Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: La'El Collins to the Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    How did he game that, and why did he want to be in the supplemental instead of the regular draft?
    Thatw as a while ago and I don't recall the why.....the late graduation qualified him I guess. It's all spelled out.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    He asked the league if he could go in the supplemental draft and was told no.

From everything I've read it doesn't appear he is a suspect in this case so I don't know what the issue is here.
    Pugger, I believe that clubs were worried that person of interest would turn into something worse.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

How did he game that, and why did he want to be in the supplemental instead of the regular draft?
    He was graduating early. He needed only a set number of credits and he could schedule the last of them in the summer, I believe. There was much confusion. If you go back to look at mock drafts, Kosar to the Vikings was a popular choice. There was one put on the web just a few days ago, though not for Kosar related reasons. I also vaguely remember he might have been a red-shirt sophomore (three years of school plus possible early enrollment his senior year of high school) and that unusual status might have played into it.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early.[3]
    Now the conspiracy theorists (many Vikings fans at the time and a few elsewhere) thought that he and his family received coaching from the Browns on how to arrange this. The theory in Cleveland was that he wanted to play for the home team. Possible he wanted to avoid the Vikings as well, but his true motivation was never reported as far as I know.

In the regular 1985 draft, the Browns traded for the Bills first round pick in 1986, which allowed them to use the Bills first overall pick in the 1985 supplemental draft. (If you use a supplemental pick, you lose that round pick in the next year's draft). Kosar had to declare for the draft AND he had to graduate from school to be eligible as a redshirt sophomore.

So he had a loophole but he also made an announcement before the deadline that he was going to forgo college and try to get drafted by the Browns. He then delayed sending in his paperwork past the April 15th deadline to become eligible for the draft. Everyone threatened to sue (somehow the Oilers got involved). I think Kosar held a trump card though. He could cancel or bomb the summer class and he would not be eligible according to the current NFL criteria. he was not officially declared eligible until he passed that class and graduated.

Due to the controversy, on April 12, commissioner Pete Rozelle extended the April 15 eligibility deadline for Kosar alone (who had not officially filed the paperwork for draft eligibility) and called a hearing that would take place on April 16. The four teams (Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston and Minnesota) involved in the two trades presented their case at the hearing.

On April 23, Rozelle announced that he would leave the decision up to Kosar, but permitted Minnesota to persuade Kosar to enter the regular draft with the condition that they could not negotiate a potential contract with him. This led to an April 25 news conference where Kosar announced that he wanted to go home to Ohio as a member of the Cleveland Browns and that he would forgo the regular NFL Draft and make himself eligible for the supplemental draft. On May 10, Kosar officially announced his intentions for the supplemental draft in a letter to the commissioner. On June 25, Kosar became officially eligible for the supplemental draft when he took his exam finals and the university notified the NFL front office that he had graduated. On July 3, 1985, the Browns selected Kosar and signed him to a five-year contract that same day.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

PB, I do recall the controversy.

TT should have spent his 7th round draft pick on the guy...At the very least he guarantees that Collins doesn't go to a competitor.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    TT should have spent his 7th round draft pick on the guy...At the very least he guarantees that Collins doesn't go to a competitor.
    he traded it
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

That actually makes alot of sense.....didn't think of that myself...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I thought I read that Collins and his agent said they would refuse to sign with any team that drafted him after the 3rd round. I realize he signed as a UDFA, but if you're a talent like Collins who was in a unique situation, you'd rather go undrafted at a certain point and negotiate as a UDFA, realizing that you're going to get a more lucrative deal than a typical UDFA.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I thought I read that Collins and his agent said they would refuse to sign with any team that drafted him after the 3rd round. I realize he signed as a UDFA, but if you're a talent like Collins who was in a unique situation, you'd rather go undrafted at a certain point and negotiate as a UDFA, realizing that you're going to get a more lucrative deal than a typical UDFA.
    But as Hoosier pointed out, might be worth a 7th to keep him off a playoff contender even if he sits.

You knew someone would take a chance on L'OL. Question is whether he blows up in the N'FL.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I don't keep track of all the contract rules, but the FA route (I think) allows him to get out of that deal sooner, no? So he plays well for a couple of years and then can get a big fat contract sooner than if he were drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I don't keep track of all the contract rules, but the FA route (I think) allows him to get out of that deal sooner, no? So he plays well for a couple of years and then can get a big fat contract sooner than if he were drafted.
    yup, the undrafted guys get 3 year deals, players drafted in rounds 2-7 are on 4 year deals

so he will get big money a year earlier, if he pans out

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yup, the undrafted guys get 3 year deals, players drafted in rounds 2-7 are on 4 year deals

so he will get big money a year earlier, if he pans out
    Yes, that's one of the perks - and I read that even if they make him play out the three years, then throw a 1st or 2nd round tender on him for his RFA deal, he makes out better than all but the first and top half of the 2nd round draftees.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Stephen Jones (son of Jerrah) is really draining the fun out of the Boys.
    yup. comedy relief will be hard to come by around here.

cowboys of the past let questionable character guys slide after the michael irvin cowboys faded away. nearly 20 years later they're picking them up instead.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-c...investigation/

Here is the story from the agent's side of La'el Collins' draft day maneuvering. From their effort to prevent a team taking a late round flyer on him (one team called about selecting him in the fifth:

The hardest part, Gilmore says, was selling Collins on the idea: “I’m explaining it to this young man and he’s having a hard time accepting it. We’re trying not to get drafted? He had to have a lot of trust in us.”

They show him salary charts and he agrees; it’s worth the risk.

The media, including this reporter, openly question the competence of Collins’ agents. Even a rival agent reaches out to La’el in an apparent attempt to poach him from his seemingly befuddled representatives.
    and on the salary calculation involved trying to determine the best course of action:

“I’m thinking, That’s the worst thing for us,” McCartney says. “I ran the numbers. If a guy is drafted, he signs a four-year deal. If he gets a three-year undrafted-free-agent contract, plays well and often, then gets the first-round tender and the player participation pool bonus money, he could be paid better than the 33rd pick in the draft.”
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Also, the not going to sign if he is drafted in Rounds 4-7? It was a bluff.

“We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft,” Smith says of waiting for the 2016 draft. “If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks.”

It comes down to this: logistics be dammed, one way or another, the Cowboys got an extra 1st round pick. That's a heck of a competitive advantage. Goodell knew someone was going to get this guy for free, and should've done something about it (read: supplementary draft!!!)
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

It comes down to this: logistics be dammed, one way or another, the Cowboys got an extra 1st round pick. That's a heck of a competitive advantage. Goodell knew someone was going to get this guy for free, and should've done something about it (read: supplementary draft!!!)
    It's hard to argue against you given he breaks every other CBA rule.

I don't see this as an issue at all. Any team could have used a low round draft pick to secure his rights if they wanted. Player have issued threats for as long as I can remember. Only a very few ever followed through on them, and if he did, so what? A 6th or 7th round pick is not a lot to "waste".