Thread: Why Your TV Game Broadcast Sounds Dumb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to get more real analysis too, but I don't agree that women (as a market segment not a gender) are just as interested in getting that same level of analysis. Add kids, disinterested men and meatheads to the list of market segments not interested in in-depth analysis. Of course it's all driven by the money, and we're (dedicated fans) not the majority of the target television audience. Plus we're already hooked and not going away. There are tons more fish to catch yet.

Most people that NFL TV broadcasts have already attracted, and are continuing to try to attract, want to be entertained by the passion and drama of the game - the thrill of victory, agony of defeat and all that. But that visceral attraction isn't strong enough for most of the viewing audience to sustain being diminished by someone blathering on about things they neither understand nor are engaged enough to want to learn about.

Hence the need for game broadcast choice. I'm no expert in television ad sales, but there would seem to be an advantage for splitting a broadcast to more effectively target the audience. FOX could have the main broadcast. FOX1 has the same video feed but dedicated broadcast. Advertisers could buy ads for both just as they do now, but they could also have the option to buy one or the other at a lower cost but higher rate due to reaching a more homogeneous market - a lot like last year's Thursday simultaneous NFL Network/CBS co-broadcasts but with different broadcast teams. I'm pretty sure that increased Thursday's game viewer ratings and ad sales.

I say just synch the local radio broadcast and have it as an audio option, like the Spanish audio option.