Thread: Von Miller signs

Von Miller signs

Broncos get Von Miller under contract, it was far from a sure thing for a bit there! Miller had stated he would not play under the tag, so it was now or never.

It's either a 3yr/$70M (23.3M per year) or 4yr/$78.5M (19.6M per year) deal.

One way this contact is different is that instead of funny money at the back end, the 2nd half of the contract is team friendly, averaging just under $18M/yr. Because of this I would be surprised if it goes 4 years - if he keeps playing at the level he is, he's going to balk at the salary drop for that last year. That goes double for years 5 and 6, if the economics of the league continue their current trend, he'll be badly underpaid by then (remember - everything's relative!).

Big for sure, I think it eclipses the Suh deal but I'd have to look. One surprising thing is that it's more money than 3 consecutive years under the franchise tag would've paid him. If they'd done that, he would have gotten $56M for 3 years, averaging $18.7M/year. That would have been better for the Broncos, so they must have believed him when he said he would not play under the tag.

From http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...ract/274328718
    • 2016: $17 million signing bonus/$6 million roster bonus ($23 million paid out within 14 days), $2 million in salary and workout bonus, other bonuses. Total $25 million (fully guaranteed).
    • 2017: $17 million in salary, bonuses (fully guaranteed). Total is $42 million after two years.
    • 2018: $19 million in salary, bonuses. (Injury-only guarantee, converts to full guarantee in eight months, or March 17). Total is $61 million after three years.
    • 2019: $17.5 million in salary, bonuses. (Injury-only guarantee but $9 million converts to full guarantee a year earlier, or in March, 2018). Total is $78.5 million after four years with $70 million guaranteed.
    • 2020: $17.5 million in salary. $500,000 work out bonus (no guarantees). Total is $96.5 million after five years
    • 2021: $17.5 million in salary. $500,000 work out bonus (no guarantees). Total is $114.5 million after six years
    Last edited by Guiness; 07-15-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Contracts matter. I'd rather have clay on the deal we have him than Miller for that.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.