Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grade the NFC North Drafts

Grade the NFC North Drafts

No, I'm not doing no pole. Or poll. I just want to know what you think the NFC North teams did in comparison to the Packers.

Because they all picked before GB, it's hard not to think they've automatically done better. Who didn't want Trae Waynes or Eddie Goldman or Kevin White to miraculously fall to the Pack?

So, taking that into account, who were the winners and losers of the NFC North?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I thought the Vikes hit on their 1st, 2nd and 4th rounders (assuming that T stays healthy). The others are projects and kinda meh. But Zimmer is a hell of a defensive guy, so the CB and ILB should flourish there.

Chicago got a WR that should be a stud, but with Cutler there who knows. They needed more and better defense than they got. They didn't improve much, IMO.

I loved the G Detroit got. I think Abdullah is going to be a bust. They drafted the positions that they needed on paper. Didn't think they did that bad.

Overall, I thought the Vikes were the best of the division in the draft, primarily due to that their HC is a great DC and their early picks will be immediate impact guys.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I think Minnesota clearly had the best draft. Chicago's Langford and Amos were players I liked, and we all know about White and Goldman. Detroit.... well, I think their draft was poor, but time will tell.
    Last edited by smuggler; 05-04-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think Minnesota clearly had the best draft. Outside of the top two picks, I didn't care much for Chicago's. Detroit.... well, I think their draft was poor, but time will tell.
    Detroit's borrowing against the future - they're banking on getting a third round compensation pick for Suh, but instead of having two third-rounders next year, they traded next year's third to pick up a fourth round pick this year, which turned out to be DT Gabe Wright.

They've re-tooled the offensive line - it's much younger - and grabbed a corner in the fourth round. But Mayhew traditionally doesn't do so well with later-round picks, except Theo Riddick, I think.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Any chance someone could post their respective draft classes? Unfortunately I'm not able to do it.

Detroit

28 - Laken Tomlinson, G
    54 - Ameer Abdullah, RB
    80 - Alex Carter, CB
    113 - Gabe Wright, DT
    168 - Michael Burton, FB
    200 - Quandre Diggs, CB
    240 - Corey Robinson, OT
    Last edited by smuggler; 05-04-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Chicago

7 - Kevin White, WR
    39 - Eddie Goldman, DT
    71 - Hroniss Grasu, C
    106 - Jeremy Langford, RB
    142 - Adrian Amos, FS
    183 - Tayo Fabuluje, G

Minnesota

11 - Trae Waynes, CB
    45 - Eric Kendricks, LB
    88 - Danielle Hunter, DE
    110 - TJ Clemmings, OT
    143 - MyCole Pruitt, TE
    146 - Stefon Diggs, WR
    185 - Tyrus Thompson, OT
    193 - BJ Dubose, DE
    228 - Austin Sheppard, OT
    232 - Edmond Robinson, LB

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I think Minnesota had a spectacular draft. Things really fell their way.

Waynes can be a fast Al Harris. Kendricks is safe, a perfect fit, and a huge need. Hunter is a big freak who goes 100% which is useful on its own but if he can get some any kind of instincts or technique he'll be a force. Diggs is like a poor man's Greg Jennings, he should contribute sooner rather than later. I think that's a really good haul considering the quality of the class.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Not sure what a non-playoff team like Chicago is doing with only 6 draft choices - need more kicks at the can than that!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The answer is this: More of the same. Also, even though the Bears are terrible at safety, they are also pretty thin at LB and completely ignored that position...

I liked the Vikings draft. Waynes has all the physical talents to be a great corner....now to see if coaching can bring it out. I love the Kendricks pick, he and Barr are going to be something I think.
    Hunter is a project like others have said.....although I read he is a tremendous special teams guy.

Clemmings is the perfect hedge against Kahlil struggling. Don't know much about Diggs. Undrafted Ant Harris is interesting.

I liked the Packers draft second with the Bears a close 3rd with Kevin White. Wasn't super high on the Lions.

Clemmings is a better bet at RT and a mean run blocker. Kalil should come around, so I think it's moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I liked the Vikings draft. Waynes has all the physical talents to be a great corner....now to see if coaching can bring it out. I love the Kendricks pick, he and Barr are going to be something I think.
    Hunter is a project like others have said.....although I read he is a tremendous special teams guy.

Clemmings is the perfect hedge against Kahlil struggling. Don't know much about Diggs. Undrafted Ant Harris is interesting.

I liked the Packers draft second with the Bears a close 3rd with Kevin White. Wasn't super high on the Lions.
    What's the scuttlebut on Kalil? Are they expecting him to bounce back? Any thoughts on what happened last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    What's the scuttlebut on Kalil? Are they expecting him to bounce back? Any thoughts on what happened last year?
    He's been below average the last two years. Clemmings looks like a good fallback, but I think he's dealing with a foot injury.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He's been below average the last two years. Clemmings looks like a good fallback, but I think he's dealing with a foot injury.

He has NOT been below average the last two years, he's been outright shitty for most of it. Played half way decent to close out last season. Clemmings claims post draft the foot is fine and he played with not even knowing it was an issue.

I also heard he was better suited to RT so not really sure what to think there.

From the things I have read, Kahlil doesn't handle a power rush well and once the league realized that, it's all he got. Just something mentioned on NFL Radio.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    He has NOT been below average the last two years, he's been outright shitty for most of it. Played half way decent to close out last season. Clemmings claims post draft the foot is fine and he played with not even knowing it was an issue.

I also heard he was better suited to RT so not really sure what to think there.

From the things I have read, Kahlil doesn't handle a power rush well and once the league realized that, it's all he got. Just something mentioned on NFL Radio.
    I was surprised the Queens picked up Kahlil's 5th year.

I've seen him play OK, but when they start bull rushing him successfully, they push him right off the field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Minnesota

11 - Trae Waynes, CB
    45 - Eric Kendricks, LB
    88 - Danielle Hunter, DE
    110 - TJ Clemmings, OT
    143 - MyCole Pruitt, TE
    146 - Stefon Diggs, WR
    185 - Tyrus Thompson, OT
    193 - BJ Dubose, DE
    228 - Austin Sheppard, OT
    232 - Edmond Robinson, LB

GREAT DRAFT IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    GREAT DRAFT IMO
    You say that every year. I think you might be right this year, but interesting note on Waynes on ESPN's 10 potential first round busts:

Trae Waynes, CB, Minnesota Vikings (No. 11)

There's no denying Waynes -- the first cornerback drafted Thursday -- has the speed to cover deep in the NFL. What makes him a potential bust candidate? Well, considering his 20-yard shuttle time was slower than his 40-yard dash time, there's legitimate concern about his ability to change directions and keep up with receivers. That showed on the field too, with Waynes allowing 1.04 yards per coverage snap, tied for just 36th among cornerbacks in this draft class.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    I know slightly more than squat about 1 or 2 of these guys from each of these groups, and less than that about the rest so I probably shouldn't even comment....

I agree with the consensus that Minnesota looks like they were able to grab some good potential at a number of need spots. Clemmings dropping (and credit to Spielman for grabbing him), seems like a good get there, along with Kendricks and Waynes.

Plus, like Guiness says, they got more kicks at the can so they have more chances to hit it with the other guys in the group. That in and of itself is more valuable than most appreciate. Getting decent production from any of the lower picks can turn a draft class.