Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jake Ryan, 2015 Fourth Round Pick

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    True Value!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Since he's not a top 5 pick, maybe people won't flame the kid. If he plays as well as Hawk, you'd hope he'll get better in Year 2.
    Hey, they needed somebody at ILB.
    I'm hoping he is better then AJ Hawk...damn I'm glad he gone.

I wanted another Michigan player....Frank Clark. I know he went in the second RD after we picked so he would have been there at #2. Dude is a possessed demon on the field....off the field as well. Oh well.....
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries
    I've kinda channeled my inner Wist on this pick.

Hope he makes it, but my impression of him is another fucking Joe college that won't elevate his game.

I hope he does play like Hawk and not Bobby Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I've kinda channeled my inner Wist on this pick.

Hope he makes it, but my impression of him is another fucking Joe college that won't elevate his game.

I hope he does play like Hawk and not Bobby Carpenter.

I watched the guy, though not extensively, at Michigan for the last few years. He's a tackling machine, for sure, but he's not a playmaker. He'll make the tackles, but they're not for a loss, nor are they startling in their ferocity. To me, the guy is a poor man's Hawk, and Hawk was already kinda poor. This guy, like Hawk, will be a coach's dream but a fan's frustration. Meh.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I watched the guy, though not extensively, at Michigan for the last few years. He's a tackling machine, for sure, but he's not a playmaker. He'll make the tackles, but they're not for a loss, nor are they startling in their ferocity. To me, the guy is a poor man's Hawk, and Hawk was already kinda poor. This guy, like Hawk, will be a coach's dream but a fan's frustration. Meh.
    If he can make tackles and take on blocks, he could be more effective than late-stage Hawk, even if Ryan himself is limited. The Packers have speed elsewhere to do the rest.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    He's on ok pick.........TT is fine with our ILB's
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    He's on ok pick.........TT is fine with our ILB's
    i would be happier, if he was the second ILB we had taken

stephone anthony in the first would look damn good with the rest of this draft imo

and the idea that TT and M3 think we are "ok" at ILB, is shocker. these are the same people that thought we were "just fine" there last year

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If he can make tackles and take on blocks, he could be more effective than late-stage Hawk, even if Ryan himself is limited. The Packers have speed elsewhere to do the rest.

I read alot of good things about this guy during the weekend. One scout had him and Kendricks as the cream of the ILB class.

If he can come back just a *little* more from the ACL, I think he could prove to be a very good pick...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Since he's not a top 5 pick, maybe people won't flame the kid. If he plays as well as Hawk, you'd hope he'll get better in Year 2.
    Hey, they needed somebody at ILB.
    +1
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i would be happier, if he was the second ILB we had taken

stephone anthony in the first would look damn good with the rest of this draft imo

and the idea that TT and M3 think we are "ok" at ILB, is shocker. these are the same people that thought we were "just fine" there last year
    I heard pundits saying that the Saints reached for Anthony at 31. What do you think?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I heard pundits saying that the Saints reached for Anthony at 31. What do you think?
    I think so, yes. Unless they are a truly special player like the kid Baltimore took last year from Alabama, ILBs aren't worth a one. How many in the past 12 years have been? Off the top of my head... Brian Urlacher, Pat Willis, Ray Lewis, Luke Kuechly, The other USC ILB from Clay's class, and maybe a few others.

well, at worst he was a second rounder. so at pick #30, i wouldn't have had a problem with it. the guy we took, was more of a reach in most peoples mind, then anthony was

i honestly, would have been fine with anthony, kendricks, perryman or mckinny at pick #30

well, at worst he was a second rounder. so at pick #30, i wouldn't have had a problem with it. the guy we took, was more of a reach in most peoples mind, then anthony was

i honestly, would have been fine with anthony, kendricks, perryman or mckinny at pick #30
    Not really. Almost all of the rankings that I saw had Randall higher.

CBS had Randall at #37 and Anthony at #72.
    Scouts Inc. had Randall #38 and Anthony at #50.
    USA Today had Randall #36 and Anthony at #43.
    Kiper had Randall at #31 and Anthony at #57.
    McGinn had Randall mocked going #20 and Anthony not in the first round.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-05-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

the guy we took, was more of a reach in most peoples mind, then anthony was
    This is pretty much overtly untrue if most media scouting is to be believed. I have not seen one big board posted where Anthony was ranked ahead of Randall. Clearly Green Bay felt Randall was at least an equal to Anthony, or they would have drafted Anthony or another from the field.

Blog Entries

I wish we would have reached for him at 30
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Passing on Alec Ogletree in 2013 had to have been a lot harder for Ted than passing on any of the ILB talent in this draft.

Its not the sexy madden move you'd drool over but there's no ILB at pick #30 I like better than Jack Ryan at #129. Part of the collective groan in this thread is that fans can already tell he's going to easily take the job and boringly make the routine stuff look routine. If we're being honest with ourselves we're all annoyed because we can just see him clogging up the next decade being that guy you'd love to upgrade but somehow always finds a way to win his job every year. There's certainly no corner at #129 who I'd trust to not lose games so in that respect I think this turned out rather nicely. I just wish we could have gotten one or two more guys like Jack to injury proof the position so we can keep Clay outside where he has a chance of being worth his paycheck.

And while there is nothing about Jack that's boner worthy there is some stuff to get excited about. He seems to find the ball quicker than Hawk ever did at ILB. You never see running plays go through his gap a la Poppinga. Best of all, the man's tough as shit which we're going to need after losing Hawk. He tore is ACL in the spring and was back playing football in October. That's insane. Also he's old for a rookie at 23 so a decade of reliable mediocrity is probably pushing it.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

First thing I thought with this pick was he will be another Hawk. If he has AJ's durability and work ethic, he's a great pick. Everyone always wants a superstar with every pick. But a team needs it's lunchpail players also.

I was expecting ILB in either rounds 1 or 2 as well. When they picked Randall at 30, I was sure they would get an ILB in the 2nd, but with the run on the top-shelf guys, and most likely TT's reluctance to move up and get one, it was not meant to be. Picking Dawson at the end of the 2nd just to get an ILB would have been a reach. I'm guessing Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford are looking impressive enough as ILB prospects for TT to have uttered that phrase you so love.