Thread: Brady 4 Game Suspension Upheld

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Isn't the more relevant issue that the deflation was occurring after the inspection? What Rodgers did is (relatively) upfront and (arguably) within the procedures. The only way it gains an advantage is if the NFL is incompetent. The other is fraudulent and clearly outside the procedures.
    Sure. Both in terms of the integrity of the game rules and the actual effect on the game. But the generally aware standard plus the inferences made by the texts only hint at Brady's knowledge of tampering after inspection.

Even reading Brady as generally evasive and willfully destroying possible evidence, there is no direct evidence he knew about deflating after the fact.

So you can start an investigation of Rodgers last year, find a number of footballs from low temperature games below 12.5 at halftime (or warm temperature games above 13.5), and suspend him for his comments and failure to turn over texts.

I have no doubt Brady rode his equipment crew like rented mules to get the balls down to the barest minimum they could get away with, just as Rodgers is looking for balloon specs. But the evidence that Brady knew about methods to evade the rules after inspection is sorely lacking.

I would however, on principle, go along with sanctioning Hoody just on general principle. Same with Goodell for destroying the tapes of Hoody's malfeasance.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sure. Both in terms of the integrity of the game rules and the actual effect on the game. But the generally aware standard plus the inferences made by the texts only hint at Brady's knowledge of tampering after inspection.

Even reading Brady as generally evasive and willfully destroying possible evidence, there is no direct evidence he knew about deflating after the fact.

So you can start an investigation of Rodgers last year, find a number of footballs from low temperature games below 12.5 at halftime (or warm temperature games above 13.5), and suspend him for his comments and failure to turn over texts.

I have no doubt Brady rode his equipment crew like rented mules to get the balls down to the barest minimum they could get away with, just as Rodgers is looking for balloon specs. But the evidence that Brady knew about methods to evade the rules after inspection is sorely lacking.

I would however, on principle, go along with sanctioning Hoody just on general principle. Same with Goodell for destroying the tapes of Hoody's malfeasance.
    I see your point, but there still seems to be a substantive diference. In one instance the QB openly explained what was going on and hid nothing. In fact, there seems to be no wrong doing under the rules and he would probably be allowed to continue with the same process.

In the other, there was fraud occurring with cover-up after-the-fact. The inference seems pretty strong to me. I think that had Brady merely thought it was the same situation as Rodgers, this thing would have been over in about 1 day.

I see your point, but there still seems to be a substantive diference. In one instance the QB openly explained what was going on and hid nothing. In fact, there seems to be no wrong doing under the rules and he would probably be allowed to continue with the same process.

In the other, there was fraud occurring with cover-up after-the-fact. The inference seems pretty strong to me. I think that had Brady merely thought it was the same situation as Rodgers, this thing would have been over in about 1 day.
    Well, we only have Rodgers comments in this reality. But imagine what his comments sound like if there is video of the equipment guys stealing off with the footballs prior to games or if the Bears complained during a game. Is there anything so terribly wrong with re-inflating an official deflated ball back to 13.5 according to the team gauge?

You just need another piece of kindling to produce some smoke if you have teams out to get you (Jets, Ravens, Colts, Brett Favre with the matches).

But what the investigator is after with Vincent about the Vikes/Panthers and Rodgers is the inconsistent criteria of an investigation and punishment. With the Vikes, it was a news story and then fines and warning. Rodgers got nothing. The reason an investigation was triggered for the Pats was because two teams complained (Ravens to Colts, Colts to League). But the trigger was a game ball that a Colts player thought was under inflated. And remember that the Colts ball boys were reportedly seen on the sidelines with inflation needles.

So, you want an inference? The Colts were in charge of the ball that caused the investigation.

At that point, the League was measuring balls with no accurate basis for comparison. And if you consult someone who does not insist on incorrectly applying the Ideal Gas Law, the balls were all within expected tolerances during a wet and cold game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/sp...after-all.html

So the League is now maintaining they are consistent in applying the in-game standard, when they have no idea what that standard should have been.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/sp...after-all.html

So the League is now maintaining they are consistent in applying the in-game standard, when they have no idea what that standard should have been.
    The guys behind the shield are looking more and more like an idiot midget behind a curtain

--
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    The guys behind the shield are looking more and more like an idiot midget behind a curtain

Its classic Roger. Have no plan for bad outcomes, be presented publicly with a bad outcome, make it up as you go along and pretend that was the plan all along.

The inference and lack of credibility of Brady seems to have been a major rationale for the decision.

Apparently, Brady destroyed a phone that was only 4 months old, on the same day he was interviewed. His explanation is that it was his normal procedure, but he still had an older phone that was not destroyed. The destroyed phone just happened to be in the critical time period. -- How unfortunate.

Deflate' was a term they used to refer to losing weight. -- Strange coincidence.

http://deadspin.com/the-full-story-o...one-1722190784

The inference and lack of credibility of Brady seems to have been a major rationale for the decision.

Apparently, Brady destroyed a phone that was only 4 months old, on the same day he was interviewed. His explanation is that it was his normal procedure, but he still had an older phone that was not destroyed. The destroyed phone just happened to be in the critical time period. -- How unfortunate.

Deflate' was a term they used to refer to losing weight. -- Strange coincidence.

http://deadspin.com/the-full-story-o...one-1722190784
    The whole 'destroyed phone' thing now takes on a different slant with the information that he still has the previous phone in his possession. If the NFL knew this, I wonder why they didn't release the information. I think a lot of people understood why he would destroy his old phone, even if the timing was suspect. Of course, it is possible the NFL didn't want to look like they were trying to tar and feather Brady anymore than they already do, so leaked the info to Deadspin knowing it would get out.

Jesus Deadspin is one of the best sources for investigative journalism out there. They have a pretty narrow focus, but it's they decide to look at something, you can be pretty sure they're not going to leave any stone unturned...and they don't kick ass and take names, I don't know that I've seen any unfounded mudslinging coming out of them.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...