Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers 2015 Training Camp Questions

Packers 2015 Training Camp Questions

Stolen lock stock and barrel from Tom Oates. http://m.host.madison.com/sports/foo...ile_touch=true

1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB?

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses?

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter?

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year)

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season?

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? (Altered from Oates question about whether one of them will be great - no need to engage in fantasy here)

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job?

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? (In Madison, this is known as the Abbrederris question)

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)?

10. Will Special Teams be improved?

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form?

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB? Hayward

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses? Quintin Randall

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter? Do you count Barrington playing a full season as an emergence? Or did he already emerge?

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year) Statistically better from inside, yes. All they need is for some combination of Neal/Perry/Elliott to take advantage of opportunities generated by CMIII, Peppers and Daniels. There should be opportunities.

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season? Do defensive linemen have good bodies? (JJ Watt excepted)

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? (Altered from Oates question about whether one of them will be great - no need to engage in fantasy here) Given the rest of the Packer offense, so so is probably good enough

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job? What are the alternatives?

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? (In Madison, this is known as the Abbrederris question) 5. Abbrederis will still be gimpy at start of camp and won't be able to make his cuts the way he used to. He'll be PUPed or cut.

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)? RB. Lacy's running style screams the importance of depth at this position, and Kuhn is not a viable replacement.

10. Will Special Teams be improved? Less terrible.

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form? Yes. Whether it is the second half of 2014 form or the other form remains to be seen, but my intuition is that end of last year was a fluke.

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs?Nobody can beat out Hyde for PR

#3 - Oates counted Barrington, but wants another to emerge. He thinks Matthews moving inside is less than optimal, despite the performance of CMIII and the defense after his move.

#7 - Hundley or sing a FA like 2 years ago.

#12 - I would like to see Monty gets reps as a PR in games, like Cobb and Hyde did last year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

13. Will McCarthy improve his approach to forgoing aggression in close games where he has a lead, or an opportunity to blow open a game?

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 55s55 seconds ago
    Re-watching Seahawks-Packers on NFL Network right now. How did Mike McCarthy not get fired for this?

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 7s8 seconds ago
    Forgot McCarthy wasn’t willing to run on fourth-and-short twice and then ran on third-and-3 in the red zone to set up a 1H field goal. Cool

1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB?

Probably Heyward - but truth be told, we have an entire roster of slot corners now outside of Shields.

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses?

Isn't the pecking order now: Goodson, Hyde, Rollins, and Randall??

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter?

Given that TT pretty much ignored the position, Matthews is now a starting ILB. Perry, Neal, and Peppers make a more competent group OLB, than keeping Matthews there and throwing the deficient ILB's we have on the field.

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year)

I think his move inside should be permanent. It allows for the best combination of talent to be on the field at any given time. That said, surely he'll be moved around.

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs?[/QUOTE]

He better. He was a 3rd round pick, and he likely won't see the field much from scrimmage - unless it is out of the backfield with gadget plays.
    wist

do we have more then r-rod at TE?

lets call r-rod decent there. thats fine, but we have nothing else at that position

i wonder if its possible we keep 1 TE and 8 wr's?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    do we have more then r-rod at TE?

lets call r-rod decent there. thats fine, but we have nothing else at that position

i wonder if its possible we keep 1 TE and 8 wr's?
    I think they're okay if Quarless is the #2 TE. It's when he's #1 that they're deficient. So, a lot depends on RichRod's progress. Backman probably won't be much as a blocker this year, but he has some receiving skills.

Hyde is the nickel. Goodson hasn't won a job yet. The big question is dime and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hyde is the nickel. Goodson hasn't won a job yet. The big question is dime and depth.
    I thought Goodson had a shot at starting over Heyward outside??

So as of now, it is 1) Shields and 2) Heyward on the outside; and Hyde in the slot??

After that it is Goodson and Rollins competing for the dime; and Randall running last??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I thought Goodson had a shot at starting over Heyward outside??

So as of now, it is 1) Shields and 2) Heyward on the outside; and Hyde in the slot??

After that it is Goodson and Rollins competing for the dime; and Randall running last??
    At this point, I think the only sure thing is that Shields will be outside. This will be the biggest battle of training camp, figuring out who the other outside corner will be. I think Rollins has the most talent, but not sure how soon he can start consudering he played only 1 year of college ball.

Goodson is being talked about because Hayward's condition before camp is unknown. Godson might be #1 outside if Hayward is unavailable. He might be on the 2nd or 3rd team too.

Goodson seems to have already fallen out of favor. Demovsky doesn't even have him making the roster:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ter-projection

Cornerbacks (5): Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter (cut: Demetri Goodson, Tay Glover-Wright, Bernard Blake).
    Note: he has Hyde at safety.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I think it's Shields and Hayward outside, Hyde as the nickel, and Randall vs. Rollins in the dime. It seems like Goodson will battle Gunter for a spot on the roster.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB? Hayward

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses? Hyde in nickel; Randall vs. Rollins in dime--Richardson in a big dime look at times

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter? The best hope is probably Jake Ryan

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? As long as Neal/Perry are healthy enough to rotate across from and with Peppers

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season? Probably not; going to have to hope everybody stays healthy in the preseason and they can fight through two suspensions in the first game

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? Not as important as usual with the WR depth; Rodgers is probably the best hope

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job? Tolzien showed improvement last preseason; I think he's fine there; without Rodgers were screwed anyways

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? I'm going to cop out and say 6, if everybody stays healthy; 5 otherwise

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)? Rajion Neal

10. Will Special Teams be improved? Yes, couldn't be much worse. Will they be good enough? Who knows.

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form? Yes; Too many years of competency to write off after one had half year.

12. Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs? KR; Hyde at least rotates at PR

Goodson was never *in* favor, per se, but he has upside and can play ST so he stands a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Goodson seems to have already fallen out of favor. Demovsky doesn't even have him making the roster:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ter-projection

Note: he has Hyde at safety.
    Gunter looks okay on tape, but had a terrible combine - wonder if there was some reason that can be explained away??

Anyone know what he ran at his pro day??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Gunter looks okay on tape, but had a terrible combine - wonder if there was some reason that can be explained away??

Anyone know what he ran at his pro day??
    4.56. Combine was 4.66. He'll need to be able to use his size and length to his advantage. It was a surprise he wasn't drafted though. Projected mid-round.

Can any of Neal, Perry, or D Jones make mini jump or are they finished products at this stage of their careers?
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Can any of Neal, Perry, or D Jones make mini jump or are they finished products at this stage of their careers?
    I think they've all had health issues. Any of them could improve if healthy. Perry had a bad shoulder almost all of last year. I'd like to see what he could so if 100%.

Seems like not much love for Randall in here. I expect him to justify his #1 draft pick and beat out Hayward at Tramon's old position. I expect Rollins to be good too. Hayward has a problem staying healthy, but if he does, he probably keeps the slot corner spot. DB is like WR - a lot of good players/hard to say how many we keep, but I hope more there at the expense of DL.

The defense got a LOT better last season when Matthews went inside. I hope/expect him to get most of his snaps there like late last season. The guy I'm anxious to see is Elliot at OLB. I'm expecting him to beat out Perry and Neal if he gets an opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Starks is gone and two of the young RBs emerge.

Tolzien should be a preseason phenom and an excellent clipboard holder during the season. I think Hundley makes the 53 as the 3rd and a wildcatter and gets some cross-training as a TE.