Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady 4 Game Suspension Upheld

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...patriots-apart

ESPN with a rather lengthy investigation back into Spygate. I dunno why this is just now coming out, feels like ESPN is attempting to cover up and spin for the NFL. Still, the allegations from 2002-2007 are interesting and prove just how far the Patriots went to cheat.
    Go PACK

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ategate-ruling

Goodell is "open to changing my role (in player discipline)," he said. "It's become extremely time-consuming, and I have to be focused on other issues. I've discussed this with owners."

It's not quite as honest as "I suck at this and am tired of being raked over the coals due to my incompetence", but it's a start.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...patriots-apart

ESPN with a rather lengthy investigation back into Spygate. I dunno why this is just now coming out, feels like ESPN is attempting to cover up and spin for the NFL. Still, the allegations from 2002-2007 are interesting and prove just how far the Patriots went to cheat.
    Just reading it now. The scope hasn't changed, but the details are much better in this version of the story. Clearly, the anti-Patriots contingent, bolstered by Brady escaping a suspension, have decided to speak. And it appears the Patriots aren't exactly holding back either. Goodell is caught in the crossfire.

One detail I did not remember, and might be new, is the scouting done at the Rams Super Bowl walk through before the Rams/Pats game. Originally, the Boston Herald reported, wrongly as it turned out, that the Pats videotaped it. However in this version, Matt Walsh says he and two other Pats employees were present while setting up video equipment for the game while the Rams did their walkthrough.

They witnessed the Rams putting Marshall Faulk back on KO return and the Rams red zone package. Walsh says he communicated these things to Brian Daboll an assistant coach, who asked him to diagram what he saw.

The Pats kicked into a corner when Faulk went back for a KO in the 2nd quarter. And when the Rams ran one new red zone play, 3 Patriots were around Faulk.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ategate-ruling

Goodell is "open to changing my role (in player discipline)," he said. "It's become extremely time-consuming, and I have to be focused on other issues. I've discussed this with owners."

It's not quite as honest as "I suck at this and am tired of being raked over the coals due to my incompetence", but it's a start.
    If he had a clue, this would have been the approach all along. Whoever put it in his head that HE had to have all the responsibility should be duct taped to a goal post.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Back to Deflategate, same article as Bossman's attractive avatar points to, a reminder about the specific complaint forwarded to the League Office about deflated footballs.

"It is well known around the league that after the Patriots game balls are checked by the officials and brought out for game usage, the ball boys for the Patriots will let out some air with a ball needle because their quarterback likes a smaller football so he can grip it better."
    Even the original complaint said this happened after the balls were delivered to the field under the auspices of the refs. So what was the explanation offered by the dude in the bathroom with 12 footballs? It seems highly unlikely it had happened before, because the refs would notice. But what was he doing in there?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But what was he doing in there?
    You sick sonofabitch!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    You sick sonofabitch!

Its troubling, but tough questions must be asked!

Actually, after that ESPN article, I suspect they do know and are just not disclosing it to avoid further embarrassment.

From Bossman's article, the creation of the Integrity go the Game Policy:

GOODELL MOVED ON immediately -- the same day as Specter's floor statement, actually -- introducing a mandatory "Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules" to be signed by owners, team presidents, general managers and head coaches after each season, swearing they had "complied with all League competitive policies." The first thick paragraph detailing prohibited acts reads like a litany of Spygate-era acts and accusations, including "unauthorized videotaping on game day or of practices, meetings or other organized team activities" and the barring of "unauthorized entry into locker rooms, coaches' booths, meeting rooms or other private areas." At the same time, the league also relaxed its investigative standard of proof to the "preponderance of the evidence," making findings of guilt easier, and required the signees to cooperate with NFL investigations.
    Never given to players. Poor foresight.

From Bossman's article, the creation of the Integrity go the Game Policy:

Never given to players. Poor foresight.
    Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Even so, they should have reviewed the issue closer prior to deciding and issuing Brady's punishment. Had they done so, they probably would have framed the basis for their decision differently and had better support for punishing Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Even so, they should have reviewed the issue closer prior to deciding and issuing Brady's punishment. Had they done so, they probably would have framed the basis for their decision differently and had better support for punishing Brady.
    That's what kills me. Its a process issue. In some order, you knew the QBs had access to the Game Balls and could adjust the inflation AND you knew you had just written up a pretty draconian policy over game integrity and management. Someone should have the job of connecting those dots. And if they didn't, just using the Policy as the blanket cover for the appeal is a stupid ploy by the lawyers. Its so dumb, I want to imaging that Goodell and Pash came up with it on their own without help.

But more realistically, if inflation had ever troubled anyone prior to this it would have been dealt with. That ESPN article shows what role the Patriots reputation played in this formerly obscure and probably immaterial subject becoming the herald of the apocalypse.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-08-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Never underestimate what the power of prior bias does to one's ability to think clearly:

"Roger did the right thing -- at last," one owner said after Goodell upheld Brady's punishment. "He looks tough -- and that's good."

"Pleased," said another longtime owner.

"About time," an executive close to another owner said. "Overdue."

"The world has never seen anyone as good as Roger Goodell as a political maneuverer. If he were in Congress, he'd be majority [leader]," one owner says.
    Actual owner quotes after the appeal by Brady was upheld.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-08-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Sports Illustrated piling on as well. Seems like there are a lot of pissed off personnel around the league who are no longer concerned with protecting the reputation of the Patriots.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/pat...?xid=si_social
    Go PACK

Dispersal draft!!!
    I will keep pounding that table until it comes to fruition!

EDIT: Bossman bet me to it.

But that SI article has a little more detail about the Packers catching the Pats recording the defensive signals of Bob Sanders and Co. in 2006.
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-08-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Never underestimate what the power of prior bias does to one's ability to think clearly:

Actually owner quotes after the appeal by Brady was upheld.

Maybe they are thinking clearly, and simply distrust the Patsies.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Maybe they are thinking clearly, and simply distrust the Patsies.
    Let's go to replay review with RW Emerson and Omar from The Wire:

“Never strike a king unless you are sure you shall kill him.”

Seriously though, I agree with the sentiment. But that should enforce the idea that you want a bulletproof investigation and sanction. I think Roger promised more than his lieutenants could deliver.

Actual owner quotes after the appeal by Brady was upheld.
    Assuming the prior bias is without basis and irrational?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Assuming the prior bias is without basis and irrational?
    It actually doesn't matter if the previous assumptions or experience was correct or helpful. Predisposes someone (anyone, not just Deflategate or football or owners) to believe that new evidence or facts support previous experience without a thorough examination.

Patriots Statement on media reports today:

Ben Volin @BenVolin
    Here is the statement the #Patriots issued in response to today's ESPN report. Strong stuff

We now know why SportsCenter ran that late night apology to the Patriots. Through the team's cooperation with ESPN, they knew this story was coming down the pike and they extracted an apology for past sins in exchange for cooperation.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/espn...tegate-spygate

This statement also answers nothing about today's articles.

Let's go to replay review with RW Emerson and Omar from The Wire:

“Never strike a king unless you are sure you shall kill him.”

Seriously though, I agree with the sentiment. But that should enforce the idea that you want a bulletproof investigation and sanction. I think Roger promised more than his lieutenants could deliver.
    Much like Henry (don't call me Matthew) Stafford?