Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Packers Training Camp and Triage Center

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago
    Rollins starting out playing the slot in first action.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h1 hour ago
    Roll call at #Packers practice: Matthews only new player out. Rollins returns. Coxson, Collins, Crockett,Rotheram, Abby, Neal still out.

New WR, Ed Williams, just took field. Good bet he was signed cuz #Packers don't think Coxson (dizziness) will be back soon and Collins hurt.

Takeaways from 1 on 1 OL: Nick Perry great physical rush on Bakhtiari. Violently disengaged.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 60m60 minutes ago
    TJ Lang and Mike Daniels locked together in a battle of strength and will.

OG Josh Sitton did not take part.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 56m56 minutes ago
    Don Barclay had his hands full with Christian Ringo. Great show of strength on both sides.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 55m55 minutes ago
    BJ Raji destroyed Corey Linsley with quick move off the ball.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 54m54 minutes ago
    Sitton now taking part in a one on one run block drill. Full force.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 50m50 minutes ago
    Khyri Thornton got kicked out of the double team drill for being offsides. The ball is right there.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
    Nate Palmer with a club on left hand.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 48m48 minutes ago
    Sitton in with the starters on 11 on 11.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 42m42 minutes ago
    Clinton-Dix with a really nice run fill in red zone.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 41m41 minutes ago
    Lacy bounces inside a Lane Taylor block on the edge for a nice gain.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 40m40 minutes ago
    Montgomery with a killer move on Shields in open field after short catch. Got him to the EZ.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
    Palmer may have a club but he collapsed quick and hard on his gap fit in Red zone

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 38m38 minutes ago
    Play action, Hayward bites hard and gets beat by Pinkard on a slant for a short TD.

Montgomery put a fantastic move on Shields after short pass for TD

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 38m38 minutes ago
    Gerhart sails a snap in shotgun.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 35m35 minutes ago
    Tolzien to Janis for a TD on a fade over Shields.

Janis with a leaping TD grab over Shields. Montgomery then shakes Sebetic on last play of red zone

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
    Montgomery and Janis impressive TDs in red zone drill. Great vision by lacy on a 15-yard score.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 59m59 minutes ago
    Sitton with first team in pass under pressure. More work. For him today.
    Last edited by pbmax; 08-03-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Not if it's 3rd and 15, or even second and long against a good quarterback.
    ayn, how many times have we seen an opponent run for a 1st down against dunderdummy when he abandons the middle of the field and goes to a 2-4 with the G-C-G completely uncovered??

As for the 3-3 vs the 2-4, I'm much rather rush out of a 3-3 anyway - the offensive linemen have to account for the DL, instead of just looking to pick up a guy coming from the second level - which is easy enough to do when there is nothing in front of you, and you can see the guy coming a mile away.

The 3-3 is a much better front for the personnel we have. It's really not even debatable IMO - but we have dunderdummy for our DC, and all of you guys are starry eyed groupies, so I'm stuck with having to argue something that should be obvious.
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m4 minutes ago
    Clay Matthews in a ball cap watching one on ones
    CONTEMPLATING AAA BASEBALL 'YEAR OFF' #JORDAN
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    ayn, how many times have we seen an opponent run for a 1st down against dunderdummy when he abandons the middle of the field and goes to a 2-4 with the G-C-G completely uncovered??
    It depends on the down and distance, and the QB. Packers played the 2-4 extensively on passing and QB run plays versus guys like Kap and other QBs with running chops - but only on passing downs, longer to gain than 10 yard downs and sometimes first downs, depending on field position. It's a trade-off of course. But SPH and Trgo both told me that essentially nickel is base and they are willing to give up runs to stop the passing game. Again, that will of course vary based on the skill of the opposing QB and their team's ability to run the ball, esp. versus a nickel. Also, Packers and SPH value the ability of their guys to adapt, so even if they have undersized guys for pass defense, they still expect to be able to limit the run damage.

I agree, every once in a while the defense is set up to allow a run, and it can look foolish close to the goal line, but that's not all that frequent, and EVEN IN those cases, the opposition typically has 3-4 receiving threats on the field (think 2013 season finale agains Chicago with Marshall Jeffrey, the TE and Forte all on the field, all threats to burn you in the passing game. You just can't bring in three fatties to defend that).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m58 minutes ago
    Catching up post-@BoucherAuto #GGToday visit: Rodgers didn't do the 11-on-11 red-zone period and Hundley capitalized, had good showing.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 29m29 minutes ago
    Gunter near INT when ball pops out of Hunt's hands.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 25m25 minutes ago
    Shields jumps Blanchard throw to Janis and can't hang onto the pick.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23m23 minutes ago
    Quarless nice catch in back of the end zone on play in which Hundley would have been sacked.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
    Rodgers to Rodgerrs straight down the middle in back of end zone. Great combo block by TJ Lang picking up stunt.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 50m50 minutes ago
    Wonderful catch by Richard Rodgers on an Aaron Rodgers laser down middle for 5-yard TD. Snatched only-he-could-catch-it throw nicely.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 49m49 minutes ago
    Hundley sharp in red zone drill.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 47m47 minutes ago
    #Packers No. 1 D for red-zone blitz:

29 98 90 76 37
    53 48 58 56
    21 42

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 20m20 minutes ago
    Montgomery so fast he popped a shoe in the end zone cutting on an out route.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 15m15 minutes ago
    Demetri Goodson no match for Montgomery even on a slant thrown behind him.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 41m41 minutes ago
    Matt Blanchard limping slightly after Gaston fell low on scramble near. end zone. Stayed in and hit Blue over the shoulder

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 40m40 minutes ago
    Blanchard stays in and throws a TD pass to Blue vs Sebetic on next play. Then comes out and is replaced by Rodgers. #Packers

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
    Crosby hits 8 of 10 FGs. Misses from 33 (blocked) and wide left from 50

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
    Datone Jones blocked the field goal.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m5 minutes ago
    Blanchard looking pretty confident in the pocket. Never hesitates. Good zip. Accuracy will be the key.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
    Rodgers screen to Lacy. First down with 51 secs left Ball at 20

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
    2-minute drill, third and five, Rodgers scrambles and hits Nelson streaking past Randall for 25.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
    Check down to Lacy twice in a row. #First down at the 8.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 11m11 minutes ago
    Randall picks off Rodgers on end zone pass for Adams. Not happy about iy

Rodgers steps up and floats to Nelson, picked off by Randall. Rodgers is ticked. Thinks Randall didn't get feet down.

TRAINING CAMP REPLAY

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m8 minutes ago
    Tolzien to White deep for 33 yards over Gunter.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m7 minutes ago
    Tolzien drops in 35 yard TD pass for White over Gunter coverage on 4 and 10. Free play after Boyd jumped
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

M3 PC Practice #4

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 24m24 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Matthews missing practice: knee soreness, went through rehab phase.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 24m24 minutes ago
    MM on Matthews. No timeline.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 23m23 minutes ago
    Palmer has hand injury. Did good job working through it, MM says.
    Coxson: out with concussion following evaluation.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 23m23 minutes ago
    Palmer has hand injury. Did good job working through it, MM says.
    Coxson: out with concussion following evaluation.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 24m24 minutes ago
    MM on Palmer wearing protective club: hurt hand Saturday.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 22m22 minutes ago
    MM on Abbrederis: Making progress, still going through concussion protocol. Definitely better today than Saturday.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 21m21 minutes ago
    MM on Hundley: done a really good job picking it up. QB room really good, both young guys picked up complicated offense. he just needs reps

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 22m22 minutes ago
    MM happier with defense today than he was on Saturday, especially in second red-zone drill.

MM on Randall at outside CB: looks comfortable, looks like understanding is high.

NEXT ON WIST TROLL, HE WORKS AS A DT IN DIME

MM on thornton: definitely improved from last year, off to solid start.

Rodgers steps up and floats to Nelson, picked off by Randall. Rodgers is ticked. Thinks Randall didn't get feet down.
    Fine, sure, but can he tackle?

Fine, sure, but can he tackle?
    Pansy ass is picking passes off so he won't have to tackle.

Maybe if Clay is hurt now, he will be good to go when they need him during the season/post season.

It depends on the down and distance, and the QB. Packers played the 2-4 extensively on passing and QB run plays versus guys like Kap and other QBs with running chops - but only on passing downs, longer to gain than 10 yard downs and sometimes first downs, depending on field position. It's a trade-off of course. But SPH and Trgo both told me that essentially nickel is base and they are willing to give up runs to stop the passing game. Again, that will of course vary based on the skill of the opposing QB and their team's ability to run the ball, esp. versus a nickel. Also, Packers and SPH value the ability of their guys to adapt, so even if they have undersized guys for pass defense, they still expect to be able to limit the run damage.

I agree, every once in a while the defense is set up to allow a run, and it can look foolish close to the goal line, but that's not all that frequent, and EVEN IN those cases, the opposition typically has 3-4 receiving threats on the field (think 2013 season finale agains Chicago with Marshall Jeffrey, the TE and Forte all on the field, all threats to burn you in the passing game. You just can't bring in three fatties to defend that).
    1) Dunderdummy ran the 2-4 as his base, regardless of down/distance, and regardless of personnel, some 75-80% of the time in 2011. He scaled it back a little in '12 and '13, but that isn't saying much; and then of course MM finally had enough, and got involved with the defense; the Elephant became our base; and we saw a lot more 3-3, and less 2-4. With clearly better results.

2) Dunderdummy played the 2-4 in short yardage and goal line often times. He played it inside the 10 yd line with goal to go. There's just no excuse for that.

3) We no longer have "the fat guys" to run a traditional 3-4, hence we have to run the Elephant/hybrid in base - which is fine with me given our personnel.

4) Given our personnel, the same arguments apply to the nickel, i.e. we should be running a 3-3, so Perry can have his hand in the dirt; Neal is standing up rushing; Matthews is in the middle and presents all kinds of problems for the OL and the calls they have to make; Peppers, Daniels, and Jones round out that alignment.

Notice in that alignment, we don't have to have either Barrington or Ryan on the field - either of whom would be a weak link in the nickel; or, in yesteryear, Hawk or B. Jones.

5) If it is as likely as not to be a run, you can go with Richardson are your nickelback; if it is more likely to be a pass, go with one of the midgets.

Q: Haven't heard anything about Richardson in this camp - is he hurt?? Is he running in any of the subpackages??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pansy ass is picking passes off so he won't have to tackle.
    Well, for sure and for certain he has ball skills - no one is doubting that; but if he doesn't get the pick, how many TD's is he going to allow b/c he can't tackle Shirley Temple??

That's the story of the Packer D under dunderdummy - it's turnovers or bust. Way too much of the time it's bust.
    wist

"1) Dunderdummy ran the 2-4 as his base"

I don't think the Packer defensive coaches thinks of "2-4" the way you do, especially with Perry on the field.

"2) Dunderdummy played the 2-4 in short yardage and goal line often times. He played it inside the 10 yd line with goal to go. There's just no excuse for that."

Yes there is an excuse (reason), but you disagree with it.

"3) We no longer have "the fat guys" to run a traditional 3-4, hence we have to run the Elephant/hybrid in base - which is fine with me given our personnel."

I totally agree. Some of this was just out of the Packers hands or alternatively (or at the same time), they did an ineffective job replacing Pickett, Jolly, and coaching Raji.

"4) Given our personnel, the same arguments apply to the nickel, i.e. we should be running a 3-3, so Perry can have his hand in the dirt;"

This is what the coaches believe they are doing

"5) If it is as likely as not to be a run, you can go with Richardson are your nickelback; if it is more likely to be a pass, go with one of the midgets.

Q: Haven't heard anything about Richardson in this camp - is he hurt?? Is he running in any of the sub packages??"

They liked Hyde then Rollins. Richardson is a third option, but is the second with Rollins on injured list.

I think they did just fine replacing Pickett and Jolly last year. Losing Raji hurt the depth at nose. But Guion, Daniels and Boyd played major minutes in base and did just fine, especially after Matthews moved inside.

Nick Perry with his hand in the dirt is the exact same guy. Even Wade Phillips agrees.

I think they did just fine replacing Pickett and Jolly last year. Losing Raji hurt the depth at nose. But Guion, Daniels and Boyd played major minutes in base and did just fine, especially after Matthews moved inside.
    I think you mean 'replace' differently than I did. The team effectively 'replaced' them in that they made the defense work, but Daniels isn't the same kind of player as either Jolly or Pickett, and Guion and Boyd were just OK. But yeah, they were probably as good as Pickett and Jolly in their last year in GB, but that's not saying a lot.

Nick Perry with his hand in the dirt is the exact same guy. Even Wade Phillips agrees.
    It isn't that Perry is the same guy or not - it's that he is a down lineman with different responsibilities that allows for Neal to be on the field on that side, and Matthews in the middle. That alignment will be more stout against the run, and provide many more rush options if it is a pass - plus, you can run/blitz more easily out of that.

If Perry is an OLB, Matthews can still line up in the middle, but then you'll have Barrington on the field, no?? Barrington stepped up his game a great deal last year, but he is still a 4.92, 40 guy, and always will be. Marshawn Lynch leaving him in the dust for an easy 30 yd gain when the wheels started coming off in the NFCC Game should be a lasting reminder of why you don't want Barrington in the nickel.
    wist

I think you mean 'replace' differently than I did. The team effectively 'replaced' them in that they made the defense work, but Daniels isn't the same kind of player as either Jolly or Pickett, and Guion and Boyd were just OK. But yeah, they were probably as good as Pickett and Jolly in their last year in GB, but that's not saying a lot.
    We don't have anyone that can 2-Gap anymore. I don't even think Pennel can 2-Gap. Raji certainly can't, and never could; so, of course their roles have to be different.

If you put Daniels in there and expect him to hold up against a double team?? Forget it, of course he'll get run over... which is one of the reasons you don't want to run a 2-4 with the personnel we have.

If you have 3 down linemen inside the tackles - everyone can look to penetrate and control their single gap, and defending the run becomes a much more doable proposition while in the nickel.
    wist

There are a lot of moving parts in this comparison. I meant replace, as in, were able to field a competitive defense with some resistance to the run (meaning, better than 2011 or 2013) on the defensive line.

While Raji of 2010 was not truly replaced, I think they had enough big bodies that the "base" 3-4 was fine Daniels-Guion-Boyd.

They do have more penetrators now than before, so short yardage can look a little different now with Peppers, Neal and Jones. However, if Raji is healthy and Pennel somehow makes the team, 3-4 or jumbo 4-4 won't be a problem either.

We'd have to look at the starting roster to be sure, but I think the elephant position, basically Neal, has allowed them to essentially add one fat guy. Neal counts as an OLB and nickel rusher. The last guy in is likely beefier.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    We don't have anyone that can 2-Gap anymore. I don't even think Pennel can 2-Gap. Raji certainly can't, and never could; so, of course their roles have to be different.

If you put Daniels in there and expect him to hold up against a double team?? Forget it, of course he'll get run over... which is one of the reasons you don't want to run a 2-4 with the personnel we have.

If you have 3 down linemen inside the tackles - everyone can look to penetrate and control their single gap, and defending the run becomes a much more doable proposition while in the nickel.
    Of course I made this same argument when we did have guys that could 2-gap - always hated the Jumbo 2-4. Got away with that alignment some of the time, but eventually opponents realized it would always be static, and it became very predictable where every one would be; hence, much easier to block for the run, and b/c we have 2 non-pass rushers on the DL, we couldn't generate any pressure against the pass either.

The Jumbo 2-4 should have been scrapped long before MM had to step in and put a stop to the madness.
    wist

Did M3 stop it or was Pickett not re-signed?

Scout.com leader in the clubhouse for the eighth O lineman spot.

So far, guard Lane Taylor has stated his case while taking a lot of Josh Sitton’s reps the past three practices. It’s only one element but it’s worth noting that Taylor is 7-0 in the daily one-on-one pass-blocking drills. He hasn’t faced a murderer’s row of defensive linemen, but the first of his three wins on Monday came against Mike Daniels — easily the defense’s best one-on-one rusher.
    http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/sto...-rookie-of-day

Did M3 stop it or was Pickett not re-signed?

Scout.com leader in the clubhouse for the eighth O lineman spot.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/sto...-rookie-of-day
    The 2-4 was mind numbingly ineffective whether Pickett was in there or not - whether it was a Jumbo 2-4, or a straight-up pass rush 2-4, it was an ineffective lineup regardless.

So if dunderdummy soldiered thru multiple seasons of obvious ineffectiveness with the alignment, regardless of personnel, why would he stop simply b/c Pickett was gone?? The only time the alignment was effective was in the SB season when dunderdummy had Jenkins, Bishop, Collins, and Woodson roaming all over the place to make it work.

After Jenkins left, that alignment should have been a goner, but of course dunderdummy rode it to infamy and an NFL record for pass defense futility, and the 3rd worst overall defensive performance in league history.

If those realities were not enough to rattle dunderdummy into doing something else, why would the single loss of an aging NT/DT who at the end of the line dissuade him from running it?? MM said he was going to get more involved in the defense, and from the outset of the 2014 season, the 2-4 was rarely seen; and when dunderdummy did run it?? it was every bit as ineffective as it had been before.
    wist