Thread: Fantastic Article on the West Coast Offense and the No Huddle

Fantastic Article on the West Coast Offense and the No Huddle

The Ohio River Offense

Between those covers, Walsh revealed that his offense was summarily dismissed as "nickel and dime" football. Worse, it was ridiculed by the old guard as a "finesse" or even "sissy" playing style.

Bill Walsh won three Super Bowl titles as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers -- two against the Bengals (Super Bowls XVI and XXIII).
    "We were labeled a finesse team," said George Seifert, Walsh's successor. "Here comes the finesse, dink and dunk, white-wine drinking 49ers from San Francisco, California."
    MARV LEVY, HISTORY"S GREATEST MONSTER

"Marv Levy's headline was that the 'No Huddle is No Fair,' " Wyche quipped on "America's Game: The Missing Rings." "This was right after the '88 season, and the next year, they're running it and actually the next year is when they 'invented it.' "
    Similarly, Wyche's no-huddle offense was laughed off as "popcorn football." Rather than being hailed as a visionary, Wyche was lampooned as "Wicky Wacky" by a Steelers assistant coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wist wrote the articles about how the West Coast would never work in a man's game like football because it was too finesse.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wist wrote the articles about how the West Coast would never work in a man's game like football because it was too finesse.
    That means wist is Bill "Tiger" Johnson.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wist wrote the articles about how the West Coast would never work in a man's game like football because it was UNSOUND!
    FIFY
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It's funny - it seems like what Walsh had planned before Cook got hurt is what Stubby had going in 2011.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It's funny - it seems like what Walsh had planned before Cook got hurt is what Stubby had going in 2011.
    Yep.

And I think I see now how Waldo came under the impression that the Walsh Offense came about from the Gilliam/Davis offense. Its clearly stated in the article (more definitively than I think is warranted given his one year of exposure to Davis prior to landing in Cincy) that Walsh was "immersed" in the Gilliam offense.

Great stuff PB.
    C.H.U.D.

Where's Waldo?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack