Thread: 2016 Season in Review

2016 Season in Review

Quick Take: Despite injuries we went 10-6 and are now leading the all time series against the bears finally clawing out of the hole dug in the 70's and 80's, won the north while taming the lions, won wild card weekend while getting the giants monkey off our back, won the division round while taking the lead in the all time series against the cowboys. Lost in a poor showing against a determined Falcons team, much respect to them.

I say it was an overall very successful season, 2 games short of the ultimate goal but achieving many many other goals. If nothing short of a superbowl will satisfy you, feel free to yell at me. I for one am looking back with fondness on 2016 and great hope for 2017.

Blog Entries
    Agreed. Overall they came up short but if you didn't enjoy that amazing run then you should check your pulse. Very fun run with some amazing play by Rodgers. The defense must improve.

Long Take:
    Sept 11 : Pack 27 @ Jags 23 Cause for concern but those Jags look for real. Hope the youngs guys can take over for Shields
    Sept 18 : Pack 14 @ Viks 17 5 turn overs but only lost 1, could have been a blow out!!!! Vik's are for real. Never forget that the first touchdown in that birdhouse belongs to the packers!
    Sept 25 : Lions 27 @ pAck 34 here we go
    Bye: When will shields return?
    Oct 9 : Giants 16 @ Pack 23. Felt like we should have won by more but look at our run D!!!!!!!!! We bad!
    Oct 16 Girls 30 @ Pack 16. Ouch, look at our run d...
    OCt 20 : Bears 10 @ pack 26. shortest bears week in history and we are one away from tie up the series
    Oct 30: Pack 32 @ falcons 33, ouch, ryan pulls it out in the last drive. We should have won...
    Nov 6: Colts 31 @ pack 26. oh crap how did this happen, 4-4 gotta win the next game
    nov 13 Pack 25 @ titans 47. wtf? how... why? no!!! 4-5 what is wrong with rodgers, MM fired?
    Nov 20 Pack 24 @ Redskins 42. FIRE TT MM DOM, rodgers is dying! Hundley maybe? 4-6. "Run The Table!"
    nov 28 Pack 27 @ Eagles 13 hmmm, not bad, maybe we wont riot, but still looking at 2017 already.
    dec 4 Texans 13 @ Packers 21, nice win but its the texans, meh.
    dec 11 Seahawks 10 packers 38, 5 turn overs, our d is healthy, we might run the table!!! Still uphill battle
    Dec 18 pack 30@ bears 27, TIE UP THE SERIES!!! but way to close for comfort
    dec 24 Vikings 25, Pack 38. MERRY CHRISTMAS! IS RODGERS GONNA RUN THE TABLE!!!!
    JAN 1 Packers 31 Lions 24, HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016 Division champs, booya!
    Wild card week
    Jan 8 Giants 13 Packers 38. Look at Dom's genius with spare parts.
    Divisional Round
    Jan 15 Packers 34 @ Dallas 31. RODGERS IS GOAT
    NFC CHampionship
    jan 22 Packers 21 @ Falcons 44 . Dom should be shot. MM AND TT should be fired. Free agents in the off season!!!!

I think the Packers have tied the Bears all-time. A tie is like kissing your sister.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter the offseason.

Upnorth is a sunny, optimistic dreamer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

PB, you silk fingered devil, you. Flattery will get you everywhere...

Packers 2016-17 season turned out to be a gem in many ways...thanks to an unreal Aaron Rodgers and an offense that stepped up to the challenge that AR presented them. Offense gets an A, ST a B, Stubby & coaches a C, defense gets a C- (defense actually showed heart in latter part of the season...sans Clay), TT a D.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Definitely a season of highs and lows. Went from championship expectations to wanting to fire everyone to running the table. The most frustrating thing for me was probably the number of players who underperformed on defense. On offense I'd say bakh, Taylor, adams, and Montgomery over performed with only dickrod under performing. On defense, hhcd and possibly Thomas over performed while Rollins, Randall, matthews, pennel, and guion all under performed.
    Go PACK

I can't say I feel very good about this season. The biggest reason is that the defense regressed. What looked like a talented young secondary became the team's achilles heel. Sure, they might rebound, but that's far from a sure thing. Matthews looks like a diminished player, Peppers and Perry could be gone, and Sam Shields' career might be over.

The situation is much better on offense. Rodgers is as good as anyone. Jordy showed he's still an elite WR, Adams rebounded big time, and Allison was a real find. Cook, if signed, gives the offense a dimension they haven't had in a while.

The offense will continue to be elite, but I don't feel right now that the 2016 season got the Packers any closer to a championship team than they were a year ago. Major changes and improvements are needed on defense to change that.

I'm with you on that joe, I've always sort of felt the Packers defense was close. I've never been so sure that they're not as I am now. ILBs should be better with a year experience. Clark and Lowry should be. Randall and Rollins a year experience and health......

It was a rough year and I'd expect them to be a little better next year than this year just because so many young guys should develop. But it's going to take at least one major upgrade to be top half and two to be top 10. And that's on top of the growth within. Either a really lucky draft or at least one UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'm with you on that joe, I've always sort of felt the Packers defense was close. I've never been so sure that they're not as I am now. ILBs should be better with a year experience. Clark and Lowry should be. Randall and Rollins a year experience and health......

It was a rough year and I'd expect them to be a little better next year than this year just because so many young guys should develop. But it's going to take at least one major upgrade to be top half and two to be top 10. And that's on top of the growth within. Either a really lucky draft or at least one UFA.
    I think we have a great uninjured base. The problem is we have no idea what we really had this year due to continous significant injury. If we can get to league average on injuries and have them spread out I think we have an average d.

Doesn't it seem like we have significant injuries every year ? Must be pad level.

Everyone was ready to write off Adams after playing last year hurt and not playing up to his rookie promise. Now everyone is down on Randall, for the same reasons! I have a feeling this guy gutted it out with everyone else being down.....The guy played hurt. I for one am not down on him. I fully expect a much better player next season.....