Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ODE TO TED---TOP 10 HITS and TOP 10 MISSES

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    He's soft... still don't want him. You guys like soft players, TT likes soft players, and the Packers are a soft team... I'm stuck with the lot of you

TT being a LB in the league once upon a time, you'd think he'd like tough football players, but given a choice between a soft player and a tough player, he'll take the soft player every time. I don't get it... I guess he likes to see his teams get their asses kicked year after year in the playoffs against much tougher teams.

To make matters worse, we're not even the best team in our division anymore... and yes, Minnesota is a much tougher football than Ted's ballarinas.
    And here's the tough guy you like.
    http://www.buffalobills.com/video/vi...5-1867e40d9c30

And how about that ankle bite at about 1:50... ?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Carolina_Packer, I don't like to label guys who get injured and then can't play as true busts either because we can never know if they were stiffs or not. I wonder if getting burned by injured high draft picks in the past caused Ted to pass on J. Smith and Jack in this last draft?
    I seem to recall Denver Yoop expressing that sentiment in a previous post. If you look at that list of 10 failures, and 6 of them were related to a medical issue, I'm sure as a GM that would make you re-evaluate your on-boarding process. Once bitten, twice shy, I guess.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

...and he pushed the guy out of bounds at about 1:25 , another criticism of GB's "softy" .

Looked like he might have slid off a tackle just before that, but help came.

All in one game!!

lol... he's taking the outside away dummy - do you understand angles?? Leverage?? Duh...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Ironically, the soft defense dominated the top NFL offense in the playoffs. But you don't really care about facts, do you.
    Always said I like a lot of the players, especially in the front seven since TT decided defense was an actual part of the game... Most of our defensive problems of late are b/c of dunderdummy.

And when the game is on the line, we get crap like that 2 play, 45 second drive that ended our season.

Don't you think that some blame should be assessed when you only win 2 SB's in the span of 25 years, all the while rostering 2 HOF QB's?? Something's wrong with that picture... but it's good enough for you guys. Not for me.

I want to win championships.
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Lol wist. Making excuses again. never say die dude. Yeah it really sucks to have another HOF QB on the heels of the last. And be in the playoffs every year and draft at the bottom of the first round most of the time.

The league is designed to prevent repeat champions and only a handful of teams defy the yoke of parity.

But don't let me stop you. Two Super Bowls in 25 years sucks. Yeah it feels good to say it!!

Blog Entries
    lol... he's taking the outside away dummy - do you understand angles?? Leverage?? Duh...
    Yeah I understand angles and leverage. Do you understand prevaricative grandiosity....?

Yeah I understand angles and leverage. Do you understand prevaricative grandiosity....?
    I said I didn't think he'd suck - he doesn't suck, and for the record I hope he plays great. Contrary to what you guys may think, I do want to win championships.

I hope he improves and that we have a good corner for the next 7-8 years. That said, I wanted the more physical player, and IMO opinion, and the opinion of most of the football world - the better player, but TT sees DB's differently.

The consensus around the league is that Darby is a better player than Randall. I thought that on draft day, and I think it's true today.
    wist

I said I didn't think he'd suck - he doesn't suck, and for the record I hope he plays great. Contrary to what you guys may think, I do want to win championships.

I hope he improves and that we have a good corner for the next 7-8 years. That said, I wanted the more physical player, and IMO opinion, and the opinion of most of the football world - the better player, but TT sees DB's differently.

The consensus around the league is that Darby is a better player than Randall. I thought that on draft day, and I think it's true today.
    What about the other 25-30 corners you would have taken over him--since you had him as 5th round pick?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

He may very well be, but how do you know the consensus around the league? What you know is maybe a summary of the media, which you support by helpful public statements of players or a random scout or head office guy; however, I seriously doubt you have any insight into a general league consensus about any player, let alone these two.

What you have is your opinion, just like the rest of us.

...and, of course, when Randall does the same thing, he's not......because he is soft?????

Don't you think that some blame should be assessed when you only win 2 SB's in the span of 25 years, all the while rostering 2 HOF QB's?? Something's wrong with that picture... but it's good enough for you guys. Not for me.

I want to win championships.
    Yes, wist43 is clearly the superior fan to any of the rest of us................., because no one cares like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He may very well be, but how do you know the consensus around the league? What you know is maybe a summary of the media, which you support by helpful public statements of players or a random scout or head office guy; however, I seriously doubt you have any insight into a general league consensus about any player, let alone these two.

it sounds good, though, when you state it like a fact. Of course, the actual facts, the actual numbers of the two players tell another story, a story Wist not surprisingly ignores, because it doesn't fit his preconceived notion of how things are and should be. Darby started 15 games; Randall 9. If you project Randalls numbers out over 15 games, he far surpasses Darby's (he has more INTs in 9 games than Darby - IIRC it is 3-2). I looked carefully at the number of plays each had, and Randall is more productive than Darby per play. Remember, Wist doesn't gather information and make informed opinions - he starts with conclusions and only accepts information that agrees with him. That is his history on these forums, unfortunately.

As far as the league goes, I was unable to find ANY direct comparisons, but there are plenty of equally complimentary articles:

Darby:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-a-shutdown-cb

Randall:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...l-cover-corner
    "One of the most iconic moments of his young career was captured on the Packers' Instagram account in that game, when Randall laid a punishing hit on Kansas City's Charcandrick West. Randall is showing traits of being a physical enforcer that were not part of his draft profile."

They are not directly compared here, but they are on the list of top corners. Again, with fewer snaps, Randall has comparative numbers

http://www.allmediany.com/news/57517...l-lock-it-down

Early on, Darby was considered a better corner mostly because he started on Day 1 and had a head start over Randall. He also is simply a very good corner. So too, it appears is Randall. Both good draft picks.

Finally, I discovered there is a cute woman out there named 'Darby Randall' and a dumpy guy named 'Randall Darby.' Search Google at your own risk.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

He's soft... still don't want him. You guys like soft players, TT likes soft players, and the Packers are a soft team... I'm stuck with the lot of you
    Yes, I've noticed that, too. So often TT and many on here downgrade players because they just aren't soft enough.

You have an opinion that Randall is soft. Many of us do not believe that he is soft. He did not seem to play soft at all last year, from what I recall, and I don't understand why you continue in your argument that he is soft. I'm getting old and forgetful, but I don't recall a single play when I got frustrated with him for lack of a physical approach to the play, as I so often did with Tramon Williams and do at times with Sam Shields. Randall may not be a physical specimen at CB, so may not make stunningly physical plays frequently, but that doesn't mean he plays soft, in my opinion.

Yes, wist43 is clearly the superior fan to any of the rest of us................., because no one cares like him.

My worst fault is that I care too much.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My worst fault is that I care too much.
    you, sir, are ready for your interview.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Of course, but the difference between myself and the rest of you weak-kneed pussies is that you don't like my take, so you turn it personal and go to great lengths to attack me. I'm not wired that way. Petty personal shit doesn't bother me to the point where I'm going to invest my all-too limited time and go back dig up archives just to poke one of you fucks in the eye. Can't begin to fathom how much time it takes for you guys to engage in that petty bullshit.

I'm so short of time these days, that I'm only able to spend a few minutes online on most days... if the light indicates that I'm logged in, it's more than likely I just didn't close the page as I had to run off and live my life. I've got 3 young kids, work full time on an opposite shift from my wife - so we don't have to put our kids in daycare. It would be easier to just let the schools and day care raise our kids like the rest of America, but we don't want that, so we sacrifice.

Get over yourselves and offer up an opinion. No need to get your greasy panties in a twist b/c you don't someone else's take.
    wist

Of course, but the difference between myself and the rest of you weak-kneed pussies is that you don't like my take, so you turn it personal and go to great lengths to attack me. I'm not wired that way. Petty personal shit doesn't bother me to the point where I'm going to invest my all-too limited time and go back dig up archives just to poke one of you fucks in the eye. Can't begin to fathom how much time it takes for you guys to engage in that petty bullshit.

I'm so short of time these days, that I'm only able to spend a few minutes online on most days... if the light indicates that I'm logged in, it's more than likely I just didn't close the page as I had to run off and live my life. I've got 3 young kids, work full time on an opposite shift from my wife - so we don't have to put our kids in daycare. It would be easier to just let the schools and day care raise our kids like the rest of America, but we don't want that, so we sacrifice.

Get over yourselves and offer up an opinion. No need to get your greasy panties in a twist b/c you don't someone else's take.
    Wist, I think you should read your own comments to see who raises the personal attacks. Mnny of your remarks contain personal criticisms, the rest of us like soft players, unlike you; the rest of us don't want to win championships, but you do; the rest of us don't understand, but you know what the league knows; the rest of us don't......etc. Quite frankly, I have tired of your criticisms of the rest of us, so this morning I decided to simply turnaround a few toward you from this page and the preceding page of only this thread. I didn't venture any further than yesterday of this thread, because I finally read it. Of course, you immediately get your panties in a bunch and tell us how mistreated you are (never making a personal comment yourself); how difficult YOUR life is, (as if none of us have ever experienced or are not now experiencing difficulties ourselves perhaps just as bad, perhaps even worse).

signed;
    One of the "weak-kneed pussies" (from you above "well-reasoned" analysis)
    Last edited by Patler; 05-09-2016 at 01:47 PM.

What's interesting to me is that those people like Wist - the ones who that claim they want or expect more out of their teams than other (implicitly lesser) fans - seem to think that accrues them more man-points, or makes them better fans somehow. It's strange, because their supposed larger (and somehow therefore better) desire has no impact on what Ted Thompson does, or Mike McCarthy, or anyone. I'm not quite sure what the leg-up is on us fans who want the Packers to win but recognize that success is exceedingly difficult to attain in the NFL.

Sometimes I agree with Wist on particular players, but I am really turned off by those tirades in which Ted Thompson, and anyone who admires his work, is addressed as "liking" soft players, or not caring about stopping the run, or whatever it is. Sure, their are trade-offs in the NFL. The resources are limited. You can't have an All-Pro at every position. But this business of Thompson or McCarthy not caring about stopping the run, or not caring about having a tough team - that's pretty ridiculous.

But back to my original point. I'm not quite sure why some fan getting angrier than I do about the Packers not winning more Super Bowls somehow means I am a lesser fan.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    What's interesting to me is that those people like Wist - the ones who that claim they want or expect more out of their teams than other (implicitly lesser) fans - seem to think that accrues them more man-points, or makes them better fans somehow. It's strange, because their supposed larger (and somehow therefore better) desire has no impact on what Ted Thompson does, or Mike McCarthy, or anyone. I'm not quite sure what the leg-up is on us fans who want the Packers to win but recognize that success is exceedingly difficult to attain in the NFL.

Sometimes I agree with Wist on particular players, but I am really turned off by those tirades in which Ted Thompson, and anyone who admires his work, is addressed as "liking" soft players, or not caring about stopping the run, or whatever it is. Sure, their are trade-offs in the NFL. The resources are limited. You can't have an All-Pro at every position. But this business of Thompson or McCarthy not caring about stopping the run, or not caring about having a tough team - that's pretty ridiculous.

But back to my original point. I'm not quite sure why some fan getting angrier than I do about the Packers not winning more Super Bowls somehow means I am a lesser fan.
    There is a new poster on packersnews.net who espouses this kind of thinking too. It is rather silly and baseless, frankly. We ALL care and want the team to succeed. But we realize even if you assemble the best team in the league a lot of other factors play into things not going your way and it isn't anybody's fault. Call it fate or luck but usually the healthiest team playing well at the end of the year more often than not wins it all. I doubt anyone would say the Giants were the better team when they beat NE and ruined their perfect season.