Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Predict the cut down to 75

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You might see some of these back on PS in a week. An article at the start of camp said some GMs use the first cut for players they want to "sneak" onto PS. No one is looking to claim players this week, with so many cuts to be made between now and the final cutdown. By and large everyone cut now will clear waivers. Then it comes down to where a player WANTS to go.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hubbard, Blanchard and one of the OTs back.
    Is Blanchard even eligible? This is his 4th training camp. If so, I'm not sure they'll resign him. Four QBs in the organization is a lot. With Tolzien being a UFA next year maybe they will though. I'm guessing this is the last we see of Hubbard.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Released:
    Tavarus Dantzler (LB).
    Fabbians Ebbele (OT).
    Josh Francis (ILB).
    Lavon Hooks (DL).
    Vince Kowalski (OT).
    Adrian Hubbard (LB).
    Matt Blanchard (QB).
    James Butler (WR).
    Kyle Sebetic (DB).
    Harold Spears (TE).

IR (after waivers):
    Javess Blue (WR).
    Jimmie Hunt (WR).

IR:
    Jordy Nelson (WR).
    I wonder if they really plan to keep Blue and Hunt around, or if they will be offering them injury settlements.

Edit: Blue and Hunt are on the waived/injured list. They will be offered injury settlements.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 09-01-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Still think Blanchard had a more diverse skill set than Tolzien
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Still think Blanchard had a more diverse skill set than Tolzien
    Perhaps, but I think they're going with the guy with more experience in the offense. Just like they did last year when they went with Flynn even though Tolzien played better in the preseason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Perhaps, but I think they're going with the guy with more experience in the offense. Just like they did last year when they went with Flynn even though Tolzien played better in the preseason.

I think you are right; Tolzien always makes himself hard to cut due to his insane study habits. Don't want that ability leading us in the game though.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

What are you basing your Tolzien opinions on? The guy has had two good preseasons back-to-back. He probably deserved a shot last year. His arm strength and accuracy are solid. He has knowledge of the playbook--which he didn't have when we signed him off the street and he had to play a couple of years ago. The coaches and his teammates seem to have complete faith in him. How could you want Blanchard over Tolzien? Blanchard was better than most fourth stringers, but I don't want him close to starting a game. This is his fourth year in the league and he's only a year younger than Tolzien.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Agree. I'd rather never see Tolzien in a game (unless it was because GB was up 21 with 2:00 to play), but he's better than Blanchard. Hundley was a R5 pick and had passed Blanchard up in camp, so they weren't going to keep him and releasing him now to become the starting QB for Washington is doing him a favor. Maybe. Besides, they played him a full quarter in the Eagles game so he has tape...it's not like GB did him wrong.

Butler surprises me a bit, wasn't he just signed a week or so ago? I could see Hubbard coming, didn't think it would be this early.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Pretty sure they just had Butler in due to shortages at WR coupled with the fact that they weren't going to leave Cobb and Adams in for long vs Philly

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Is Blanchard even eligible? This is his 4th training camp. If so, I'm not sure they'll resign him. Four QBs in the organization is a lot. With Tolzien being a UFA next year maybe they will though. I'm guessing this is the last we see of Hubbard.
    I think Blanchard is eligible, but I'm not positive. I think he spent parts of just two seasons on PS squads, so would be eligible for a third so long as the active roster stays at a full 53. With PS squads now increased to 10 players, keeping a 4th QB for development might make some sense for backup when Tolzien and maybe even Hundley are gone in a year or two.

You might be right about Hubbard. My thought was that physical specimens like him tend to be given more than their fair share of opportunities, and early in camp he reportedly showed significant improvement. He had been considered a high round draft prospect until the medical concern about his heart came up.
    Last edited by Patler; 09-02-2015 at 06:01 AM.

I think Blanchard is eligible, but I'm not positive. I think he spent parts of just two seasons on PS squads, so would be eligible for a third so long as the active roster stays at a full 53. With PS squads now increased to 10 players, keeping a 4th QB for development might make some sense for backup when Tolzien and maybe even Hundley are gone in a year or two.

You might be right about Hubbard. My thought was that physical specimens like him tend to be given more than their fair share of opportunities, and early in camp he reportedly showed significant improvement. He had been considered a high round draft prospect until the medical concern about his heart came up.

Are you saying he lacked heart?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

So I missed on Hubbard, Blanchard and Butler, and they kept Abbrederis, Alonzo Harris, and two of the guys on my maybe list, Tay Glover-Wright and Andy Phillips.

I really didn't see Blanchard or Butler coming, but in retrospect, Hubbard makes sense.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Are you saying he lacked heart?
    Nope, just the opposite; too much heart, as in overly large physically. Scared teams off until expert cardiologists cleared him. Unfortunately, that came after the draft, according to Hubbard, anyway.

Blog Entries

I heard all that stuff about Hubbard having a great camp, too. Then I saw him plodding, lost, and out to lunch all the time. I think they would've given him a shot if he flashed, but very little of that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    What are you basing your Tolzien opinions on? The guy has had two good preseasons back-to-back. He probably deserved a shot last year. His arm strength and accuracy are solid. He has knowledge of the playbook--which he didn't have when we signed him off the street and he had to play a couple of years ago. The coaches and his teammates seem to have complete faith in him. How could you want Blanchard over Tolzien? Blanchard was better than most fourth stringers, but I don't want him close to starting a game. This is his fourth year in the league and he's only a year younger than Tolzien.
    Tolzien right now is probably better than a handful of QBs that will be starting this season.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree. I'd rather never see Tolzien in a game (unless it was because GB was up 21 with 2:00 to play), but he's better than Blanchard. Hundley was a R5 pick and had passed Blanchard up in camp, so they weren't going to keep him and releasing him now to become the starting QB for Washington is doing him a favor. Maybe. Besides, they played him a full quarter in the Eagles game so he has tape...it's not like GB did him wrong.
    Blanchard's fate was sealed when we drafted Hundley. He we not drafted that young man from UCLA Blanchard would have been an intriguing developmental QB for us this season.