Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Hammer falling on the Ginger Hammer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...inary-process/

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, owners plan to discuss Commissioner Roger Goodell’s role in the disciplinary process.

“There will certainly be discussion about that,” an owner told Maske, on the condition of anonymity. The owner added that he’s “not sure where it will lead.”
    3 owners have spoken up in favor of a change in role, rather than just changing the execs under him. Kraft the Younger, York and Blank. But that is not exactly murderer's row from the Owners. You take as given the Kraft's are pissed, but York is young and not sure how much sway Blank has.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

--
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Is Goodell, not his subordinates, the problem?

WaPo: Sally Jenkins, https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...m_sports_pop_b

The Brady case is really about one man’s immoderate need to horsewhip others. Taken with other anecdotes of Goodell over the years, a picture emerges of a stubborn desire to break those who oppose or question him, to bend them to his will when it comes to his personal authority. In Kent Babb’s excellent profile of Goodell, a player involved in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement remembered how Goodell would flush red with fury and stalk out of the room when his proposals were rejected. Another excellent profile by ESPN’s Don Van Natta a few years ago contained a similar story. An NFL assistant coach was stopped for suspicion of driving under the influence. The offense was reduced to reckless driving, and his lawyer pled for mercy from Goodell in a disciplinary hearing, telling Goodell that the coach had a previously unblemished record.
    Sally is not my favorite columnist and sometimes she heads to places not supported by the evidence*. However, Kent Baab and Van Natta (whose article on the Asst Coach I cannot find) are very good. So if Roger is a red-faced maximalist and not simply a stooge, he might be the source of the change that Kessler (above in Guiness' post) sees in the League in 2012.

Here is Baab's article on Goodell that contains the CBA negotiations story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...0f8_story.html plus this:

“Good is not good enough,” a former league office colleague said of the kind of outcome Goodell pursues. “It’s got to be perfect.”
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-05-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Stradley:

The way the NFL deals with addiction issues, domestic violence, equipment violations, whatever is like it is a personal affront to Roger Goodell. It's not about him. People are imperfect human beings with their own life histories and capacity to deal with things. Seems like so many of the things are recklessly hammered in an entire process that has little regard to the collateral impact to the players, staff, families, crime victims.
    Whole thing, and it is long, worth a read.
    http://www.stradleylaw.com/legal-imp...berman-ruling/
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-05-2015 at 12:38 PM.

And again from Baab's story, my favorite hobby horse:

The league office under Goodell seems to favor an approach taken from a political campaign playbook: taking the temperature of ideas through media leaks, extensive polling and third-party data gathering. Crises often become endurance tests waged in the public sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Stradley:

Whole thing, and it is long, worth a read.
    http://www.stradleylaw.com/legal-imp...berman-ruling/

Thanks PB.

Collateral damage in Goodell/Wells investigations:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/09/0...investigation/

Dinged by Wells for not cooperating (investigators would not produce HIPPA docs that would allow release of medical info) and later fired for role in Bullygate.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I shocked that so many honkies are shocked that another honkie got away with something.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    I shocked that so many honkies are shocked that another honkie got away with something.
    Not as shocked as the honkies who let him get away.

You read the WaPost, pb?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    You read the WaPost, pb?
    Wonkblog yes. News/sports, occasionally, mostly when a link takes me there from elsewhere as it did with the Jenkins piece.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wonkblog yes. News/sports, occasionally, mostly when a link takes me there from elsewhere as it did with the Jenkins piece.
    No shame, PB. A WaPo online subscription was my one big Christmas present this year (I'm too cheap to ask for NYT), and I've gotten more use from it than anything else in the last 5 years.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

I find myself disagreeing with some of Ms. Stradley's conclusions. I see different patterns than most people, though, which isn't always useful.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...patriots-apart

ESPN with a rather lengthy investigation back into Spygate. I dunno why this is just now coming out, feels like ESPN is attempting to cover up and spin for the NFL. Still, the allegations from 2002-2007 are interesting and prove just how far the Patriots went to cheat.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...patriots-apart

ESPN with a rather lengthy investigation back into Spygate. I dunno why this is just now coming out, feels like ESPN is attempting to cover up and spin for the NFL. Still, the allegations from 2002-2007 are interesting and prove just how far the Patriots went to cheat.
    Just reading it now. The scope hasn't changed, but the details are much better in this version of the story. Clearly, the anti-Patriots contingent, bolstered by Brady escaping a suspension, have decided to speak. And it appears the Patriots aren't exactly holding back either. Goodell is caught in the crossfire.

One detail I did not remember, and might be new, is the scouting done at the Rams Super Bowl walk through before the Rams/Pats game. Originally, the Boston Herald reported, wrongly as it turned out, that the Pats videotaped it. However in this version, Matt Walsh says he and two other Pats employees were present while setting up video equipment for the game while the Rams did their walkthrough.

They witnessed the Rams putting Marshall Faulk back on KO return and the Rams red zone package. Walsh says he communicated these things to Brian Daboll an assistant coach, who asked him to diagram what he saw.

The Pats kicked into a corner when Faulk went back for a KO in the 2nd quarter. And when the Rams ran one new red zone play, 3 Patriots were around Faulk.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ategate-ruling

Goodell is "open to changing my role (in player discipline)," he said. "It's become extremely time-consuming, and I have to be focused on other issues. I've discussed this with owners."

It's not quite as honest as "I suck at this and am tired of being raked over the coals due to my incompetence", but it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ategate-ruling

Goodell is "open to changing my role (in player discipline)," he said. "It's become extremely time-consuming, and I have to be focused on other issues. I've discussed this with owners."

It's not quite as honest as "I suck at this and am tired of being raked over the coals due to my incompetence", but it's a start.
    If he had a clue, this would have been the approach all along. Whoever put it in his head that HE had to have all the responsibility should be duct taped to a goal post.

Back to Deflategate, same article as Bossman's attractive avatar points to, a reminder about the specific complaint forwarded to the League Office about deflated footballs.

"It is well known around the league that after the Patriots game balls are checked by the officials and brought out for game usage, the ball boys for the Patriots will let out some air with a ball needle because their quarterback likes a smaller football so he can grip it better."
    Even the original complaint said this happened after the balls were delivered to the field under the auspices of the refs. So what was the explanation offered by the dude in the bathroom with 12 footballs? It seems highly unlikely it had happened before, because the refs would notice. But what was he doing in there?