Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
I think you mean 'replace' differently than I did. The team effectively 'replaced' them in that they made the defense work, but Daniels isn't the same kind of player as either Jolly or Pickett, and Guion and Boyd were just OK. But yeah, they were probably as good as Pickett and Jolly in their last year in GB, but that's not saying a lot.
There are a lot of moving parts in this comparison. I meant replace, as in, were able to field a competitive defense with some resistance to the run (meaning, better than 2011 or 2013) on the defensive line.

While Raji of 2010 was not truly replaced, I think they had enough big bodies that the "base" 3-4 was fine Daniels-Guion-Boyd.

They do have more penetrators now than before, so short yardage can look a little different now with Peppers, Neal and Jones. However, if Raji is healthy and Pennel somehow makes the team, 3-4 or jumbo 4-4 won't be a problem either.

We'd have to look at the starting roster to be sure, but I think the elephant position, basically Neal, has allowed them to essentially add one fat guy. Neal counts as an OLB and nickel rusher. The last guy in is likely beefier.