Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JC Tretter - what happened to Mr. Versatile?

Well, either Bakhtiari will be back there in the last preseason game, or the guy who will start in his place will be. Could be Bulaga. Until now they have been looking at other options. If it comes down to Bulaga, I don't think he will need a lot of time to get ready. I don't think it matters a lot who has been there so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Well, either Bakhtiari will be back there in the last preseason game, or the guy who will start in his place will be. Could be Bulaga.
    That does not contradict what McGinn said.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Barring a change Thursday night against New Orleans, the Packers obviously intend to keep Don Barclay and start him at left tackle
    We'll see Thursday. Actually we'll know tomorrow by who lines-up with #1s in practice.

All three starters returned to practice today.
    MM may never state clearly who the backup LT is.

The guy who follows Bakhtiari Thursday, if Bak plays at all, is probably the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    All three starters returned to practice today.
    MM may never state clearly who the backup LT is.

The guy who follows Bakhtiari Thursday, if Bak plays at all, is probably the guy.
    I don't think Bakh will play at all. The fact that they haven't had Bulaga play LT at all probably means that they expect Bakh to be ready for opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Tretter weighs 5 pounds less than Joe Thomas who is 3 inches taller. D'Brick Gerguson is 310. 307 is heavy enough if you can play.
    So Joe Thomas weighs exactly as he did at Wisconsin? I don't buy it. JT weighs at least 330 now.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So Joe Thomas weighs exactly as he did at Wisconsin? I don't buy it. JT weighs at least 330 now.
    I have no way of knowing. I'm just going by the Browns official roster. Sometimes linemen as they get older take off weight to maintain quickness. Raji weighs less now than when the Packers drafted him.

I don't think Bakh will play at all. The fact that they haven't had Bulaga play LT at all probably means that they expect Bakh to be ready for opening day.
    I don't see the connection. They still have to test and prepare the backup LT. Bak could get hurt at any time. If they play Barclay there Thursday, the only reasonable explanation is that he has the job. Otherwise they'd give the real backup LT some meaningful snaps. Why not add that preparation? What other purpose would there be in giving Barclay all the preseason meaningful work at that position?

I don't see the connection. They still have to test and prepare the backup LT. Bak could get hurt at any time. If they play Barclay there Thursday, the only reasonable explanation is that he has the job. Otherwise they'd give the real backup LT some meaningful snaps. Why not add that preparation? What other purpose would there be in giving Barclay all the preseason meaningful work at that position?
    They might be playing Barclay there because he needs the reps. I wouldn't be surprised if Barclay plays both T positions Thursday night. You have to protect the QB's blind side. If Bakh can't go at some point, I think they'll put their best T there. I think that's Bulaga.

Because they don't want to risk their starting RT mopping up against 2nd & 3rd string chattel at LT?

I agree it makes much more sense to move Bulaga to LT, he is taller and better.

But if that is the case, why would they play Barclay so extensively at LT? He has close to zero chance of ever being used in a game there if he is indeed third in line. You'd think they would have played Bulaga at LT, Barclay at RT, when Bakh went down.

It is strictly the coaches choices that lead me to believe they hope to use Barclay as backup. They see things up close, may see the situation differently than us.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Because they don't want to risk their starting RT mopping up against 2nd & 3rd string chattel at LT?
    OK, I get why Barclay spent some time at LT. But they were playing Bulaga at RT, Barclay at LT. Curious.

This is where 2011 1st round bust Sherrod bites them in the ass. If he had been even serviceable at LT Barclay wouldn't even sniff that position.

Back to your original question about Tretter, apparently he had reps at LT yesterday.

Per the GBPG:
    • Tretter, who primarily plays center and occasionally works at guard, took a few snaps at left tackle with the backup offense. That suggests he might get a few snaps there Thursday against New Orleans as preparation for emergency duty.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...hart/71519134/
    Last edited by Patler; 09-02-2015 at 06:16 AM.

I have no way of knowing. I'm just going by the Browns official roster. Sometimes linemen as they get older take off weight to maintain quickness. Raji weighs less now than when the Packers drafted him.
    LT's need the anchor against the bull rush. I would doubt if there is a LT in the NFL who weighs under 320 and that would likely be a stretch. DL can get away with being a bit leaner and use more quickness. Its just really tough for a LT to be light. If you are a drive blocking guard you can weigh 295. The lateral movement and then anchor isn't necessary for guards. Tackles...especially Left tackles are best off being massive. Its the reason I wanted Sherrod to find his footwork so badly. He had the body for it. Even Bacteria is slightly undersized for the position.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Anyone know what arms Josh Walker has? I thought he was a Tweener like Lang and Bach, but he is 6' 5" and 328. That's not bad for a tackle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Anyone know what arms Josh Walker has?
    I've heard they are Walker arms, one left and one right. Sort of a matching pair.

Sorry, pb; this one always gets me as writers obsess over differences of 1/2" or so.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    After reading this article, and his comments, I think I like this kid's attitude. http://www.channel3000.com/sports/pa...oster/35031842 I hope he makes the team. He seems more versatile than Lane Taylor, anyway.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

McGinn reports that starting line for tomorrow will have Vujnovich at LT, Barclay at RT.
    All five starters are expected to sit Thursday night in the exhibition finale against New Orleans.

Expected to start, from left to right, are Jeremy Vujnovich, Lane Taylor, JC Tretter, Josh Walker and Don Barclay.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...323810601.html

This might suggest that Barclay didn't win the LT backup job. Or maybe it was just the way to get their top 5 backups on the field.

I wonder if Vujnovich has outside shot at roster spot; his pass blocking at LT last week was reportedly pretty good. Probably not, 10 is too many. One or two starters from tonight are likely cut.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Anyone know what arms Josh Walker has?
    No, but I heard that Jordy Nelson has a knee.
    Last edited by sharpe1027; 09-02-2015 at 12:58 PM.

OK fine, ya bunch of jokesters. I'll look it up myself.

33 1/2" ARM LENGTH, 9" HANDS and NFL.com says he is 6' 6"

Either that means Guard or putting cotton in the top of pill bottles.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.