Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady 4 Game Suspension Upheld

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'd buy the under the radar thing, but the Ref (Walt Anderson) it happened to for the Colts game said it has never happened to him before. So I am thinking they would remember such an unusual circumstance.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I have not commented on this yet because I am so sick of this topic but here goes from someone that really does not like the pats or Brady so here goes do I think Brady did something wrong or had some one do it for him yes, do I think he destroyed his phone so they couldnt see the texts yes, I also think he is lieing to Kraft so he has him backing him up but do I think that the punishment is over the line yes I do , I think Godel is finally so fed up with the Pats breaking the rules or just right to the point of them that he has had it and trying to make a point of it and say no more will be tolerated . I am also sure he has teams agreeing with him or he probably would have backed down but there has been a good amount of teams blaming the Pats for cheating on one thing or another and have been proven right and old roger just slapped them on the wrist and now he has egg on his face for letting them get away with thing in the past do I think its fair to punish them for previous infractions no but no matter what happens he has sent all the teams a message that the cheating for all the teams is stopping now.

Edit: I'm just frustrated that the punishment can be set for an infraction that changes when the previous infraction can't be proven in a year where punishments can be stiffened after older policies were discarded for not being tough enough.

I think that sets up a chilly world for any NFL player that the hammer can be dropped on them for any reason or no reason or different reason or angry outsiders's protests.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 09-02-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Judge overturned the 4 game suspension.

EDIT: Word is suspension was "nullified". It could still be sent back for an lower level decision under new guidelines or the Judge could order new talks.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 9m9 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Tom Brady beats NFL in 'Deflategate' court case, judge nullifies league's 4-game suspension.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-03-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 30m30 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
    Bob Costas is hyperventilating right now thinking about his opening night monologue

Nice case for the fact that PSI measures at halftime DID show that the Pats balls were tampered with, though the strength of the finding is diminished by having only 4 Colts balls tested.

The link would help, huh? http://www.footballperspective.com/t...f-deflategate/

Not upheld anymore.

Federal judge who ESPN legal analyst said had zero chance of overturning the suspension has done just that, as I expected.

"The suspension was "premised upon several significant legal deficiencies" including the failure to notify Brady of potential penalties, Berman wrote in his opinion, noting that an arbitrator's factual findings are generally not open to judicial challenge.

"Because there was no notice of a four-game suspension in the circumstances presented here, Commissioner Goodell may be said to have 'dispensed his own brand of industrial justice,'" Berman wrote, partially citing wording from a previous case."

And that is my problem with Goodell. He completely ignores the rule of law routinely. Case after case after case. Abritration awards are rarely overturned by courts. Very rarely. This pea brain has it happen routinely.

edit: Thanks for link PB.
    Last edited by Rastak; 09-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.

A victory for law, or a defeat for justice? Both?
    Last edited by smuggler; 09-03-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Its a procedural ruling. Failure to serve notice of changes to policies and lack of availability of discovery materials (it would not be called that in a CBA appeal) and the investigators. As frustrating as this is (personally I would prefer a debate on the PSI numbers and an investigation into the Brady text messages that they chose not to recover), this was completely avoidable.

The Judge even quotes Tagliabue about Goodell the lack of previous suspensions for being uncooperative with an investigation. The NFL can get everything it seems to want here, all it needs is to serve notice first. This is what I cannot understand about Goodell's approach.

BTW, the Judge offered no opinion on the appropriateness of a Commissioner being the final arbitrator.

The suspension was "premised upon several significant legal deficiencies," Berman wrote in his opinion, noting that an arbitrator's factual findings are generally not open to judicial challenge.

Berman's ruling does not necessarily end the dispute. The league can appeal. Neither side's top lawyer immediately responded to an email seeking comment.

The judge said Brady had no notice he could receive a four-game suspension for general awareness of ball deflation by others or participation in any scheme to deflate football and for not cooperating with an investigation.

"Brady also had no notice that his discipline would be the equivalent of the discipline imposed upon a player who used performance enhancing drugs," Berman said.

Brady was also denied equal access to investigative files, including witness interview notes, and didn't have a chance to examine one of two lead investigators, the judge said.
    http://pro32.ap.org/article/judge-le...fl-deflategate

Jets and Jay Feely make an appearance.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 41s42 seconds ago
    Judge Berman cites Jets K-ball case in ruling wiping out Brady's suspension http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Qcd

Here is the entire 40 page ruling.

http://t.co/ivxxw9HwjE
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-03-2015 at 10:28 AM.

This is essentially what I expected would happen.No judge would sign off on how this was handled.

When the league's/Goodell's procedure was held to the light of day, there was no way it stand up. Any sort of rule of law view of the whole process would find all sorts of issues. I don't remember what it was, but part of the reason for the punishment was a rule that Brady broke that was no documented in anything he had access to?

The best parallel I can draw is that Goodell acted as if the anti-trust exemption the league enjoys for TV rights also applies to its disciplinary process.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    This is essentially what I expected would happen.No judge would sign off on how this was handled.

When the league's/Goodell's procedure was held to the light of day, there was no way it stand up. Any sort of rule of law view of the whole process would find all sorts of issues. I don't remember what it was, but part of the reason for the punishment was a rule that Brady broke that was no documented in anything he had access to?

The best parallel I can draw is that Goodell acted as if the anti-trust exemption the league enjoys for TV rights also applies to its disciplinary process.

Judge Doty asked him if he had even read the CBA which I thought was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Judge Doty asked him if he had even read the CBA which I thought was funny.
    Wow... Doty's an asshole.

I think the league should just forget about this litigation and instead just halt play at the start of every Patriot offensive possession and have the ball tested in the middle of the field. They can hire the lady with the bell from the last season of GoT to stand next to Brady, stare at him, and chant 'shame' while the test goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Wow... Doty's an asshole.

I think the league should just forget about this litigation and instead just halt play at the start of every Patriot offensive possession and have the ball tested in the middle of the field. They can hire the lady with the bell from the last season of GoT to stand next to Brady, stare at him, and chant 'shame' while the test goes on.

Doty is simply observant....and the court of Goodell's own choosing in New York observed the same thing. He writes his own labor laws.

As a side note,

Man, you really hate the Pats....I don't like them myself and in particular I don't like Brady mainly due to that smirk but I can't say I have the same passion of dislike....lol.

Brady is a cheater and everyone knows it, but he gets to hold up a hand with a single finger extended adorned with four rings and smugface a 'fuck you' to doodletwat Goodell.Everybody wins?

Brady is a cheater and everyone knows it, but he gets to hold up a hand with a single finger extended adorned with four rings and smugface a 'fuck you' to doodletwat Goodell.Everybody wins?

He and thousands of other players. Jerry Rice and stickum come to mind. Feeley and kicking balls mentioned in the ruling. Panthers last year warming up footballs by the heater which prompted a warning to both the Vikings and the Panther to cease and desist. I have to admit I'm far less outraged than you. The whole spygate thing bothered me alot more.

I can picture Brady brow beating those two morons telling them to make sure the balls come in as soft as they can then these dummies went and let the air out.

If Brady specifically said "Go let the air out" I'd still not be outraged. It's stupid as hell in the first place that teams supply the balls and pick the air pressure range. Make 'em all 13 and make both teams use the same balls and the NFL officials bring them to the games. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    He and thousands of other players.I have to admit I'm far less outraged than you.
    The NFL does not enforce every rule they have on the books. Technically, it's specifically prohibited in the rules to punch a ball in player possession. The ball is also considered to be part of the player that's possessing it, so doing so would also, technically, be grounds for game disqualification. Yet that rule has not been enforced for decades. Still, if the NFL wanted, they could FINE players for having done it in last week's games.

The reason the NFL tried to lay the hammer here, laid the hammer on the Pats for Spygate, and the Saints for Bountygate, is that they sent communication to the Saints and Patriots informing them the cat was out and that they need to stop the cheating. They did not comply.

If the league had wanted to crack down on Stickem, Rice would have backed down.

As it stands, there is no justice in the NFL or in the US as a whole for that matter. There is just posturing, politics, and litigation.

As it applies to the NFL, Goodell will now need to levy harsher penalties more often to offset the fact the union will appeal literally everything that comes down. That's great for a cheat like Brady, but pretty terrible for basically anyone playing it straight.

The NFL does not enforce every rule they have on the books. Technically, it's specifically prohibited in the rules to punch a ball in player possession. The ball is also considered to be part of the player that's possessing it, so doing so would also, technically, be grounds for game disqualification. Yet that rule has not been enforced for decades. Still, if the NFL wanted, they could FINE players for having done it in last week's games.

The reason the NFL tried to lay the hammer here, laid the hammer on the Pats for Spygate, and the Saints for Bountygate, is that they sent communication to the Saints and Patriots informing them the cat was out and that they need to stop the cheating. They did not comply.

As it stands, there is no justice in the NFL or in the US as a whole for that matter. There is just posturing, politics, and litigation.

As it applies to the NFL, Goodell will now need to levy harsher penalties more often to offset the fact the union will appeal literally everything that comes down. That's great for a cheat like Brady, but pretty terrible for basically anyone playing it straight.
    What is nuts is how poorly the league botched this entire mess from day one. All they had to do was give Brady a one game suspension and a fine and that would have been the end of it. But because Goodell wanted to make an example out of NE and Brady for pass sins they now look ridiculous and have created a nightmare for any future penalties.

You do raise some good points although I'm not sure of your last point. Instead of increasingly harsh penalties I think the owners are going to voluntarily reign this guy in. The court losses are piling up and they kind of look like fools.

The NFL might appeal, even if they don't (or lose on appeal), they might come back with a fine and Brady appeals the fine.

This is likely to drag on and we all lose for having to hear more about it for the next year+. Nobody wins.