Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady 4 Game Suspension Upheld

Judge: All labor is deceitful and corrupt. Your rules don't take that into account properly. Zaaap!!

The league let the inmates run the asylum when it came to game balls by allowing teams to prepare them instead of the league. The irony in all of this is Brady, along with Manning and others, petitioned the league to change the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    The league let the inmates run the asylum when it came to game balls by allowing teams to prepare them instead of the league. The irony in all of this is Brady, along with Manning and others, petitioned the league to change the rules!
    That is one thing that LaCanfora's article about changes in the League Office doesn't cover. He openly wonders if the old guard would have botched this so badly.

But Ray Anderson, the Operations guy before Troy Vincent, was the person who put rules into place for QBs to prep the balls.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    That's the whole thing to get out of this. Goodell shoots from the hip there are no rules in his mind. I do what I want he seems to think.

Get a process that makes sense. Follow the "law of the shop" as legally required and for god sakes don't have the NFL head lawyers EDITING THE INDEPENDENT FINDINGS.

I mean, is this the ultimate in balls.

They make a big deal about ball's air pressure yet have never had any controls in place. They honestly come off as a bunch of amateur morons in a billion dollar industry.
    Your thinking is exactly in line with mine. It's the old 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' and the NFL with its myriad of exemptions has been allowed to run around doing whatever the hell they want for a long, long time.

And the guys who own the teams are largely a bunch of egomaniacal cowboys, which is all kinds of crazy. When you step back and look at it, it's almost crazy it works at all.

Their behavior here is similar to how they've acted in other, seemingly unrelated matters, like the whole concussion issue.

btw I missed the 'editing the independent findings' thing. I assume they doctored the Wells report? More proof of the above.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Hammer falling on the Ginger Hammer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...inary-process/

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, owners plan to discuss Commissioner Roger Goodell’s role in the disciplinary process.

“There will certainly be discussion about that,” an owner told Maske, on the condition of anonymity. The owner added that he’s “not sure where it will lead.”
    3 owners have spoken up in favor of a change in role, rather than just changing the execs under him. Kraft the Younger, York and Blank. But that is not exactly murderer's row from the Owners. You take as given the Kraft's are pissed, but York is young and not sure how much sway Blank has.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Your thinking is exactly in line with mine. It's the old 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' and the NFL with its myriad of exemptions has been allowed to run around doing whatever the hell they want for a long, long time.

And the guys who own the teams are largely a bunch of egomaniacal cowboys, which is all kinds of crazy. When you step back and look at it, it's almost crazy it works at all.

Their behavior here is similar to how they've acted in other, seemingly unrelated matters, like the whole concussion issue.

btw I missed the 'editing the independent findings' thing. I assume they doctored the Wells report? More proof of the above.

Jeffrey Pash, the head lawyer guy for the NFL took the Wells report and made some "edits" which was testified to in court. When Wells was asked what Pash had "edited" he said he wasn't sure but felt the crux of the report was correct and it was just a lawyer "wordsmithing"

Now you gotta have some seeds to try and pull that off. Another lawyer who was working on the "independent report" ended up sitting at the table across from the NFLPA during the appeal, on the payroll of the NFL. I mean, you can't dream this shit up.

--
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Is Goodell, not his subordinates, the problem?

WaPo: Sally Jenkins, https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...m_sports_pop_b

The Brady case is really about one man’s immoderate need to horsewhip others. Taken with other anecdotes of Goodell over the years, a picture emerges of a stubborn desire to break those who oppose or question him, to bend them to his will when it comes to his personal authority. In Kent Babb’s excellent profile of Goodell, a player involved in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement remembered how Goodell would flush red with fury and stalk out of the room when his proposals were rejected. Another excellent profile by ESPN’s Don Van Natta a few years ago contained a similar story. An NFL assistant coach was stopped for suspicion of driving under the influence. The offense was reduced to reckless driving, and his lawyer pled for mercy from Goodell in a disciplinary hearing, telling Goodell that the coach had a previously unblemished record.
    Sally is not my favorite columnist and sometimes she heads to places not supported by the evidence*. However, Kent Baab and Van Natta (whose article on the Asst Coach I cannot find) are very good. So if Roger is a red-faced maximalist and not simply a stooge, he might be the source of the change that Kessler (above in Guiness' post) sees in the League in 2012.

Here is Baab's article on Goodell that contains the CBA negotiations story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...0f8_story.html plus this:

“Good is not good enough,” a former league office colleague said of the kind of outcome Goodell pursues. “It’s got to be perfect.”
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-05-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Stradley:

The way the NFL deals with addiction issues, domestic violence, equipment violations, whatever is like it is a personal affront to Roger Goodell. It's not about him. People are imperfect human beings with their own life histories and capacity to deal with things. Seems like so many of the things are recklessly hammered in an entire process that has little regard to the collateral impact to the players, staff, families, crime victims.
    Whole thing, and it is long, worth a read.
    http://www.stradleylaw.com/legal-imp...berman-ruling/
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-05-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Collateral damage in Goodell/Wells investigations:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/09/0...investigation/

Dinged by Wells for not cooperating (investigators would not produce HIPPA docs that would allow release of medical info) and later fired for role in Bullygate.

And again from Baab's story, my favorite hobby horse:

The league office under Goodell seems to favor an approach taken from a political campaign playbook: taking the temperature of ideas through media leaks, extensive polling and third-party data gathering. Crises often become endurance tests waged in the public sphere.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I shocked that so many honkies are shocked that another honkie got away with something.

You read the WaPost, pb?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    You read the WaPost, pb?
    Wonkblog yes. News/sports, occasionally, mostly when a link takes me there from elsewhere as it did with the Jenkins piece.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    I shocked that so many honkies are shocked that another honkie got away with something.
    Not as shocked as the honkies who let him get away.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Stradley:

Whole thing, and it is long, worth a read.
    http://www.stradleylaw.com/legal-imp...berman-ruling/

Thanks PB.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wonkblog yes. News/sports, occasionally, mostly when a link takes me there from elsewhere as it did with the Jenkins piece.
    No shame, PB. A WaPo online subscription was my one big Christmas present this year (I'm too cheap to ask for NYT), and I've gotten more use from it than anything else in the last 5 years.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

I find myself disagreeing with some of Ms. Stradley's conclusions. I see different patterns than most people, though, which isn't always useful.