Thread: National Football Post - What is the quality of their reporting?

National Football Post - What is the quality of their reporting?

I have always found it to be a good place to find reports on the work of others, and a place to find football news and information collected, but I have thought their own content is weak.

They are doing preseason reviews of each team, position by poisition. As part of the Packers review, they wrote this:

The replacement for Williams will most likely be Casey Hayward. Opposite Heyward may be one of two rookies. Top pick Damarious Randall played safety at Arizona State but has corner traits and played a lot of corner during OTAs. Second round pick Quinton Rollins from Miami (Ohio) also got some reps with the ones. Rollins, though inexperienced as a player, has great ball skills. Veteran Sam Shields also has to be in the equation.
    Makes it sound like Shields is battling the rookies for a starting cornerback spot opposite Hayward.

I have seen these types of things many times on there, an analysis that doesn't even recognize the existing situation correctly.

Usually when I see that, I call it hack reporting. They looked something up online, looked at some stats, and ascertained the situation, regardless of the actual situation.

I like NFP for the articles that Al Harris' agent used to put up there and the occasional war stories from Brandt. Besides that, I don't miss it when I don't read it.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Haven't bee to the site in a couple of years. Initially it was pretty good, but it's gone downhill. Brandt and Bechta had good insights; is Matt Bowen still writing for them? He's ok too. The rest is regurgitated half-assed reporting.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me mad. If you don't really know the team and who's a starter for sure and who might be a starter, then don't write it and put it out there.

In that vein of reporting, it will be interesting to see iwhether it's Eddie Lacey or James Starks who wins the starting running back position.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that drives me mad. If you don't really know the team and who's a starter for sure and who might be a starter, then don't write it and put it out there.

In that vein of reporting, it will be interesting to see iwhether it's Eddie Lacey or James Starks who wins the starting running back position.
    I heard that Franklin kid they drafted is good and will push Starks.

Agree that it has gone way downhill since Brandt left. Greg Gabriel, who wrote up the Packer preview, is the worst of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Agree that it has gone way downhill since Brandt left. Greg Gabriel, who wrote up the Packer preview, is the worst of the worst.
    I didn't know that was official. Too bad, it seemed poised to be something pretty unique, a trusted source of both inside info (Brandt, Bechta, wasn't RavensInsider writing for them too?) and game analysis with Bowen. Basically, one stop shopping for stuff that doesn't make newspaper websites.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Haven't seen anything from Brandt on NFP in ages. Their lineup really seemed thin last fall. I looked at the site earlier this summer and it was in serious need of maintenance. It had the distinctive look of a venue about to go belly up.