Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JC Tretter - what happened to Mr. Versatile?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The fact that Bulaga hasn't played LT yet probably means they expect Bakhtiari back for the opener.
    Ya, I'm sure they do, but shouldn't they give the LT start to the backup LT, whoever that is, to give him some solid reps in case he is needed later in season?

Because Bulaga broke last time they put him at LT and they don't want to screw around with the unit that will keep Rodgers healthy and thus be the key to the Packers offensive success this year. Bulaga plays his two series at RT and then goes to the bench. Barclay gets to go out to LT and get beaten like a gong until he either gets his feet under himself and his mind right or loses whatever confidence he has left.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Because Bulaga broke last time they put him at LT and they don't want to screw around with the unit that will keep Rodgers healthy
    There is no unit to not screw around with. It is a makeshift line.

I guess they are putting Barclay out there because they think he may yet come around and be the backup LT for 2016. Only thing that makes sense.

Part of the reason Barclay is getting Act 2 is that one of his replacements is starting at Guard for Lang (Walker).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Part of the reason Barclay is getting Act 2 is that one of his replacements is starting at Guard for Lang (Walker).

Perhaps Tretter is not much of an option at guard, or they'd use Walker at LT.

We really need to get James Campen in here, he's got some splainin to do.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    There is no unit to not screw around with. It is a makeshift line.
    The starting line is not 'makeshift' and there's no 'screwing around' going on. Bacteria, Lang and Sitton are all expected to start. What's 'makeshift' is the line with three starters out, which is reality for most teams. Packers of course have to be shitting their pants to see Barclay play worse than Marshmallow Outhouse. The answer is not to start 'screwing around' with other positions that are pretty well set. They need an alternative to Barclay as backup LT. What is it? I don't know. Need to figure it out without getting QBs killed.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Bulaga is the backup to Bakhtiari at LT

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Bulaga is the backup to Bakhtiari at LT
    That's what I understood from the depth chart, etc. (Bact goes out, Bulaga goes LT, Barc goes RT - or some other sequence that has an interior guy going to RT?). But in practice then, shouldn't they have shifted Bulaga there in preseason? I must have missed something (I'm not following as closely as I used to). Why did they go with Barclay at LT when Bact went out?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Perhaps Tretter is not much of an option at guard, or they'd use Walker at LT.

We really need to get James Campen in here, he's got some splainin to do.
    Actually, the non use of Tretter at Guard is pretty interesting. Its not like he has a ton of experience there. Taylor has as much at this point.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    That's what I understood from the depth chart, etc. (Bact goes out, Bulaga goes LT, Barc goes RT - or some other sequence that has an interior guy going to RT?). But in practice then, shouldn't they have shifted Bulaga there in preseason?
    That's my point. It really is puzzling that they don't give Bulaga some reps at LT if he is indeed the backup LT. The line for tonight is already a complete clusterfuck, there is no unit continuity to break-up.

When there are 3 guys hurt and Tretter can't get on field, it seems his stock has really fallen. Or perhaps they just want to test Taylor & Walker.

Confusing.

Barclay was better yesterday. I think the Packers played him so much yesterday because Packers still hope he will be primary backup, including at LT, against all fan expectations.

I saw Tretter whiff on the one play I noticed him at guard. Don't know about Tretter. Maybe he will be NFL starter somewhere, someday at C, but he is disappointment as flexible backup.

Barclay was better yesterday. I think the Packers played him so much yesterday because Packers still hope he will be primary backup, including at LT, against all fan expectations.

I saw Tretter whiff on the one play I noticed him at guard. Don't know about Tretter. Maybe he will be NFL starter somewhere, someday at C, but he is disappointment as flexible backup.
    According to a report I read, he played better but not much. PFF gave him a -3 on the game. That brings him to -12 for three preseason games. Unless Barclay turns it around in next week's game, they may go Bulaga, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, Walker if Bakh is out with an injury. Walker looks very serviceable at RT to me.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Isn't Lang on concussion protocol?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Yes, but I think he was on the sideline last night. So he's probably about ready to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    M3 said in his last briefing that Lang was coming back sooner rather than later, essentially.

Mcginn thinks Barclay is backup LT for season, wishes it was Walker.

Barring a change Thursday night against New Orleans, the Packers obviously intend to keep Don Barclay and start him at left tackle if David Bakhtiari's balky knee sidelines him for the opener or beyond.

Walker wasn't quite as sharp in a 68-snap stint (10 at right guard, 58 at right tackle) as he was in the first two games, which was to be expected given his exposure against starters. He allowed two hurries, and a tough grader might have given him a minus on four runs.

Still, there wasn't reason to come off Walker as the best backup option at every spot except center.

Barclay (34 snaps at left tackle, 12 at left guard) was more respectable in this game, with three minus plays for pass and three for run. He gives no quarter and will never stop battling, but shortcomings remain evident.

Probably outperforming both Walker and Barclay was Lane Taylor, who made the start at left guard and had just two minuses in 34 plays.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...323393111.html

Bulaga appears to be chained to RT spot in any scenario, as long as he can walk.

I think they're just sniffing guys out. If Bakhtiari goes down, Bulaga will shift over, if healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think they're just sniffing guys out. If Bakhtiari goew down, Bulaga will shift over, if healthy.
    They would have given him some work at LT, put Barclay at RT, if that were true.

They would have given him some work at LT, put Barclay at RT, if that were true.
    I think that has happened before. Didn't both College and Lang get sent over to LT without practice?

They may not have been the first backup choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think that has happened before. Didn't both College and Lang get sent over to LT without practice?

They may not have been the first backup choice.
    Sure, guys get thrown out of position midseason all the time due to emergency.

But when your LT is down most of preseason, and especially when it is not certain he'll be ready for first game, whoever is a candidate to play LT will get some game time there. The Packers are clearly confident that Barclay is improving and will be the LT backup, despite overwhelming fan opinion that Bulaga should go there. And McGinn opinion that Walker should be the guy.