misses tons of tackles, takes bad angles...

By TT's way of evaluating though - those things mean nothing. All TT cares about is that he can run (which he can), and he can play the ball in the air (which he can).

So, we're going to be stuck with watching this midget bounce off of Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Johnson, and Kevin White - it is what it is.

I saw very little on tape that would warrant a 1st round pick - more like a 5th rounder. He's 185 lbs soaking wet...
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    So, we're going to be stuck with watching this midget bounce off of Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Johnson, and Kevin White
    That's a penalty!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Wist and (to a lesser extent?) red are so certain that he'll suck that I feel much better about the pick.

Thanks for your service. guys!
    he might turn into something decent in a couple years or 3, but our team is set up to win now with just a couple added pieces

almost everything you read on the guys says its gonna take time with him, but he should be able to set in on nickle and dime situations early and contribute on special teams

thats not what you want out of a first rounder IMO, that sounds more like a later round pick

I saw very little on tape that would warrant a 1st round pick - more like a 5th rounder. He's 185 lbs soaking wet...
    And Waynes is one inch taller and 1 pound heavier. So why did he go earlier? Because he can run, faster than Randall. And some of his angles look like crap on tape - when you're trying to find flaws. Try and get your story straight, guy. You always fall into the same trap - you have such vested interests in proving your negative viewpoints that you ignore straight up facts and/or make absurd, contradictory arguments.

By the way, the league doesn't agree with you. No one is drafting 'thumper' corners because, guess what, the rules have changed. You miss that one maybe?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    he might turn into something decent in a couple years or 3, but our team is set up to win now with just a couple added pieces

almost everything you read on the guys says its gonna take time with him, but he should be able to set in on nickle and dime situations early and contribute on special teams

thats not what you want out of a first rounder IMO, that sounds more like a later round pick
    By all accounts Sam Shields was a total moron coming in his first year. How'd that turn out? Ya think maybe the Packer organization has some confidence in their ability to get raw guys prepared and on the field? That's kinda their modus operandi, isn't it? Not a lot of old fellas on the Packers.

I couldn't find much video on the web. Do you gave links to the video you watched?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

I haven't read that at all. The Packers needed a cover guy for the dime, general depth and an influx of talent. This is that guy.

He won't start, Hayward and Shields will. He needs to play nickel and dime. Outside of maybe Waynes, I don't think there was a CB getting drafted this year that is going to unseat Hayward.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm not saying he'll "suck"... I just don't like smurf-like CB's that can't tackle. My expectation is that he'll primarily be our nickelback - which it would seem with this pick, Dom intends to go back to being our base.

From what I could see - he does some things well, and other things not so well - on top of the fact that he's a midget. He has a narrow frame - which means he won't be able to sustain the "fake weight" he put on for the combine.

I read a couple of scouting reports that said they thought he had added "fake weight" for the combine. Another criticism is that he is an "ankle biter" tackler, i.e. he dives at guys feet b/c he's so slight of frame that's his best chance of getting the guy on the ground - no way could he play safety at the NFL level - he's simply too small.

Don't see how he can compete with NFL WR's on the outside - best case scenario is that he'll be a competent nickelback.
    wist

Trust the Beard!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I couldn't find much video on the web. Do you gave links to the video you watched?
    I stumbled onto a couple of yahoo's who seemed to be living in their moms basement, lol... nerds that had no life.

But they had a lot of tape of Randall, and played it back in forth trying to evaluate him. Unfortunately I was watching it on my TV - which cut out, and when I got it back I couldn't find it again... I only originally found it after chasing a search down a rabbit hole. I'll try to find it again, b/c that was the most footage I found on Randall. Everything else was just highlight nonsense that didn't show much.
    wist

I'm not saying he'll "suck"... I just don't like smurf-like CB's that can't tackle. My expectation is that he'll primarily be our nickelback - which it would seem with this pick, Dom intends to go back to being our base.

From what I could see - he does some things well, and other things not so well - on top of the fact that he's a midget. He has a narrow frame - which means he won't be able to sustain the "fake weight" he put on for the combine.

I read a couple of scouting reports that said they thought he had added "fake weight" for the combine. Another criticism is that he is an "ankle biter" tackler, i.e. he dives at guys feet b/c he's so slight of frame that's his best chance of getting the guy on the ground - no way could he play safety at the NFL level - he's simply too small.

Don't see how he can compete with NFL WR's on the outside - best case scenario is that he'll be a competent nickelback.
    Go look at the combine video. The guys has a solid build. I really don't know what the fuck you are talking about. The guys who are a couple inches taller are rangy - have to be to keep up speed. You start sacrificing quickness in and out of breaks for that height. The height doesn't matter if you can't stick and move. This guy can. Good feet. Good quickness turning and running. Not everyone can be tall and fast like Richard Sherman (btw, Sherman has the same 40 time as Randall).

I stumbled onto a couple of yahoo's who seemed to be living in their moms basement, lol... nerds that had no life.

But they had a lot of tape of Randall, and played it back in forth trying to evaluate him. Unfortunately I was watching it on my TV - which cut out, and when I got it back I couldn't find it again... I only originally found it after chasing a search down a rabbit hole. I'll try to find it again, b/c that was the most footage I found on Randall. Everything else was just highlight nonsense that didn't show much.
    vince has game cutups of him in the Demarious thread.

No shit, huh, lol...

He's a midget, misses tons of tackles, takes bad angles...

By TT's way of evaluating though - those things mean nothing. All TT cares about is that he can run (which he can), and he can play the ball in the air (which he can).

So, we're going to be stuck with watching this midget bounce off of Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Johnson, and Kevin White - it is what it is.

I agree with your analysis

I would add Damarious Randall to the misses list... it's official - terrible pick.
    Bump!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bump!!
    He's soft... still don't want him. You guys like soft players, TT likes soft players, and the Packers are a soft team... I'm stuck with the lot of you

TT being a LB in the league once upon a time, you'd think he'd like tough football players, but given a choice between a soft player and a tough player, he'll take the soft player every time. I don't get it... I guess he likes to see his teams get their asses kicked year after year in the playoffs against much tougher teams.

To make matters worse, we're not even the best team in our division anymore... and yes, Minnesota is a much tougher football than Ted's ballarinas.
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Back to Bretsky's original point of the thread, I like the supplemental lists of hits that posters provided.

If you look at the JS Online list, http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...301633121.html my take-away from the worst 10 picks list is that there is a distinct difference between busting out because of injury vs. someone who couldn't play at the NFL level.

Injury list=Justin Harrell, Derek Sherrod, Jerel Worthy, Kyrhi Thornton, Abdul Hodge, Alex Green

Stiffs=Brian Brohm, Pat Lee, Cory Rodgers, Jerron McMillian

By my count that's 6 injuries to 4 stiffs. I know ultimately a bust is a bust whether because of injury or because the guy isn't NFL-caliber. I think it's unfair to hang the bust label on a guy who gets injured and isn't able to play, or gets injured, comes back, but ultimately can not play. Was that because of the injury or injuries? Hard to know for sure. How should that hang on the GM? Sometimes it's just bad luck.

TT must own the guys on the stiffs list, but shouldn't for the guys on the injury list. If you need to put Thornton on the stiffs list because his hamstring injury seemed a bit like a "red-shirt" year, I'll give you that one. He was over-drafted whether injured or not. Brohm was a system guy at Louisville, like drafting a Mike Leach QB from his spread system. Highly productive, but it doesn't necessarily transfer to the next level. Pat Lee and Jerron McMillian looked lost. Cory Rodgers was obviously fool's gold. The Niners had him in after the Packers and he lasted 3 weeks on their practice squad. Then he went to the CFL, had a small amount of production in two seasons and by 2009 was done. To me, Cory Rodgers (not Justin Harrell) is TT's biggest bust, because he was hyped, wasn't injured and never made it on the roster after being drafted in the 4th round. Ouch!

All GM's miss, but I think you must discount the misses due to injury. Sure, the guys who got injured may have never been All-Pro, but it's hard enough to play the sport, let alone having to deal with either catastrophic or nagging injuries. TT has done an exceptional job of building a complete roster. He doesn't necessarily draft big name guys, with obvious notable exceptions, or ones that some fans know the best coming out of college, but most of the time, the ones he drafts/signs that ultimately make the roster, can play.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-08-2016 at 07:01 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

He's soft... still don't want him. You guys like soft players, TT likes soft players, and the Packers are a soft team... I'm stuck with the lot of you

TT being a LB in the league once upon a time, you'd think he'd like tough football players, but given a choice between a soft player and a tough player, he'll take the soft player every time. I don't get it... I guess he likes to see his teams get their asses kicked year after year in the playoffs against much tougher teams.

To make matters worse, we're not even the best team in our division anymore... and yes, Minnesota is a much tougher football than Ted's ballarinas.
    Ironically, the soft defense dominated the top NFL offense in the playoffs. But you don't really care about facts, do you.

Carolina_Packer, I don't like to label guys who get injured and then can't play as true busts either because we can never know if they were stiffs or not. I wonder if getting burned by injured high draft picks in the past caused Ted to pass on J. Smith and Jack in this last draft?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Ironically, the soft defense dominated the top NFL offense in the playoffs. But you don't really care about facts, do you.
    You could say that Randall's brain failed him in an important way in OT. Its obvious and I knew it long ago that T2 loves dumb, athletic players.

He has now over-corrected now with his 2016 draft of valedictorians. But too late to help Rodgers. All is lost, we can only wait for someone clearly better like Eliot Wolf to take charge.