Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Might Richard Rodgers be a better prospect than we think?

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??
    Why not see who winds up with more receptions and TDs as a Packer...then figure out if it makes sense.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??
    Rand already pointed out that Findley was a 3rd round pick.

Findley was young (finished his redshirt sophomore season I believe) and had some red flags regarding maturity and depth of his brain pan.

Rodgers was a more known quantity, if not as athletic. However, he was clearly more NFL ready.

Code:
    Jermichael Findley                                                                                                            
                             Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece                 
    Year     Age  Tm Pos No.    G   GS  Tgt  Rec  Yds  Y/R   TD  Lng  R/G  Y/G  YScm RRTD Fmb AV
    2008      21 GNB      88   14    1   12    6   74 12.3    1   35  0.4  5.3  74   1    0   1

Richard Rogers
    2014      22 GNB  te  89   16    5   30   20  225 11.3    2   43  1.3 14.1  225  2    0   3
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Why not see who winds up with more receptions and TDs as a Packer...then figure out if it makes sense.
    Finley had huge upside, that's why he makes sense as a 3rd rounder - apologies for misremembering what round he was drafted in; I know you guys love to hold me to the strictest of accuracy

Rodgers does not have huge upside - at best, he will be a servicable player. Personally, I'd like to see our team draft players with legit talent and upside, and hopefully fill a hole, in the first few rounds, and go after good value in the later rounds at positions that aren't as highly valued, i.e. such as Center, when we grabbed Linsley in the 5th round.

Rodgers will likely produce some decent TD numbers, and a middling number of receptions overall b/c of all the other weapons that defenses have to deal with. Those weapons will give Rodgers opportunities he isn't capable of generating on his own; and as I said, he can't return that favor, i.e. defenses are not going to make a point of accounting for Rodgers.
    wist

Finley had huge upside, that's why he makes sense as a 3rd rounder - apologies for misremembering what round he was drafted in; I know you guys love to hold me to the strictest of accuracy

Rodgers does not have huge upside - at best, he will be a servicable player. Personally, I'd like to see our team draft players with legit talent and upside, and hopefully fill a hole, in the first few rounds, and go after good value in the later rounds at positions that aren't as highly valued, i.e. such as Center, when we grabbed Linsley in the 5th round.

Rodgers will likely produce some decent TD numbers, and a middling number of receptions overall b/c of all the other weapons that defenses have to deal with. Those weapons will give Rodgers opportunities he isn't capable of generating on his own; and as I said, he can't return that favor, i.e. defenses are not going to make a point of accounting for Rodgers.
    Let's make sure we are speaking the same language. What do you mean by a serviceable player? Anything less than a probowler? Multi-year starter? Perpetual backup?

What do you expect to get out of a pick around 90?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Who the hell is Findley? The Packers drafted Finley in the third round (91)http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43604092.html
    This makes the Rodgers pick even more puzzling. The Rat Draft group was all over touting Finley as well as Martellus Bennett going into that draft as two receiving TE's with stellar talent

Nobody was talking about Rodgers upside....he can be an ok guy....maybe...but nothing about him has changed my first WTH reaction I had when they used a 3rd on him up to this point
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Finley and Bennett both had maturity/chemistry concerns.
    We don't go through the extensive interviews with these players like the staff does.

Odds are that is why both fell.

Because talent wise, I see no resemblance
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    This makes the Rodgers pick even more puzzling. The Rat Draft group was all over touting Finley as well as Martellus Bennett going into that draft as two receiving TE's with stellar talent

Nobody was talking about Rodgers upside....he can be an ok guy....maybe...but nothing about him has changed my first WTH reaction I had when they used a 3rd on him up to this point
    Yeah, but Finley came out early and had some red flags. There was a risk there. He gave the Packers both - the explosiveness and game changing attributes and the frustrating inconsistencies and idiocies. Keith Jackson was a better tight end, but he was at GB at the end of his career. No other GB TE that I watched (since the 70s) had the wow factor of Finley*.

*No center had the wow factor of Scott Wells either
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

There's been quite a bit of doubt for two of my favorite draft picks; Randall and rr from last year. I have a feeling rr is going to blow finleys production out of the water because ar will trust him to be where he's supposed to be AND he'll catch it. In an Aaron Rodgers lead offense, those two things are worth more than speed ever will be. Rr is a good player who's a great fit for our team!!
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

What's worse, reaching for a guy who starts for 8-10 years and is good, or selecting a guy who could be great but ends up sucking?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    What's worse, reaching for a guy who starts for 8-10 years and is good, or selecting a guy who could be great but ends up sucking?
    Would A.J Hawk and Tony Mandarich (or Brent Fullwood) be examples you're thinking of?

FWIW, I agree that Finley was more talented than RRodgers is, but RRodgers has shown more consistency. Rodgers doesn't need to be an elite athlete; but if he catches what's thrown to him and helps keep the chains moving (and serve as the QB's safety valve) that's ok with me. With the WR corps GB has they don't need him to be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    FWIW, I agree that Finley was more talented than RRodgers is, but RRodgers has shown more consistency. Rodgers doesn't need to be an elite athlete; but if he catches what's thrown to him and helps keep the chains moving (and serve as the QB's safety valve) that's ok with me. With the WR corps GB has they don't need him to be elite.
    To be fair, there are areas where Rodgers has more talent than Finley, they just aren't as flashy.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    No other GB TE that I watched (since the 70s) had the wow factor of Finley.
    I remember quite a few. After watching a play, I would grab the sides of my head, shake it a bit and mutter "wow!" This usually happened as the punt team was coming on to the field.*

* Finley often caused the same reaction from me, following yet another drop. Scott Wells never did, that I can recall.
    Last edited by Patler; 08-06-2015 at 10:01 AM.

(Never mind!)
    Last edited by Patler; 08-06-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Would A.J Hawk and Tony Mandarich (or Brent Fullwood) be examples you're thinking of?
    That is pretty on-point. If a guy starts for 8-10 years his draft status was not a reach in any way IMO.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I remember quite a few. After watching a play, I would grab the sides of my head, shake it a bit and mutter "wow!" This usually happened as the punt team was coming on to the field.*

* Finley often caused the same reaction from me, following yet another drop. Scott Wells never did, that I can recall.

Hee Hee. Nice ripost!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck