Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
Who put starch in your shorts this a.m.??

A guy like Rodgers, who is a plodder, can be had lower in the draft - or FA. On the other hand, a guy like Findley, who can run and had special physical qualities probably should have been drafted higher than the 4th round we got him in. Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??

Plodders at the TE position can be found tending bar just about any night of the week; hence, I wouldn't have drafted him in the 3rd round.

3rd round and higher - you should be looking for quality starters, or guys with upside - Rodgers doesn't fit either catagory. He might end up being a servicable player over time, but don't see him as a good 3rd round value - just MO.

Some have mentioned Mark Chmura - if Rodgers can get to that level, I would be happy with that; but then again Chmura was a 6th round draft pick.
As someone else mentioned, Finley was a 3rd round pick. Finley might have been higher than that but he had maturity issues that were known. After watching Finley tantalize but not quite match his potential, I think TT went for the guy with great hands who runs his routes right every time. And unlike Finley, Rodgers has the size to possibly become an all-around Tight End (blocking) rather than a guy who would rather be a wide receiver. Rodgers is off to a good start in my opinion. He certainly was more effective as a rookie than Finley. Plus, he seems to have the confidence of that other guy named Rodgers. If he can solidify the TE position, he's well worth a 3rd round pick.