At first I disagreed with your point about Ebersol's perspective being outdated PB, given the NFL's (and mainstream television's) insatiable interest in expanding viewership. He's probably right that the majority of the television market doesn't get (nor do they want to invest in learning about) even the basic tenets of the game. However, I think you're on to something important.

I think the initial attraction that people have toward football is the primal adrenaline rush of hoping your tribe of neanderthals can outhit, outrun, outthrow, and outkick the enemy tribe.

Until/Unless people get hooked on that (kids, most women, men who get their fix elsewhere), they won't develop an interest in the strategic complexities of the game, and a significant market of people (meatheads) get the emotional attraction but that's all they want. Those groups comprise most of the mainstream television market which is Ebersol's focus.

Your point though, that there is a mature and significant market of NFL fans who want and demand more than the sophistication of what might as well be a dick swinging contest, and understand that football brings that, is misaligned with the needs of, and fundamentally underserved by, today's game broadcast perspective, is dead on I think.

Maybe different channels/subscription options featuring some choice of broadcasters and perspectives for games could be coming. Or perhaps partnership agreements to join the respective teams' radio broadcast with the television broadcast would be a good start.