Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers 2015 Training Camp Questions

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    If any rookie anywhere in the draft could take that job from Hayward I'd be surprised.

That said we seem to have one hell of a secondary coaching staff. They've turned way less talented guys than Randall and Rollins into players so I expect great things from those two.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Goodson is being talked about because Hayward's condition before camp is unknown. Godson might be #1 outside if Hayward is unavailable. He might be on the 2nd or 3rd team too.
    I like Hayward but he has a history of not staying healthy and this was probably why we drafted those 2 DBs in the first 2 rounds after Tramon Williams left.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Seems like not much love for Randall in here. I expect him to justify his #1 draft pick and beat out Hayward at Tramon's old position. I expect Rollins to be good too. Hayward has a problem staying healthy, but if he does, he probably keeps the slot corner spot. DB is like WR - a lot of good players/hard to say how many we keep, but I hope more there at the expense of DL.

The defense got a LOT better last season when Matthews went inside. I hope/expect him to get most of his snaps there like late last season. The guy I'm anxious to see is Elliot at OLB. I'm expecting him to beat out Perry and Neal if he gets an opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Starks is gone and two of the young RBs emerge.

Tolzien should be a preseason phenom and an excellent clipboard holder during the season. I think Hundley makes the 53 as the 3rd and a wildcatter and gets some cross-training as a TE.
    I'm hoping Jake Ryan will be a major upgrade over Hawk and B. Jones inside to shore up the middle of that defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I'm hoping Jake Ryan will be a major upgrade over Hawk and B. Jones inside to shore up the middle of that defense.
    I would be an upgrade over the chase and drag brothers.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB? Hayward

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses? Hyde or double switch with Hayward and Randall/Rollins

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter? I have a good feeling about Jake Ryan. ILB is one of those positions that rookies tend to sink or swim right away. I'd be nice if Barrington took a step forward but for some reason its hard for me to imagine. Bradford is a dark horse to not suck.

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year) We have no shortage of pass rushers although none are of his caliber. I don't think he'll spend more than half his snaps at ILB anyways.

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season? More than enough. I think Pennel will be lucky to make this squad and he'd have no problem finding a job elsewhere.

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? (Altered from Oates question about whether one of them will be great - no need to engage in fantasy here) No. I think the best we can hope for is that Dickrod emerges as a red zone target. The blocking from this unit might be hard to watch again.

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job? Easily.

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? (In Madison, this is known as the Abbrederris question) 5. Bretskey adds another push pin and red string to his dimly lit and smoke filled Badger conspiracy investigation bulletin board room.

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)? Neal

10. Will Special Teams be improved? How can it not?

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form? He can.

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs? He'd pretty much have to be Devon Hester to get the punt return job from Hyde.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 07-27-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think the best we can hope for is that Dickrod emerges as a red zone target.
    Can we please make this a thing.

I like Hayward but he has a history of not staying healthy and this was probably why we drafted those 2 DBs in the first 2 rounds after Tramon Williams left.
    Don't forget that Shields, too, has quite an injury history. He has yet to play a 16 game season. He has played just 67 of 80 games in five years. If Shields and Hayward are the starters, the #3 CB should expect quite a few starts, and the #4 could get some, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    10. Will Special Teams be improved? How can it not?
    Don't tempt fate.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

MM said he had a long conversation with Quarless. "He made a mistake. we're working through it.

Will emphasize drills with CB's more because of youth.

Tolerance level of offseason incidents different than it was 10 years ago. Every case is different.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m24 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Another opportunity for us. Really kicked off Hall of Fame weekend and continued last week when some of our players came in early.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23m23 minutes ago
    MM: Don't know about Jordy Nelson going yet. He looks good. We're doing conditioning now. I don't have the full medical report yet.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 24m24 minutes ago
    McCarthy says hadn't had a medical meeting yet so not sure who is out for tomorrow's first practice.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 21m21 minutes ago
    First two practices in shells. That means pads on Saturday.

A lot of experience, McCarthy points out, to @TomSilverstein pointing out that 20 starters are back from last year.

McCarthy: spring is for rookies. Now, he wants to see the team make the grind and come together.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 19m19 minutes ago
    McCarthy: It's the best offensive line I've coached. I'm confident the 2015 line will be better than 2014. #PackersCamp

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 18m18 minutes ago
    Loss to Seattle won't be used as motivator. "We're about winning the world championship here. That's never changed."

SERIOUSLY, REGARDLESS OF HIS DEEFENSES OR CONCERNS ABOUT HIS CLOSE GAME STRATEGY WITH A LEAD, M3 HANDLES THE EMOTIONAL STATE OF THE TEAM BETTER THAN JUST ABOUT ANY COACH OUT THERE. REFUSES TO BUCKLE TO PUBLIC BUY-IN TO SIMPLISTIC NARRATIVES, KEEPS FOCUS ON LONG TERM

McCarthy on pressure: Between my family and the team, I don't have much time to worry about what other people think

SEE? THIS IS WHEN STUBBORN PAYS OFF

McCarthy said he's going to do more analytical work than in past. Job responsibility not distinctly laid out.

PLEASE GO READ ADVANCED NFL STATS WIN PROBABILITY ARTICLES, SPECIFICALLY HOW YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KICKED THREE FGS IN FIRST HALF VERSUS SEACHICKENS

Follow-up on analytics: Spend more time on ourselves. Goes back to Schottenheimer "you are who you think you are."

OH GOD NO. SCHOTTENHEIMER IS EXACTLY THE COACH WHO WOULD TAKE 3 FGS ON THE ROAD VERSUS A GOOD DEFENSE. HE ALSO NEVER MADE IT OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS MIKE

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
    MM on Quarless: Talked to Andrew. He was here today. We had a long conversation after his incident. It's a legal process. He made a mistake.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
    MM: I'm disappointed, he's disappointed. He made a mistake and we're working through it.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
    MM on Guion and Jones suspensions: I think it's better served to talk about when we get down the line. How do we balance the reps ...

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
    Will emphasize drill work more with new-look corners."That's the beauty of the fundamental drills. .. Joe Whitt's outstanding."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13m13 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Rodgers' reps with four QBs: It's a conversation. Not counting throws yet since Rodgers is in his prime.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
    McCarthy on being the favorite: Treating team any differently would make him a "super-hypocrite." Could be best leadership he's had.

SEE ABOVE ABOUT MANAGING EMOTION AND EXPECTATIONS

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
    "Hell, I agree with them. I think we're going to win it, too," McCarthy said on being the favorite.

NO WONDER HE LOVED FINLEY. THAT'S ENOUGH M3!
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-29-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Is this beard to stay or does he shave it off before Regular Season opener?

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He'll run with it until the first loss, then it'll come off.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    So then, you're saying it stays?

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    He'll look like a member of ZZTop after the SB.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

I hope it comes off. It makes him look older than he is.

I hope it comes off. It makes him look older than he is.
    It's called "Distinguished"

I think it makes him look slimmer. Or maybe they got a wider podium.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 1h1 hour ago
    Since winning Super Bowl 45, the Packers are 1-10 against the last 3 NFC champions (NYG/SF/SEA). 10 straight losses.