Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ridiculously Early 53 Man Roster

I kinda have a read on TT over the years and I think Kuhn will make the roster even if Ripkowski makes it. Like I said I think Rip will take the 4th TE roster spot over Kennard Backman, who will make the practice squad.

Like I also stated Kuhn has been one of the top 5 blocking FBs in the league over the last 2 seasons. Rip might bring more power in his blocks but he'll also miss assignments as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Like I also stated Kuhn has been one of the top 5 blocking FBs in the league over the last 2 seasons.
    Of course he has been. There are only about 5 blocking FBs in the league, so he has to be one of the top five!

Seriously, though, Kuhn played just 192 snaps on offense last year, and most of those came after Rodgers was injured. Even the Packers are using the FB less.

Both of you guys make great arguments. This one is a coin flip, I think it depends on the value of veteran leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Both of you guys make great arguments. This one is a coin flip, I think it depends on the value of veteran leadership.
    Can't see that factoring into the decision. Veteran knowledge of a complex O, maybe, but not the leadership. With Rodgers, Nelson, Sitton, Lang...Bulaga entering his 6th year, Cobb on his 5th...that's quite a few long term guys, veteran leadership is not exactly at a premium.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Of course he has been. There are only about 5 blocking FBs in the league, so he has to be one of the top five!

Seriously, though, Kuhn played just 192 snaps on offense last year, and most of those came after Rodgers was injured. Even the Packers are using the FB less.
    I understand that he only played 20% of snaps on offense but like I mentioned before Rip has experience blocking from the TE position which is why I think they'll keep him as the 4th TE to block and play special teams similar to Ryan Taylor while he gains experience. He brings more pop in his blocks for sure but one of the knocks coming out of college was that he always missed one or two blocks a game. Thats not going to cut it in the NFL which is why dependable Kuhn will be the starting FB next season until Rip catches up.

I understand that he only played 20% of snaps on offense but like I mentioned before Rip has experience blocking from the TE position which is why I think they'll keep him as the 4th TE to block and play special teams similar to Ryan Taylor while he gains experience. He brings more pop in his blocks for sure but one of the knocks coming out of college was that he always missed one or two blocks a game. Thats not going to cut it in the NFL which is why dependable Kuhn will be the starting FB next season until Rip catches up.
    ...and the Packers' TEs have experience blocking from the fullback position.

What you are really arguing is that Ripkowski will not be ready to play regularly as the FB (at least in comparison to Kuhn), but they will keep him on the 53 man roster anyway as a blocking TE and ST performer. I can see some merit in that, especially with the depth they might have at WR. As I mentioned, I have been debating myself on how this all might shake out, and have convinced myself of the following:

- Ripkowski will make or not make the final roster based on his play as a FB. If he isn't ready to take the brunt of the workload as a FB, the Packers will target him for the PS. This carries only minimal risk, because fewer and fewer teams carry a FB at all, and there are likely to be some experienced ones available for any team that wants/needs a FB.

- If Ripkowski makes the roster (ie he is ready to take snaps as the FB in most situations) Kuhn will not be around.

- Ripkowski will not make the team as a "fullback in waiting" because there is likely to be a player at another position that will be more valuable than a FB who doesn't play FB.

- They might be tempted to keep 26 on D, making it even more difficult to justify carrying 2 FBs.

It looks like there might be an overload of potential talent at WR and RB. They could have 4 TEs, and 9 OL worth keeping. Seems likely that they will carry 3 QBs. Whomever they would have to release to keep 2 FBs might be more difficult to get through to PS than Ripkowski will be.
    Last edited by Patler; 05-25-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Between the RB, FB, and TE spots, I think they'll keep a total of 8. If Rip and Kuhn make the cut they'll only keep 3 TE's. Lacy's running style and Starks injury history suggests they'll need 3 RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    ...and the Packers' TEs have experience blocking from the fullback position.
    Not 6th round pick Kennard Backman whos knock coming out was his lack of blocking. Like I've been saying the whole time I think Backman and Rip will be battling for a roster spot and I believe Rip will make it over him because of his blocking and special teams value. Similar to Bostick early on I see Backman being sent to the PS his first season until he improves his blocking. Kuhn will remain the starting FB while Rip plays a role similar as Ryan Taylor...don't know what is so hard to understand about that haha.

Rodgers, Ouarless, and Perillo only TEs I see making the roster so that 4th spot that use to belong to Bostick will be taken by Rip. Instead of having 4 TEs and 1 FB it will be 3 TEs and 2 FBs. You could see Rip blocking from the TE spot in jumbo packages on goal line packages with Kuhn at FB.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Between the RB, FB, and TE spots, I think they'll keep a total of 8. If Rip and Kuhn make the cut they'll only keep 3 TE's. Lacy's running style and Starks injury history suggests they'll need 3 RBs.
    Exactly, with John Crockett making it as the 3rd HB imo...no way they go into the season with only 2 HBs.

Not 6th round pick Kennard Backman whos knock coming out was his lack of blocking. Like I've been saying the whole time I think Backman and Rip will be battling for a roster spot and I believe Rip will make it over him because of his blocking and special teams value. Similar to Bostick early on I see Backman being sent to the PS his first season until he improves his blocking. Kuhn will remain the starting FB while Rip plays a role similar as Ryan Taylor...don't know what is so hard to understand about that haha.

Rodgers, Ouarless, and Perillo only TEs I see making the roster so that 4th spot that use to belong to Bostick will be taken by Rip. Instead of having 4 TEs and 1 FB it will be 3 TEs and 2 FBs. You could see Rip blocking from the TE spot in jumbo packages on goal line packages with Kuhn at FB.
    Not hard to understand, just don't agree. A FB forced into playing TE might as well be put on the PS, too. DB and LB have undergone change this off season. It might be useful to keep an extra one or two of those until their roles settle down. Especially at LB where Peppers is getting to an age you wonder about, and Neal and Perry are operating on the final years of their contracts. It's probably more important to deepen the reserves there than at FB. WR and RB could be deep in talent. We have had histories of injuries at those positions, so keeping an extra in those groups might be more beneficial than a fullback playing TE. Not sure they need a 4th TE anyway

Exactly, with John Crockett making it as the 3rd HB imo...no way they go into the season with only 2 HBs.
    I agree with that completely. Maybe even 4 RBs, if another shows promise and the dump the spot held by a useless 4th TE or 2nd FB!

I mentioned this before, but they kept Driver at least a full year longer than they probably should have (ignoring off the field leadership and just looking at play on the field). It is not that big of a risk, however, to keep one veteran on the roster in a depth position. Still, I do not think that Kuhn brings enough to the table and I predict he does not make the team this year (unless there are a couple relevant injuries at FB and TE).

I doubt he would sign anywhere else, so they could still give him a call mid-season if needed (think Tauscher).

anybody constructing a possible 53 and includes that FA guard Rotherdam or Rottertham or whatever his name is seems to me to not have probably looked at the picture of him posted here earlier. He's soft. Needs a year in the weight room to even begin to look strong enough to play, much less to learn the intricacies of the position. I just don't see it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack