Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady 4 Game Suspension Upheld

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It seems the simple result going forward is that if goodell rules outside of things specifically defined in the CBA regarding player conduct, players should immediately appeal. The finding was about goodell a power not about Brady's innocence.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Judge Doty asked him if he had even read the CBA which I thought was funny.
    Wow... Doty's an asshole.

I think the league should just forget about this litigation and instead just halt play at the start of every Patriot offensive possession and have the ball tested in the middle of the field. They can hire the lady with the bell from the last season of GoT to stand next to Brady, stare at him, and chant 'shame' while the test goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It seems the simple result going forward is that if goodell rules outside of things specifically defined in the CBA regarding player conduct, players should immediately appeal. The finding was about goodell a power not about Brady's innocence.
    This is what folks are forgetting today. The judge didn't rule on Brady's guilt or innocence - just on how the penalty was meted out and the conduct during the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Wow... Doty's an asshole.

I think the league should just forget about this litigation and instead just halt play at the start of every Patriot offensive possession and have the ball tested in the middle of the field. They can hire the lady with the bell from the last season of GoT to stand next to Brady, stare at him, and chant 'shame' while the test goes on.

Doty is simply observant....and the court of Goodell's own choosing in New York observed the same thing. He writes his own labor laws.

As a side note,

Man, you really hate the Pats....I don't like them myself and in particular I don't like Brady mainly due to that smirk but I can't say I have the same passion of dislike....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    He and thousands of other players.I have to admit I'm far less outraged than you.
    The NFL does not enforce every rule they have on the books. Technically, it's specifically prohibited in the rules to punch a ball in player possession. The ball is also considered to be part of the player that's possessing it, so doing so would also, technically, be grounds for game disqualification. Yet that rule has not been enforced for decades. Still, if the NFL wanted, they could FINE players for having done it in last week's games.

The reason the NFL tried to lay the hammer here, laid the hammer on the Pats for Spygate, and the Saints for Bountygate, is that they sent communication to the Saints and Patriots informing them the cat was out and that they need to stop the cheating. They did not comply.

If the league had wanted to crack down on Stickem, Rice would have backed down.

As it stands, there is no justice in the NFL or in the US as a whole for that matter. There is just posturing, politics, and litigation.

As it applies to the NFL, Goodell will now need to levy harsher penalties more often to offset the fact the union will appeal literally everything that comes down. That's great for a cheat like Brady, but pretty terrible for basically anyone playing it straight.

The NFL does not enforce every rule they have on the books. Technically, it's specifically prohibited in the rules to punch a ball in player possession. The ball is also considered to be part of the player that's possessing it, so doing so would also, technically, be grounds for game disqualification. Yet that rule has not been enforced for decades. Still, if the NFL wanted, they could FINE players for having done it in last week's games.

The reason the NFL tried to lay the hammer here, laid the hammer on the Pats for Spygate, and the Saints for Bountygate, is that they sent communication to the Saints and Patriots informing them the cat was out and that they need to stop the cheating. They did not comply.

As it stands, there is no justice in the NFL or in the US as a whole for that matter. There is just posturing, politics, and litigation.

As it applies to the NFL, Goodell will now need to levy harsher penalties more often to offset the fact the union will appeal literally everything that comes down. That's great for a cheat like Brady, but pretty terrible for basically anyone playing it straight.
    What is nuts is how poorly the league botched this entire mess from day one. All they had to do was give Brady a one game suspension and a fine and that would have been the end of it. But because Goodell wanted to make an example out of NE and Brady for pass sins they now look ridiculous and have created a nightmare for any future penalties.

You do raise some good points although I'm not sure of your last point. Instead of increasingly harsh penalties I think the owners are going to voluntarily reign this guy in. The court losses are piling up and they kind of look like fools.

man, goodell just got bitched slapped

and then he appeals it, making sure it drags on for even longer

the owners HAVE to be thinking about getting rid of him. what a fucking joke that guy has become

Court cost go both ways. The union spent about as much money as the league, I'd guess.

As for how much you think I dislike the Patriots, I really don't think it's pertinent. What I don't like is cheating, and they decide how much of that they do, not me.

And yes, Doty's comment was definitely rude and has no place in a court. Can you imagine how Doty would have responded to the same question? That gavel would be flying. But he gets to make the childish, unprofessional, sarcastic queries, because he's the judge. And an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This is what folks are forgetting today. The judge didn't rule on Brady's guilt or innocence - just on how the penalty was meted out and the conduct during the appeal.
    I don't think people are, I know I'm not. My post above was all about abuse of power, nothing to do with actual events.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Goodell is still bringing in the $ to the NFL in record amounts. So I don't think the owners are going to do squat until the trough starts having less for them to feed on as that's all they really care about anyways. If there's a drop in the revenue, then they will look to get rid of him and use his handling of the players as a contributing factor.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Court cost go both ways. The union spent about as much money as the league, I'd guess. Possibly more, since they were the plaintiffs.

As for how much you think I dislike the Patriots, I really don't think it's pertinent. What I don't like is cheating, and they decide how much of that they do, not me.

And yes, Doty's comment was definitely rude and has no place in a court.
    I don't think Doty's comments were of an uncommon variety at all. Have you ever been in court with a PO'd judge? They'll let you know exactly how they feel, and there is not much you can do except listen.
    --

I know they're common. Doesn't make them right.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I don't think Doty's comments were of an uncommon variety at all. Have you ever been in court with a PO'd judge? They'll let you know exactly how they feel, and there is not much you can do except listen.

That sounded like any other rebuke from any other judge in any other case to me too. I'm about half way through the actual decision and judge Berman has some gems in there too.

I mean honestly, I'd have to question if the dude ever looked at the CBA. I'm beginning to think he doesn't consider it relevant in anything he does.

This is a classic good-cop bad-cop routine from the NFL and that Pats. The Pats organization is sticking up for the players, while the big bad NFL central office doles out unfair* punishment.

*The owners would seem to be behind the punishments (at least as a group) as Goodell has kept his position so far.

Don't be too quick to kick Goodell out the door.

People in power are typically assholes. Seems about right.

A subtle shot but very effective........"a heralded independent investigation".....funny.

(S.D.N.Y. 2007). As co-lead investigator and senior executive with the NFL, Pash was in the
    best position to testify about the NFL 's degree of involvement in, and potential shaping of, a
    heralded "independent" Investigation.
    The issues known to Pash constituted "evidence plainly
    pertinent and material to the controversy," Tempo Shain, 120 F.3d at 19 (quoting 9 U.S.C. §
    10(a)(3)), and Commissioner Goodell's refusal to hear such evidence warrants vacatur of the
    Award under9 U.S.C. § 10(a)(3).
    Last edited by Rastak; 09-03-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    This is a classic good-cop bad-cop routine from the NFL and that Pats. The Pats organization is sticking up for the players, while the big bad NFL central office doles out unfair* punishment.

*The owners would seem to be behind the punishments (at least as a group) as Goodell has kept his position so far.

Don't be too quick to kick Goodell out the door.
    Very good point. However, someone is both pushing and advising Goodell to take certain steps to accomplish what the owners want. He could have held as hard a line with other, more deliberate steps.

There is reporting that the Patriots are mad at Jeff Pash, he is being seen as the one pushing for the maximalist position here (at least by Kraft). However, its all unsourced stuff, so the Pats might just be mad he wouldn't testify in the appeal.

But if he is being the hard ass, then Pash could take the fall. Then better question then whether someone more effective takes his place because Roger doesn't get this yet.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

PFT is reporting that the NFL is going to appeal. And that Hardy is considering his options

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-will-appeal/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...me-suspension/

Shades of
    --

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Court cost go both ways. The union spent about as much money as the league, I'd guess.

And yes, Doty's comment was definitely rude and has no place in a court. Can you imagine how Doty would have responded to the same question? That gavel would be flying. But he gets to make the childish, unprofessional, sarcastic queries, because he's the judge. And an asshole.
    Court costs are not the same as legal fees.

I just got finished with a lengthy civil suit and we won. We were award $45,000 in court costs (basically to pay for the court reporter during months of depositions). The legal fees were well over $500,000.

Second person in the case waited for the verdict. Then he sued. Insurance company settled out of court for less than $500,000 and felt they came out ahead. We did nothing wrong and were completely vindicated in the first trial.
    Last edited by ThunderDan; 09-03-2015 at 02:23 PM.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston