Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bob's PreDraft Article and Mock

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    pb, I guess by that reasoning it makes sense to trade down for Cody Fajardo and Brett Hundley if you have the 1st pick in the draft and need a QB. Winston might get hurt or turn out to be a bust. Everybody approaches deal-making differently. I see "value" as very subjective. It depends on specific team needs and wants. That's all I'm saying. You have a specific need to fill, the guy who can best fill it is available, take him.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    pb, I guess by that reasoning it makes sense to trade down for Cody Fajardo and Brett Hundley if you have the 1st pick in the draft and need a QB. Winston might get hurt or turn out to be a bust. Everybody approaches deal-making differently. I see "value" as very subjective. It depends on specific team needs and wants. That's all I'm saying. You have a specific need to fill, the guy who can best fill it is available, take him.
    There are constraints though. I doubt any team has either of those prospects rated with Winston and Mariota. There are also reasons to trade up.

This season is a great test of this. Everyone went into the offseason thinking ILBs. But now, you hear a lot more talk about CB and OLB, even D Line. A lot depends on the weakest link in the chain. If you actually believe Bradford can play and help get Matthews back outside (or even just be a reliable backup or 3rd down guy) then that might increases the chance you take the CB and then try to finagle your way to an ILB in the second.

If Matthews is privately raising hell about being inside and Bradford is a complete unknown, then ILB becomes the focus and they might go back a few spots and take the best ILB in the top 1/3 of the second round as their first pick.

The biggest constraint here is getting a trade to a spot you want, for a reasonable price. And that really depends on two things you can't control (other teams and your player grades).

There is also the unknown. Did Thompson have a first round grade on Dix? Many thought both safeties were marginal first rounders. Perhaps each year Ted went with need was a spot where there we either couldn't trade back to a reasonable number or he had run out of players with appropriate grades for that round.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-30-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Can't argue with any of that: Value is in the eye of the beholder. That's why the Dutch and the Indians could make a mutually agreeable trade for the Island of Manhattan.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

There is only so much we know. Lots of picks bust out. In a way, the draft is a testament that teams KNOW who will make good pros, but really what they know is who are the 20 or so that fall into similar projections.

But faced with a situation where having a higher pick is no guarantee, and that you will always need more than one player from a draft to contribute, the number of draft picks you have is as important and how high they are.

That doesn't mean all the 7th round picks are better bet than a #10 pick in Round 1 and a #9 pick in the second. But it does mean that you don't want to trade the rest of your draft to get there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Can't argue with any of that: Value is in the eye of the beholder. That's why the Dutch and the Indians could make a mutually agreeable trade for the Island of Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is only so much we know. Lots of picks bust out. In a way, the draft is a testament that teams KNOW who will make good pros, but really what they know is who are the 20 or so that fall into similar projections.

But faced with a situation where having a higher pick is no guarantee, and that you will always need more than one player from a draft to contribute, the number of draft picks you have is as important and how high they are.

That doesn't mean all the 7th round picks are better bet than a #10 pick in Round 1 and a #9 pick in the second. But it does mean that you don't want to trade the rest of your draft to get there.
    Except if you're the Eagles.

red, LOL.

Bob had Randall going at pick #20.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson