Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy Takes Back Playcalling

McCarthy Takes Back Playcalling

I must be the only one who thinks this was not the problem.

Jay GlazerVerified account
    ‏@JayGlazer
    Scoopage. #packers head coach Mike McCarthy is taking back over play-calling duties today, first time all season
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If he does that, is Clement's time in GB done? MM can't just rollback the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    If he does that, is Clement's time in GB done? MM can't just rollback the clock.
    I doubt McCarthy views it that way, but Clements might. Ty Dunne notes this is the second time Clements has lost play calling duties (former Bills OC).

Its the structure of the no huddle and the personnel mismatch that cause the problem. This will make no difference unless the plays change, or the approach to constructing the game plan changes.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Depends on the outcome.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Who's going to manage strategy, you know, like wasting and mismanaging TO's, with Stubby calling plays?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I wish he would. Let Clements coordinate the offense, and let Edgar Bennett go back to coaching the WR's.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Who's going to manage strategy, you know, like wasting and mismanaging TO's, with Stubby calling plays?
    Pick me! Pick me!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its the structure of the no huddle and the personnel mismatch that cause the problem. This will make no difference unless the plays change, or the approach to constructing the game plan changes.
    That might be the exact reason for the change. MM said in the off season that Clements would be responsible for the game plan, because to be an effective play call the game plan has to be yours. Perhaps MM is acknowledging that the game plans have not adapted to the changing aspects of the season.

That might be the exact reason for the change. MM said in the off season that Clements would be responsible for the game plan, because to be an effective play call the game plan has to be yours. Perhaps MM is acknowledging that the game plans have not adapted to the changing aspects of the season.
    Perhaps Stubby ordered Clements not to change much of anything. Perhaps Clements screwed up by following Stubby's orders. Afterall, Stubby's been saying all that needs to be done is "clean up the details."
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

^^^ and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of the players (Read: Rodgers) may have lost confidence in the game planning 'structure' and 'process'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I wonder what AR will think of this? Hasn't the story been that he and Clements are close, that Rodgers thinks a lot of Clements? The rumor has been for several years that there is some friction between McCarthy and Rodgers, not serious, but they aren't close.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Perhaps Stubby ordered Clements not to change much of anything. Perhaps Clements screwed up by following Stubby's orders. Afterall, Stubby's been saying all that needs to be done is "clean up the details."
    who knows. Generally Stubby doesn't air his dirty laundry in public.

I wonder what AR will think of this? Hasn't the story been that he and Clements are close, that Rodgers thinks a lot of Clements? The rumor has been for several years that there is some friction between McCarthy and Rodgers, not serious, but they aren't close.
    I was thinking the exact opposite! (at least with respect to the game-planning routine)

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    who knows. Generally Stubby doesn't air his dirty laundry in public.
    In deference to the playcalling change, shouldn't that be "General Stubby doesn't air his dirty laundry in public?"

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I was thinking the exact opposite! (at least with respect to the game-planning routine)
    Ya, that crossed my mind too, when Rodgers made comments a few weeks ago about the plan.

whodathunkit, after we thought mm's play calling over the years was so bad, that so many would be clamoring for him to take it back over. if we run sideways on a 3rd and short now i'll...

Maybe that friction wasn't such a bad thing, and maybe having the QB and playcaller close wasn't such a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    whodathunkit, after we thought mm's play calling over the years was so bad, that so many would be clamoring for him to take it back over. if we run sideways on a 3rd and short now i'll...
    It's not that we miss Stubby's playcalling, it was his pacing up and down the sidelines coming up with TO strategy that was the reason we demanded change. Poor guy looked lost out there. LOL

Some of the playcalling the last couple weeks has been a real head scratcher.

I don't think this will make much of a difference - I hope i'm wrong, but it's the players that need to execute - and I've seen players not doing their part (dropped passes, wrong routes, giving up on plays, etc.).

i was one of many saying that M3 needs to give up play calling duties at the end of last season

although the play calling has sucked hard this season, i seriously doubt we're going to see a big improvement with the fat fuck calling plays again

i do expect to see a lot more bombs thrown on 3rd and 1 now though