Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2015: Perry and Neal Contract Drive

2015: Perry and Neal Contract Drive

Perry is healthy. He will obviously stay that way. Ergo, great year, new deal with the Packers by Week 9.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...2014/31001091/

Perry played in 17 games last season (including playoffs), but suffered in silence through most of it. He first injured the shoulder on special teams early in the season, though his name didn't show up on the injury report until the week leading up to a Week 12 game in Minnesota.
    Perry doesn't know if he'll wear a harness on the surgically repaired shoulder this season, but is keeping it on as a precautionary measure in training camp. Back in pads, Perry is working to get back into a rhythm.
    No problem. These shoulder things don't normally linger.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

One article said his shoulder was so bad, that he gained immense respect in the locker room for playing with it, making no excuses and playing as well as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    One article said his shoulder was so bad, that he gained immense respect in the locker room for playing with it, making no excuses and playing as well as he did.
    But that does not fit with the still-lingering notion that Perry is disgruntled because he wants to play DE and that he's a soft player who babies himself.

Nick Perry, still the mystery man. I am afraid this shoulder thing will do him in, but I always rooted for him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think all the "wants to be a DE" stuff should be put to bed. He's been an OLB for a couple of years now, until he plays for another team or GB switches to a 4-3 he'll be an OLB. I haven't heard a peep about him complaining about being an OLB once he was drafted...I think it's fans with long memories hanging onto a reason or justification to rag on the guy. He has talent, but he's been hurt so much you wonder what the deal is. He plays hurt, maybe he's injury prone?

I like him as roster depth, but he could be replaced without too much trouble.

Right now his greatest value is that he is the anti-Walden. When Perry sets an edge, it stays set. His run defense is superb, he doesn't get moved.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Did Perry even play last year ? I'm not sure he was noticeable
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Did Perry even play last year ? I'm not sure he was noticeable
    Remember the better run defense in the second half of last year? That was in large part due to Perry on the outside. Matthews contributed in a lot of ways, but run D discipline picked up when Perry came in.

By the numbers, he is just a guy. This is a case where the numbers don't tell the main part of the story.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Remember the better run defense in the second half of last year? That was in large part due to Perry on the outside. Matthews contributed in a lot of ways, but run D discipline picked up when Perry came in.

By the numbers, he is just a guy. This is a case where the numbers don't tell the main part of the story.
    He's just a better run stopping DE/OLB than pass rusher. And the Packers just used him to his strengths. Less flashy, but better productivity and defensive performance overall. SOUND!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

From what I can tell, he's strong enough to set the edge against the run. He has one pass rush move -- a bull rush. When he gets to the QB he hits like a hammer and has forced fumbles. He's stiff in space so you don't want him doing a lot of drops into coverage.
    Not sure he's starter level, but you could do worse. Biggest knock is he can't stay healthy. I give him credit for playing hurt and not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    From what I can tell, he's strong enough to set the edge against the run. He has one pass rush move -- a bull rush. When he gets to the QB he hits like a hammer and has forced fumbles. He's stiff in space so you don't want him doing a lot of drops into coverage.
    Not sure he's starter level, but you could do worse. Biggest knock is he can't stay healthy. I give him credit for playing hurt and not complaining.

This.

I have read elsewhere that Perry has only one rush move. This leads me to wonder what the reasons or reasons are that he has yet to develop another one or two, which would greatly increase his value.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This.

I have read elsewhere that Perry has only one rush move. This leads me to wonder what the reasons or reasons are that he has yet to develop another one or two, which would greatly increase his value.
    If you have one good move, and he does, it doesn't seem like that great a leap to develop a counter. But he might be the kind of kid that needs to do all that training and learning on the field. And between injuries and job sharing, he might not have reached critical mass. But even if that is true, its mighty late in the game.

You'd like to see him get one solid season to work out the kinks, but he cannot get out of his own way.

Well, Perry contract extension still seems possible, but not by Week 9 now.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Perry is healthy. He will obviously stay that way. Ergo, great year, new deal with the Packers by Week 9.

No problem. These shoulder things don't normally linger.
    Wow, you really got him good, didn't you?

Somebody shoot PB if he tries to say something about Clay's hamstrings or Arod's calf.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Wow, you really got him good, didn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Somebody shoot PB if he tries to say something about Clay's hamstrings or Arod's calf.

First of all, that health comment was sarcasm.

I also resent the (absolutely correct) implication that I am in some way inaccurate.

But I was close about a contract extension until this week.

Has there been a report on what kind of injury Perry has now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Has there been a report on what kind of injury Perry has now?
    Had his left arm in a sling. I'm guessing a sprain. Injury report Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Had his left arm in a sling. I'm guessing a sprain. Injury report Wednesday.
    Could one of the md's on this board let us know how long he'll be out if it's a sprain?

KYPack

Sling could be anything: rotator cuff, dislocation, separation, clavicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Could one of the md's on this board let us know how long he'll be out if it's a sprain?
    I am not a doctor, but I would guess it would be somewhere between 1 week and career ending.