Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jake Ryan, 2015 Fourth Round Pick

He looks serviceable at best. I think he will get pushed around and be caught off balance quite a bit at the next level. I will echo everyone's sentiments about him being a crappier version of Hawk. The question is, will he be be a little less crappy than Hawk or a lot crappier than Hawk? i'm not sure I can stomach the latter.

I don't know why, but I think he will be just fine in GB. (Maybe we will find out once and for all if my endorsement is the kiss-of-death only for O-linemen, or if it is more broadly applicable.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Passing on Alec Ogletree in 2013 had to have been a lot harder for Ted than passing on any of the ILB talent in this draft.

Its not the sexy madden move you'd drool over but there's no ILB at pick #30 I like better than Jack Ryan at #129. Part of the collective groan in this thread is that fans can already tell he's going to easily take the job and boringly make the routine stuff look routine. If we're being honest with ourselves we're all annoyed because we can just see him clogging up the next decade being that guy you'd love to upgrade but somehow always finds a way to win his job every year. There's certainly no corner at #129 who I'd trust to not lose games so in that respect I think this turned out rather nicely. I just wish we could have gotten one or two more guys like Jack to injury proof the position so we can keep Clay outside where he has a chance of being worth his paycheck.

And while there is nothing about Jack that's boner worthy there is some stuff to get excited about. He seems to find the ball quicker than Hawk ever did at ILB. You never see running plays go through his gap a la Poppinga. Best of all, the man's tough as shit which we're going to need after losing Hawk. He tore is ACL in the spring and was back playing football in October. That's insane. Also he's old for a rookie at 23 so a decade of reliable mediocrity is probably pushing it.
    Good post as usual 3irty1. He doesn't look like the sideline-to-sideline playmaker many of us were hoping for (and the Packers don't appear to have) but he'll help improve the position and that may well be all they need. I'm coming around quickly on how scheme can mesh with the personnel.

In nickel/dime situations, which we know is a majority of snaps, they'll only have one of the group of ILB's on the field anyway. Hyde, Burnett, Dix, and quite possibly even Richardson, Rollins, et al can play in the box and cover better than any ILB while holding their own against the run, draws, screens, etc.

I'll bet he was good at getting his teammates lined up correctly too.

"He just loves the game. I don't know if there was ever a day, and I had him for four years, there was never a time when he didn't come to meetings excited. He played hard all the time. You never had to get on him about the things that you had to with some guys.

"That's why it's the perfect fit for the kind of organization that Green Bay is."
    from http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...gan-linebacker
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

On the plus side, same article above rom Demovsky mentions he did his ACL rehab in 6.5 months. So that might argue for his not being fully up to speed in his first year post-surgery.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't know why, but I think he will be just fine in GB. (Maybe we will find out once and for all if my endorsement is the kiss-of-death only for O-linemen, or if it is more broadly applicable.)
    +1
    Let's give the kid a chance. Even if he doesn't wow with his physicality or athleticism, he might have enough. Plus, if his key and diagnose ability on plays is good, he might be able to out-think the opposing offense to make up for any short-comings.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Not really. Almost all of the rankings that I saw had Randall higher.

CBS had Randall at #37 and Anthony at #72.
    Scouts Inc. had Randall #38 and Anthony at #50.
    USA Today had Randall #36 and Anthony at #43.
    Kiper had Randall at #31 and Anthony at #57.
    McGinn had Randall mocked going #20 and Anthony not in the first round.
    yeah, when you look at "big boards" he's usually ranked higher the anthony. however guys like kendricks and perryman were also usually ranked higher then randall

i looked at mocks more then big boads, and many if not most of the mocks i saw had anthony going before randall

also, it wasn't until the last week before the draft that randall started to shoot up big boards, i wonder what the reasons for that was? what changed?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I'll bet he was good at getting his teammates lined up correctly too.

from http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...gan-linebacker

I'm not sure how coming to meetings with a boner is, as 3irty1 used the phrase, "boner-worthy" for fans.

But I do hope the guy ends up being a really good player.

We shall see. We get all freaked out because a guy isn't on Mel Kiper's radar, or because Todd McShay tells us that ILB is GB's biggest need. But I think TT has a good, really good, track record compared to other GM's, and as Bob McGinn pointed out, the talking heads on the networks are not scouts.

So we read their blurbs on the top players, we study maybe sixty or a hundred players (a very generous estimate) by watching YouTube videos and maybe looking up info, and then we go ballistic when TT doesn't draft the known names we fancy are the best players.

Sure, it's fun to guess and put the opinions out there, but this vitriolic judgment of some posters is clearly about more than the draft picks no one, not even TT or Hoody Genius or John Schneider, can be certain of.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    also, it wasn't until the last week before the draft that randall started to shoot up big boards, i wonder what the reasons for that was? what changed?
    I read one article that said teams have had him there for a long time, it just took a while for the media (what we see) to catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    That's been mentioned before. Rocketing up the draft boards is draft-nik speak for we just found out teams like this player much more than we do. Teams don't begin to put their board together until a month to go before the draft. Any talk about a board in Jan/Feb/most of March is baloney.

gotcha, makes sense

although, i should note that anthony was also shooting up those big boards, just not as much as randall

and he did end up going 32. so him going 30 wouldn't really be a reach then
    Last edited by red; 05-06-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm not sure how coming to meetings with a boner is, as 3irty1 used the phrase, "boner-worthy" for fans.
    I am just stunned there is still a market for this kind of tale.

Wilde* often remarks that he likes telling engaging stories about the players and teams more than X and Os. But he has also learned that he doesn't really know any of the players at all (after seemingly good guys turned out to be less than pristine - Sharper for example).

He hasn't connected the dots between the two and realize that much of what passes for coverage is inanity and less consequential than cotton candy.

*Its a Demovsky story but Wilde has talked about this before

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ILB was a position of need for draft/FA, but where does ILB rank on overall position importance, particularly on the Packers? I'd say it's pretty low; that's why TT isn't gonna reach at all, and is comfortable drafting an ILB later in the draft.

Quick internet search:

Bleacherreport
    15: OLB
    14: Run stopping DE
    13: OG
    12: ILB*
    11: RB
    10: OC
    9: DT, run stopping
    8: WR
    7: Cornerback
    6: TE
    5: Safety
    4: OT
    3: Inside pass rusher
    2: Edge pass rusher
    1: QB

"The Prototypes: Patrick Willis, San Francisco 49ers; Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

Traditionally, the middle linebacker has been the heart, mind and soul of a defense. Frequently the roughest, toughest player on the field, the middle linebacker was trusted with the most important job: getting to the ball-carrier.

Fending off a fullback or pulling guard and stuffing the running back 10 times a game or more takes a special combination of size, speed, grit, instincts and thirst for violence. Often called the quarterback of the defense, to this day, the middle linebacker usually relays the play calls from the sideline to the huddle.

Now, though, if all a player can do is stop the run between the tackles, he comes off the field in passing situations—and most situations are passing situations.

Today's middle linebacker has to have the size, power and attitude to stop the run when called upon, but it's more important to have the athleticism to cover the middle of the field—whether in man-to-man against running backs or patrolling the middle of the field in zone coverage.

Players that excel at both, like Patrick Willis, are rare and valuable indeed. For most teams, though, inside linebackers who are "good enough" tacklers and very good in coverage are sufficient and plentiful."

I like how they list inside and outside pass rush separately. So if you think about it, by scheme they will generate inside rush without having to necessarily draft it at ILB using a high pick (on a guy, esp in this draft, who might not have those pass rush qualities). You would like to have more than Clay Matthews as your inside AND outside pass rusher; thus the pick up last off season of Peppers. I am assuming someone else will need to step up in those roles this year.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

But I do hope the guy ends up being a really good player.

We shall see. We get all freaked out because a guy isn't on Mel Kiper's radar, or because Todd McShay tells us that ILB is GB's biggest need. But I think TT has a good, really good, track record compared to other GM's, and as Bob McGinn pointed out, the talking heads on the networks are not scouts.

So we read their blurbs on the top players, we study maybe sixty or a hundred players (a very generous estimate) by watching YouTube videos and maybe looking up info, and then we go ballistic when TT doesn't draft the known names we fancy are the best players.

Sure, it's fun to guess and put the opinions out there, but this vitriolic judgment of some posters is clearly about more than the draft picks no one, not even TT or Hoody Genius or John Schneider, can be certain of.
    If we care what Kiper thought we'd be excited as hell; he compared Ryan to Dick Butkus when he was drafted.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ILB was a position of need for draft/FA, but where does ILB rank on overall position importance, particularly on the Packers? I'd say it's pretty low; that's why TT isn't gonna reach at all, and is comfortable drafting an ILB later in the draft.

Quick internet search:

Bleacherreport
    15: OLB
    14: Run stopping DE
    13: OG
    12: ILB*
    11: RB
    10: OC
    9: DT, run stopping
    8: WR
    7: Cornerback
    6: TE
    5: Safety
    4: OT
    3: Inside pass rusher
    2: Edge pass rusher
    1: QB

I like how they list inside and outside pass rush separately. So if you think about it, by scheme they will generate inside rush without having to necessarily draft it at ILB using a high pick (on a guy, esp in this draft, who might not have those pass rush qualities). You would like to have more than Clay Matthews as your inside AND outside pass rusher; thus the pick up last off season of Peppers. I am assuming someone else will need to step up in those roles this year.
    I'm pretty sure by inside pass rush they are talking about interior defensive lineman who can rush the passer.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am just stunned there is still a market for this kind of tale.
    Hang on a second. It's just an endorsement from Greg Mattison, a Michigan defensive assistant with NFL chops. Sure, it's a fluff piece, but it's not Lori Nickel Lifetime Channel stuff about how nice he is with his best girl and their volunteer opportunities. It's just an endorsement article, but there's a fact in there (move to the inside to keep him on the field) and a quote from Eliot Wolf. Thin gruel, but not worthless.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I'm pretty sure by inside pass rush they are talking about interior defensive lineman who can rush the passer.
    I didn't read it carefully, but you're right:

The Prototypes: Ndamukong Suh, Detroit Lions; J.J. Watt, Houston Texans

It's been said many times that the shortest path to the quarterback is a straight line. As anchoring against the inside run becomes less and less of a priority, explosive 300-pounders are being lined up inside and unleashed.

This revolution in approach is forcing offenses to reevaluate everything about how they protect the quarterback. Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer admitted to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune that the Bears were thinking about Ndamukong Suh lining up "over the right guard" when they drafted a right guard in the first round.

Whether they line up over the guard in a 4-3 defense or between the guard and tackle as a 3-4 end like 2012 AP Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt, these rare athletes force offenses to account for their disruptive power.
    I would include pressure from the ILB in a category of "Inside pass rusher" but that's just me

If we care what Kiper thought we'd be excited as hell; he compared Ryan to Dick Butkus when he was drafted.
    How did Kiper know what Butkus did when he was drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    How did Kiper know what Butkus did when he was drafted?
    Let me rephrase: When the Ryan pick was announced on TV, Kiper compared Ryan to Dick Butkus.

Let me rephrase: When the Ryan pick was announced on TV, Kiper compared Ryan to Dick Butkus.
    favorably?