Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Randall & Rollins; or Rollins & Randall ?

2010 was the year of the Heavy package, with Green out there with Raji and Pickett. I think they could go 4 big ones in short yardage, but don't remember the 4th. Jolly was in trouble that year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The Packers were great against the run when they needed to be in 2010. It was still a huge strength of the team left over from 2009. The reason they were 18th in 2010 was because they stayed in nickle all the time precisely to leverage their advantage as a run defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    2010 was the year of the Heavy package, with Green out there with Raji and Pickett. I think they could go 4 big ones in short yardage, but don't remember the 4th. Jolly was in trouble that year.
    Yes, we were good against the run - when dunderummy actually defended it. As it was, we had enough talent on the 2nd and 3rd levels that playing the 2-4 wasn't the disaster that it became the next year-couple of years. Woodson, Collins, Bishop, Cullen Jenkins, a fresher Raji, a fresher Pickett b/c of the rotation, etc.

Where things really went in the dumper was when we lost all those guys, or some of those guys, and dunderdummy more than doubled down on the 2-4, he went bat-shit crazy playing the 2-4.

As for who would have rotated in/out for a goal line defense in '10 - certainly Jenkins was available, and we still had CJ Wilson and Jarius Wynn in the rotation; can't remember who was hurt when, but Wilson wasn't entirely terrible if that's all you asked him to do was anchor against the run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fall off the next couple of seasons was mostly on dunderdummy - but a lot of the blame had to go to TT as well, as he didn't do much to replenish the cupboard on defense. Still, there was no excuse for what dunderdummy did with the talent he had available to him. Just a terrible, terrible job of coaching by that idiot.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Well in 2011 run defense was pretty much situational only as running on that team was a waste of time.

By 2012 all the guys from that 2009 run stuffing defense had declined or left and the offense lost enough firepower that it could no longer play run defense for Capers.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Well in 2011 run defense was pretty much situational only as running on that team was a waste of time.
    We set an all-time record for pass defense futility, and carded the 2nd worst defense of all-time, 6,585 yardss - broken the next year by the Saints; so now we're on the hook for only the 3rd worst defense of all-time!!!

I don't care how well the offense was humming, that defense was embarrassing to watch.

By 2012 all the guys from that 2009 run stuffing defense had declined or left and the offense lost enough firepower that it could no longer play run defense for Capers.
    2012 the overall numbers weren't so bad, even though I couldn't stand the fact that dunderdummy was still allowed to remain on this planet - as he and anyone with even remotely the same DNA should have been put into a capsule and shot into space!!

Of course 2012 was the year dunderdummy laid that huge turd in San Francisco that was enough to launch Kapnerfucker into the Hall of Fame.

If it's between launching dunderdummy into space, or launching Kapnerfucker into the HOF?? We could have avoided the latter, if we'd only pursued the former
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    We set an all-time record for pass defense futility, and carded the 2nd worst defense of all-time, 6,585 yardss - broken the next year by the Saints; so now we're on the hook for only the 3rd worst defense of all-time!!!

I don't care how well the offense was humming, that defense was embarrassing to watch.

2012 the overall numbers weren't so bad, even though I couldn't stand the fact that dunderdummy was still allowed to remain on this planet - as he and anyone with even remotely the same DNA should have been put into a capsule and shot into space!!

Of course 2012 was the year dunderdummy laid that huge turd in San Francisco that was enough to launch Kapnerfucker into the Hall of Fame.

If it's between launching dunderdummy into space, or launching Kapnerfucker into the HOF?? We could have avoided the latter, if we'd only pursued the former
    I'd take that 2011 defense over the next two iterations. History will be too harsh on that D IMO. That team ran into team after team forced to play in cockroach mode for 4 quarters. This is why they got that ridiculous amount of turnovers and its also why they gave up that ridiculous amount of yards. As a scoring defense they were average.

We had the best scoring offense in the NFL this last year and they were nowhere near that 2011 offense. That was something special.

2012 the defense was average in all aspects then destroyed in the playoffs. In 2013 the defense reached an all time low for the 2nd half of the year.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Imagine - Imagine the joy in wistland if spraypaintedhair were launched into space!!!

It would be a joyous event - notice the masses rejoicing!!! The grand music , the parades, the pride , feeling whole again

The emotions runneth over

What a day that would be!!!

wist

Blog Entries
    Notwithstanding the Atlanta 2nd half and Seattle last 5 minutes, which are the two games that stick in the craw of most of us and the games we remember the most, the defense was pretty good the second half of last year. They played some below average offenses, but they also held Philly, New England, and Dallas, three top 5 offenses last year, below their average points scored.

If you could magically take out the Atlanta game, GB allowed 18.5 points/game, which is top 5 territory. As it was they were top 10 scoring D after the bye.

Here's a homer prediction just to piss you off wist. Dom's gonna turn up the pressure more consistently this year - in part to protect some of the inexperience in the secondary.

I'm hoping Rollins comes along quickly because he and Hyde being all over the field around the line of scrimmage a la Woodson x2 (with Burnett watching on the sideline eventually).

Dom's gonna go all Buddy Ryan on the league this year. No one's gonna know where they're coming from.

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

I'm with vince in spirit but I think its Matthews that is going to look like Woodson moving around this year.

With Bush gone, would love for one of the DBs to become a threat on the blitz.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The Packers were great against the run when they needed to be in 2010. It was still a huge strength of the team left over from 2009. The reason they were 18th in 2010 was because they stayed in nickle all the time precisely to leverage their advantage as a run defense.
    I remember the 2010 defense. That was fun to watch. Woodson roaming, stuffing the run at will when it was strategic, and just generally controlling games. The offense needed some more oomph, and they got it the following year. Now if they could've combined the two...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I'm with vince in spirit but I think its Matthews that is going to look like Woodson moving around this year.

With Bush gone, would love for one of the DBs to become a threat on the blitz.
    Micah Hyde?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Micah Hyde?
    He and Hayward showed a little of it.

Looks like Randall is doing exactly what a first-round CB should be doing in his first camp. Looking the part so far.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    SPH is liking his chops at using CM everywhere. But will CM be ready? I suspect the 'sore knee' is really 'we have our top tier guy who we are depending on as the cog of the defense and he isn't gonna see the field at all until the regular season, except for absolute bare minimum to get in the flow.'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Looks like Randall is doing exactly what a first-round CB should be doing in his first camp. Looking the part so far.
    Yep, I think he is going to end up playing starters reps w/ Casey Hayward playing in the slot most downs.

Hoping Randall or Gunter can keep it going during preseason games. (And then real games.)

What's the odds of haha making a second year leap and taking a bit of pressure off the rookie cb's?

I'm not asking much, just the second coming of Collins

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Oh please let it come out on Ancestry.com that wist and Capers are related. LOL
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    What's the odds of haha making a second year leap and taking a bit of pressure off the rookie cb's?

I'm not asking much, just the second coming of Collins
    Problem is, Collin's "second year leap" didn't happen until his fourth year!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Problem is, Collin's "second year leap" didn't happen until his fourth year!
    Kind of like Sharper also in that he didn't make his "leap" until his contract year. I am hoping their "leap" was later because they went to small schools and could dominate games on athletic ability alone.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

All rookies have to prove it on the field of course, but Randall was a major reach.

There was a lot of talk that other teams liked him in the 1st round, but I sure never saw it on any tape I watched, and mid-season and into the post-season he was considered a mid-late round pick.

He flashes plays when he's facing the LOS, which is most of what you see on tape b/c they had him playing S most of the time; but to project him outside?? and think he can turn and run with elite receivers in the NFL?? That is a huge leap of faith by TT and Capers.

Add to that the guy tackles like a Barbie Doll, and you have the makeup of a mid-round pick. He's going to struggle mightily at the next level, especially if they try to play him outside.

TT and Capers will never change though... tackling and forcing punts aren't as sexy as picks.
    Was Wist right?