Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Jake Ryan, 2015 Fourth Round Pick

i think ILB is pretty important in our system. our zone, or whatever the hell it is, leaves the ILBs responible for the whole middle of the field. we've seen for 5 or 6 years now that teams can almost trow at will on us over the middle

it may not me as important as a lot of the other positions on defense, but you can't just neglect it either

and TT has spent high draft picks on every position on defense EXCEPT ILB (hawk was drafted as a WLB for a 4-3)

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Hang on a second. It's just an endorsement from Greg Mattison, a Michigan defensive assistant with NFL chops. Sure, it's a fluff piece, but it's not Lori Nickel Lifetime Channel stuff about how nice he is with his best girl and their volunteer opportunities. It's just an endorsement article, but there's a fact in there (move to the inside to keep him on the field) and a quote from Eliot Wolf. Thin gruel, but not worthless.
    I agree its not about his 4th grade 4-H experience, but the fact that an NFL level coach came to the phone and produced a tale of grit and attitude rather than emphasize his NFL level skills and abilities is another instance of damning with faint praise.

"Boy he is tenacious"

"Can he start in the NFL?"

"Did I mention he gets excited for meetings?"
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think ILB is pretty important in our system. our zone, or whatever the hell it is, leaves the ILBs responible for the whole middle of the field. we've seen for 5 or 6 years now that teams can almost trow at will on us over the middle

it may not me as important as a lot of the other positions on defense, but you can't just neglect it either

and TT has spent high draft picks on every position on defense EXCEPT ILB (hawk was drafted as a WLB for a 4-3)
    I don't think its so much that the position isn't valuable to Ted as much as its a skill set where its theoretically easier to find good players with mid round picks and even UDFAs.

Until he got a big draft bargain on Lacy he hadn't brought in a high RB either. I like that comparison because with those two positions are similar in that success is more about vision and fit so they tend to be about as good as they're going to get immediately. This means you can search for an Arian Foster, Alfred Morris, Paul Worrilow, or Vontaze Burfict every year pretty effectively while using 1st round picks to address more difficult needs to fill. With LBs "bum mining" as wist puts it has the benefit of really helping your special teams too.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I agree its not about his 4th grade 4-H experience, but the fact that an NFL level coach came to the phone and produced a tale of grit and attitude rather than emphasize his NFL level skills and abilities is another instance of damning with faint praise.

"Boy he is tenacious"

"Can he start in the NFL?"

"Did I mention he gets excited for meetings?"
    Sure, but that tells you something, doesn't it? If the guy started saying all sorts of things about how his game would translate to the NFL, it would change how you think about Ryan. This supports the idea that Ryan will be 'meh' until proven otherwise.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

I think the move of Clay inside and the increased emphasis on safety shows that the middle is important. You'd like to have that ILB that can cover and tackle, but I don't think it was really there in this draft, and to draft the guys available in the early rounds to do this dual job would have been reaching.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    If he stays healthy, Jake Ryan will be a better pro than Benardrick McKinney. (bump material for wist)

Let's hope he works out. I always saw him as a typical (from the past, typical) Michigan player: good try-hard college player, not enough skill to be in the pros. Of course there have been good and great pros from U of Mich, but most of the guys were really good college players (back when) whose skills didn't translate very well to the NFL.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Of course there have been good and great pros from U of Mich, but most of the guys were really good college players (back when) whose skills didn't translate very well to the NFL.
    Yep

but he sure could hand off well.

And opposite day:

Need a little more fire from the ILB position this year

Let's hope this dude is making the transition and has some skills. Or will he be the next Nate Palmer?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Assuming Barrington comes back next year, perhaps a Barrington and Ryan combination can move Matthews back to OLB? I'd still like to see Clay move around, but it would be nice to have a couple of other guys at ILB to play the majority of snaps.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    JAKE RYAN
    2 of 5 Stars
    Michigan
    POSITION MLB
    HEIGHT/WEIGHT 6'3"/236
    NO. 47
    VERIFIED 40 TIME 4.65
    NFL TEAM Green Bay
    COLLEGE Michigan
    HS St. Ignatius HS
    HOME Cleveland, OH

SCOUT RANK 186
    POSITION RANK 12

BIO

Ryan has started 41-of-46 games at Michigan – 29 at strong-side outside linebacker and his final twelve appearances at middle linebacker…Recorded 267 tackles (166 solos), 9.5 sacks for minus 58 yards, 45.5 stops for losses of 168 yards and nine quarterback pressures…Recovered one fumble, causing seven others, as he also deflected six passes and gained two yards on his only interception return. NCAA Career-Record Results…Among active NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision players, Ryan ranks 48th with 267 total tackles and 36th with 166 solo hits…His 45.5 stops-for-loss is third-best within the group and he placed 14th with five forced fumbles. School Career-Record Results…Ryan ranks sixth in school history with 45.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, topped by Mark Messner (70.0; 1985-88), Brandon Graham (56.0; 2006-09), LaMarr Woodley (52.5; 2003-06), Curtis Greer (48.0; 1976-79) and Victor Hobson (47.0; 1999-2002)…His tackle-for-lost yardage of 168 tied Ron Simpkins (1976-79) for 12th in Michigan annals…Placed tenth in school history by recording at least ten tackles in ten of his appearances…His seven forced fumbles rank second in Wolverines history. School Season-Record Results…Ryan’s sixteen tackles behind the line of scrimmage as a sophomore tied Henry Hill (1968), Trent Zenkewicz (1994), David Bowens (1996), James Hall (1998), LaMarr Woodley (both in 2004 and 2005) and David Harris (2006) for 13th on the school annual record list…Recorded at least ten tackles in seven games during the 2014 season, ranking seventh on the U-M chart.
    This new Packer is a fine athlete.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

We all have a pretty good suspicion as to what the Packer offense might've been like if Jordy hadn't have gotten hurt.

But I wonder what the Packer defense would be like if Sam Barrington hadn't gotten hurt.

Would it be much different?

KYPack

So far, Barrington and Ryan strike me as similar players. Ryan is a little better athlete, so he may have more upside.

Ryan seems to be a bit more of a 'desperate' tackler. Not sure if that's a good thing. Neither Barrington or Ryan will ever be anything special, but I think Ryan might be a capable starter one day.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Ryan seems to be a bit more of a 'desperate' tackler. Not sure if that's a good thing.
    Some of that might be inexperience leading to being a bit out of position. He only played inside his last year at Michigan. He probably still has a lot to learn about playing the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Some of that might be inexperience leading to being a bit out of position. He only played inside his last year at Michigan. He probably still has a lot to learn about playing the position.
    he can learn from Matthews - oh, wait.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Ryan seems to be a bit more of a 'desperate' tackler. Not sure if that's a good thing. Neither Barrington or Ryan will ever be anything special, but I think Ryan might be a capable starter one day.
    How 'bout Sunday?