Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Over The Cap-Russell Wilson's Next Contract

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Wilson may not be elite but franchise QBs don't grow on trees so if Seattle won't pay him somebody else surely will.
    I'm not sure if you wrote that thinking you wre agreeing or disagreeing with me; but I think we do agree. Someone will pay him for sure, but you never know which team would go the highest. He only has 32 potential NFL jobs, and not all of the teams are looking for, want to pay, or are able to pay a QB contract such as he will demand. The Packers won't. The Colts won't. The Lions won't. Etc. So, there are a very limited number of teams that will be in the bidding for his services. Since you never know which team will pay the most, and/or if one will pay noticeably more than another; it does him no good to hold a grudge against Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    What are the chances of him getting an injury that would stop a team from paying him? Unless he is injured like Collins, and not let back on the field, he'll still get paid.

He also has an insurance policy, it has been reported.
    I weep no tears for Russell Wilson's financial future, but I have doubts that his insurance is less than the fully guaranteed amount he is going to get on his next deal.

And the chances of an injury severe enough to alter his next contract are small, but the risk is all his right now.

That said, I am not at all sure Wilson is worth the next 22/65/120 QB contract. The question for the Seahawks is what are they willing to risk this year, and what follows if Wilson leaves next year. Its not a Favre situation where the QB in question is aging and working on his own agenda. Wilson might be the best fit for the Seahawks and vice versa.

Its an interesting dilemma. I think its probable someone will overspend on him outside Seattle, but its not the same as Luck hitting the FA market.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I weep no tears for Russell Wilson's financial future, but I have doubts that his insurance is less than the fully guaranteed amount he is going to get on his next deal.

And the chances of an injury severe enough to alter his next contract are small, but the risk is all his right now.

That said, I am not at all sure Wilson is worth the next 22/65/120 QB contract. The question for the Seahawks is what are they willing to risk this year, and what follows if Wilson leaves next year. Its not a Favre situation where the QB in question is aging and working on his own agenda. Wilson might be the best fit for the Seahawks and vice versa.

Its an interesting dilemma. I think its probable someone will overspend on him outside Seattle, but its not the same as Luck hitting the FA market.
    Insurance equal to the guarantee of his next deal? I'm sure it isn't. But it is likely to be equal to or more than the one year deal some have suggested he is entitled to even if they can't reach a career deal for 2015.

It's very simple. He is not entitled to a new deal covering 2015. We might argue over whether he deserves a new deal prior to 2015, but he is not entitled to it. To hold that against Seattle would be foolish in my opinion, because as you pointed out, they might be the best match for each other. If the risk is all his at this point as you say, then the team should get a better deal for it. If Wilson demands a contract not recognizing that, there is no reason to hold that agaist the team.

Interesting thing is he might actually be better off in the situation he is in than if he had been a late first round pick. If he had been, Seattle could have tied him up through the 2016 season by exercising their extension option.

I make no assumptions about anyone being reasonable at this point. If a deadline exists, and it probably doesn't until next offseason, its the start of the regular season.

But Wilson is carrying the risk this year and the team obviously wants to talk a long term deal. There should be motivation from both sides to secure future service and mitigate risk.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I make no assumptions about anyone being reasonable at this point. If a deadline exists, and it probably doesn't until next offseason, its the start of the regular season.

But Wilson is carrying the risk this year and the team obviously wants to talk a long term deal. There should be motivation from both sides to secure future service and mitigate risk.
    True, dat. Rumours are he wants to be the highest paid player in the league, and he has an argument there. With a few of the top QBs contracts coming up, if he doesn't get top 5 money now, he won't be top 10 by time the 2016 season kicks off, and he definitely deserves to be.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    STOP CALLING THEM THE HAWKS!

i hate that!

lol
    Agreed. SeaChickens or replacement ref cheating bastards are both acceptable.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm not sure if you wrote that thinking you wre agreeing or disagreeing with me; but I think we do agree. Someone will pay him for sure, but you never know which team would go the highest. He only has 32 potential NFL jobs, and not all of the teams are looking for, want to pay, or are able to pay a QB contract such as he will demand. The Packers won't. The Colts won't. The Lions won't. Etc. So, there are a very limited number of teams that will be in the bidding for his services. Since you never know which team will pay the most, and/or if one will pay noticeably more than another; it does him no good to hold a grudge against Seattle.
    From Seachicken to Eagle?? He fits the offense.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Russell is the Leader of the Mighty Hawks and IMO will end up getting 21-22MIL a year when it's all done

He'd be an idiot for losing one full earning year of wages.

Schneider has the power here.....Pay him 1.5MIL this year and franchise him for 25MIL next year. Get him for 13MIL per year on a two year deal.

Russll's reps gotta know this.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I suspect they'll work it out, both sides coming to their senses at some point here. This might all be posturing.

If they don't, however, then it's either that Wilson has a highly inflated sense of his ability - maybe he's tired of all the "it's the system and the defense" talk, or that the Seachickens maybe actually do believe that talk.

But as I said, in the end, I think they'll work this out. Then we'll see how good Schneider really is at working the cap.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

So, apparently RW talks to god, who explained the interception.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...l-interception

I wonder if he's as loco as all this seems and the Seahawks aren't so keen to tie their fortunes to him long term?

oh, and God told him not to have sex with his girlfriend, Ciara

Cause that's an image of a girl who does NOT want to have sex, imaright?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

He is saving himself for his second marriage.

His first must still give him nightmares indeed.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 35m35 minutes ago
    Update on @DangeRussWilson & #Seahawks contract talks: $21M per the latest offer, but cash up front is an issue. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-deal-outright

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
    Hold up with @Seahawks contract with Wilson is signing bonus/guaranteed $$. Offered less than Newton, Flacco & Ryan http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-deal-outright
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-26-2015 at 12:52 PM.