Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: McGinn Love

McGinn Love

Ok, he takes a lot of heat here, but last year he was VERY critical of the Bradford and Thorton picks. I think its likely neither one survives this camp.

After this years draft he wasn't really critical of any picks and they are all looking like players. His knowledge of the game is top notch even if he at times has to push a theme to fill space.

I never liked the "too small" crap, primarily because the problem was "not good enough or physical enough" With Hawk and Jones gone in the middle we suddenly look a lot more physical.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ok, he takes a lot of heat here, but last year he was VERY critical of the Bradford and Thorton picks. I think its likely neither one survives this camp.

After this years draft he wasn't really critical of any picks and they are all looking like players. His knowledge of the game is top notch even if he at times has to push a theme to fill space.

I never liked the "too small" crap, primarily because the problem was "not good enough or physical enough" With Hawk and Jones gone in the middle we suddenly look a lot more physical.
    Bradford definitely doesn't look like he can last. Thorton might get a week or three because of suspensions.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm not diggin the weekly chats with McGinn and his new understudy. B-o-r-i-n-g. They're trying to force some personality into the show with a lot chit chat. They should shorten to about half the time. Perhaps it will improve. I think Tyler Dunne was a more natural gabber.

I'm on the other side of the Thornton/Bradford fence. I think Thornton is clearly a dud, but Bradford might actually turn into a decent player. Granted, I do think Palmer has the clear advantage at present... so he will probably be cut anyway.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If either or both are cut, would you want them on the practice squad?

Is TT bad at drafting DL, or is it just bad luck with injuries?

Datone Jones needs to break out this year to justify him as a 1st rounder.
    Josh Boyd has had nagging injuries
    Khyri Thornton missed his whole first year after being over-drafted, according to some
    Christian Ringo, Bruce Gaston and Lavon Hooks are unknowns at this point
    B.J. Raji is on a 1 year prove it deal trying to establish his worth to the team, but having come back from a whole year off.
    Mike Daniels is the most solid contributor considering where he was drafted.
    Mike Pennel is a promising 2nd year who was not drafted
    Letroy Guion was a free agent pickup who could be a difference maker.

Does that seem light to you? Besides Jones and Worthy back in 2012, has TT invested enough in the DL? You can't blame the personnel for not being better if the GM is bargain hunting. Sometimes you just need better talent. Of course it's not his fault when a guy gets injured, but TT's track record building a DL is nothing to write home about.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yea on Bradford. Indifference wrt Thornton.

Boyd showed enough last year to justify a selection. Hard to say where he goes from here.

Raji was the starter and played well on 3 monster playoff teams.

Gaston and Ringo have both looked good this camp. Weird thing is that other than Pickett, there seems to be no longevity.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I'm not diggin the weekly chats with McGinn and his new understudy. B-o-r-i-n-g. They're trying to force some personality into the show with a lot chit chat. They should shorten to about half the time. Perhaps it will improve. I think Tyler Dunne was a more natural gabber.
    The new meat is a writer, not a chatter box. Skip the chats, nothing worse than listening to journalists talk about football.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I'm on the other side of the Thornton/Bradford fence. I think Thornton is clearly a dud, but Bradford might actually turn into a decent player. Granted, I do think Palmer has the clear advantage at present... so he will probably be cut anyway.
    I seem to recall Bradford making a play or two the other night. He's 54, right? Dude has some wheels and actually seems to show instinct on a play or two. Somewhat hopeful I thought.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The new meat is a writer, not a chatter box. Skip the chats, nothing worse than listening to journalists talk about football.
    The show "Needlepoint Time, featuring Bob McGinn" was far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I seem to recall Bradford making a play or two the other night. He's 54, right? Dude has some wheels and actually seems to show instinct on a play or two. Somewhat hopeful I thought.
    McGinn wrote that up this week, said it was the first time Bradford displayed any of his positive traits from college with the Packers at ILB.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...323182571.html

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McGinn wrote that up this week, said it was the first time Bradford displayed any of his positive traits from college with the Packers at ILB.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...323182571.html
    I'm surprised McGinn had time for this observation, being in preparation for another exciting episode of needlepoint memories.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    If either or both are cut, would you want them on the practice squad?

Is TT bad at drafting DL, or is it just bad luck with injuries?

Datone Jones needs to break out this year to justify him as a 1st rounder.
    Josh Boyd has had nagging injuries
    Khyri Thornton missed his whole first year after being over-drafted, according to some
    Christian Ringo, Bruce Gaston and Lavon Hooks are unknowns at this point
    B.J. Raji is on a 1 year prove it deal trying to establish his worth to the team, but having come back from a whole year off.
    Mike Daniels is the most solid contributor considering where he was drafted.
    Mike Pennel is a promising 2nd year who was not drafted
    Letroy Guion was a free agent pickup who could be a difference maker.

Does that seem light to you? Besides Jones and Worthy back in 2012, has TT invested enough in the DL? You can't blame the personnel for not being better if the GM is bargain hunting. Sometimes you just need better talent. Of course it's not his fault when a guy gets injured, but TT's track record building a DL is nothing to write home about.
    Jonny Jolly??
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    McGinn is one of the best beat writers in the NFL
    I've always had that position and maintain it; perhaps because he often agrees with me.......lol
    But he's a great writer.

People often light him up when he is not on the kool aide train; that is not what he's paid to do
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

THORNTON......he was the WTF pick of 2014 for the Packers
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    McGinn is one of the best beat writers in the NFL
    I've always had that position and maintain it; perhaps because he often agrees with me.......lol
    But he's a great writer.

People often light him up when he is not on the kool aide train; that is not what he's paid to do
    Sounds like you like McGinn's POV. I think he is a so-so writer skill-wise (technically he is sound, but his writing lacks verve and inspiration), and that his insights are not much better or more prescient than any fan who knows a decent amount about football. But he's a hard worker and provides good content. He seems quite distant from the players, but that's OK, because few players have much insight either and/or are unwilling to share much of it (I don't blame them). Just because he sin't a team shill isn't a reason to dislike him, but at times he most certainly is deliberately controversial (there is a difference between asking a challenging question and specifically trying to create tension; Bob often does the latter).

What he said.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    (technically he is sound, but his writing lacks verve and inspiration) .
    Your posts are technically unsound and lack verve and inspiration. You could never fill Bob McGinn's loafers.

McGinn is the man.

I NEVER liked McGinn.

The absolute trust of scouts drives me nuts. It not based on any kind of success rate. Its just a cudgel to beat arguments to death from readers and fans. "They do it for a living, you are just fans" WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP.

Scouts spout off ALL the time about things and players they don't know and don't understand, using the hoariest cliches. And the opinions on skill level are always a choice of terrible, replaceable and great. The insights about how they play often betray less familiarity than I have with the Packers.

Its different with college players, because I don't know them at all, but I am not sure the insight is any better.

However, he does hold to team accountable for success and addressing areas of weakness. He is willing to publish facts that do not reflect well on the team. Those are good things that are not evident in every beat writer (Demovsky probably comes in second and I am not sure who would be third). Dougherty and Oates are happy to bash obvious faults, but they don't report internal material very often.

He is careful and scrupulous in his reporting. The columns can be dicey, especially the Sunday Game Day bombshells. Some of those would fit in a NY tabloid.