Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
I don't think he's got much upside but considering he was the #4 linebacker recruit in the country at one point I wouldn't call him an overachiever. Its more about if his game will translate or not. If it doesn't he'll fail fast which is a plus. The versatility is the big thing with him.

As an OLB he reminds me a little of Erik Walden. Not quite as long or as uber physical as Walden but not as stupid either. Same strengths though in that he can set an edge really well and he's abnormally stout for his size. As a pass rusher he's more like Mike Neal than anyone else we've got. Brute strong and high motor. Not the kind of skillset you'd bet on to become a star, Tamba Hali's are super rare, but if he could be the next Mike Neal that's a hell of a deal for a UDFA.

As an ILB I think he has the most upside specifically as a "buck" linebacker in a Capers 30 front. A FB of the defense type. His 7.09 3-cone suggests some upside in coverage. If he can develop there, he's a great find. It's rare to find a guy who can mix with lineman and also drop back into a hook zone with regularity.

That stuff is pie in the sky. I think he'll make the team because while starting 30+ games for Stanford he was also on kick and punt coverage. Physical 250 lb guys with hot motors and special teams experience are tough cuts.
Good stuff thanks.