Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: JC Tretter - what happened to Mr. Versatile?

JC Tretter - what happened to Mr. Versatile?

I thought JC Tretter was the lean, mean athletic swing man. 6-4 307 is big enough for tackle in a pinch. And with Barclay raising fumes at LT, this is a pinch. Why can't they test Tretter during preseason? It's not like he needs ALL the snaps at center to backup there.

He is Plan 9.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

#9, #9, #9, #9 ......

I don't see resemblance

Revolution number nine.
    C.H.U.D.

They tried him at OT last year, and he wasn't very good. He was good at OC, and I suspect he'd be solid at OG.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    They tried him at OT last year, and he wasn't very good. He was good at OC, and I suspect he'd be solid at OG.
    I remember he struggled, but that is not a washout for a beginning pro. He played TE and tackle in college, is said to be athletic. I'm surprised they don't work with him, get him back up on the horse.

They have plenty of tubby guards. I'm concerned Tretter isn't solid anywhere if he can't play LT better than Barclay has shown there. Barclay is a natural guard, after all.

He can't be any worse than Barclay is at tackle, can he?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I remember he struggled, but that is not a washout for a beginning pro. He played TE and tackle in college, is said to be athletic. I'm surprised they don't work with him, get him back up on the horse.

They have plenty of tubby guards. I'm concerned Tretter isn't solid anywhere if he can't play LT better than Barclay has shown there. Barclay is a natural guard, after all.
    I thought Tretter looked pretty good at center a year ago before he got hurt. If he's able to back up all three inside spots pretty well, that's nothing to complain about. If they do not like him at Tackle, they probably prefer to slide Lang out to one of the tackle spots, in the case of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    He can't be any worse than Barclay is at tackle, can he?
    Barclay from two years ago or Barclay from the Steelers game? Because evidently it matters...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I thought Tretter looked pretty good at center a year ago before he got hurt. If he's able to back up all three inside spots pretty well, that's nothing to complain about.
    I doubt he is powerful enough to be much of a guard. I'd guess the spot other than center where he might be most serviceable would be LT. They already have Tayler, Walker, Barclay who are natural backups at guard.

McGinn suggests Walker will be the swing man to backup all 4 guard-tackle spots.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...323174301.html

JC Tretter is a very good backup at center. Guess he and Walker will be active every week.

Wish Walker was starter at LT tomorrow. Or better yet, Bulaga.

IDK, HH. He was practicing as a guard before they converted him to center.

Well, Tretter's big skill last year (according to Larry McCarren) was that he was very athletic, good at "reach blocks" and getting out on linebackers. He is a natural center, although a bit light in the butt. Guy was a TE for two years of college. I'm reminded of Flanagan, another lean/tallish center who did some rough time at LT.

Maybe Tretter has put on some weight and can play guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Well, Tretter's big skill last year (according to Larry McCarren) was that he was very athletic, good at "reach blocks" and getting out on linebackers. He is a natural center, although a bit light in the butt. Guy was a TE for two years of college. I'm reminded of Flanagan, another lean/tallish center who did some rough time at LT.

Maybe Tretter has put on some weight and can play guard.
    Yeah, I am not really disagreeing with you. He doesn't look like starting guard material. I just think he is probably OK as a backup guard.

307 Lbs is tiny for a LT in the NFL.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    307 Lbs is tiny for a LT in the NFL.
    So what? 0 pounds is far far less, and that's how much Barclay effectively weights when he whiffs on a block. AS a LT, if you at least move your feet, stay on your feet and interpose yourself between the rusher and the QB, there's a chance the play gets off, and a far better chance the QB doesn't end up in a meat grinder.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Tretter weighs 5 pounds less than Joe Thomas who is 3 inches taller. D'Brick Gerguson is 310. 307 is heavy enough if you can play.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He is Plan 9.

From Outer Space.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I see no logic in putting Barclay back out there at LT, he clearly is incapable. If Walker truly is the future at backup LT, give him the work. The team has very capable orthopedic surgeons to piece Hundley back together for 2016 - IR would be just the ticket. They have options other than Walker at guard - if Tretter can't fill-in at guard for a preseason game then cut his ass.

If Bulaga rather than Walker is the backup LT, then give Bulaga the work at LT tomorrow. He won't forget how to play RT.

It's obvious that I need to take charge here.

The fact that Bulaga hasn't played LT yet probably means they expect Bakhtiari back for the opener.