Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: __________, We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Josh Walker. Tackles just don't appear like him as UDFAs.

Next year we will be talking about making a leap and by the cutdown to 53 everyone will want to be rid of him.
    Yup. There have been many like him before, UDFAs or 6th/7th round picks that show some early promise, but never develop. Especially for tackles; although isn't Walker being targeted primarilly at guard or even center?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Yup. There have been many like him before, UDFAs or 6th/7th round picks that show some early promise, but never develop. Especially for tackles; although isn't Walker being targeted primarilly at guard or even center?
    Early yes, but the more camp developed, the more time he spent at Tackle. He has a tweener kinda body. He is basically Lang sized but a bit bigger (6'5" and 328). Pretty long arms too. He could be extremely valuable if he can play Guard. Would be a classic Ted find, versatile Tackle sized everyman.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If he can play in the regular season as he has in the preseason, no one will be calling for him to be cut anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    If he can play in the regular season as he has in the preseason, no one will be calling for him to be cut anytime soon.
    Ya, but typically they don't. The cupcakes are gone, and the vet DL's actually try after the season starts. Suddenly, the unheralded no-name OL guy doesn't look so good anymore.

From the outside looking in, I would bet Walker would be a marginal starter at Tackle, but excel at Guard.

However, Lane Taylor, who has never looked ready before, seems to be the #3 Guard for the Packers now. I don't know if that says more about Taylor's improvement or Walker's first pro camp.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Starks is a good player, he'll leave because he is an aging 2nd-tier running back who had a good career. Neal looks like a better receiver than most of the receivers.

Tolzien - he is free agent and will probably get good offer. If he comes back to GB, it is possible Hundley beats him out, but not certain.
    I think Tolzien will be back and continue to be the #2.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

agree on wisconson favorite son abbrederis...nothing last year and has missed the entire camp. i think he's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    agree on wisconson favorite son abbrederis...nothing last year and has missed the entire camp. i think he's toast.
    This is just speculation on my part but the coaches must see something in Abby that they like for them to keep him around so long. If he was indeed toast why didn't they cut him on Tuesday after he passed the concussion protocols? I wonder if his route running and ability to read defenses is superior to White and Janis and this is why he is still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This is just speculation on my part but the coaches must see something in Abby that they like for them to keep him around so long. If he was indeed toast why didn't they cut him on Tuesday after he passed the concussion protocols? I wonder if his route running and ability to read defenses is superior to White and Janis and this is why he is still around?
    We know one thing for sure, he didn't punch any coaches or sleep with any of their daughters!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Or, they have absolutely no idea what he has to offer, because they have never seen him take a meaningful snap, but want to find out before letting him go. The cutdown to 75 isn't too difficult, lot's of guys don't belong. Not hard to keep him around for a quick look anyway.

Abby was always going to make the 75 just on his draft position alone. They saw something in him to draft him, even if he was not showing it on the field. Making the final cut is a whole different ball game.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ya, but typically they don't. The cupcakes are gone, and the vet DL's actually try after the season starts. Suddenly, the unheralded no-name OL guy doesn't look so good anymore.
    and what does that say about Barclay? It ain't pretty, that's for sure.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Maybe they are giving him a little extra time to show what he really has for 2 reasons he was a good receiver in school runs great touts plays great special teams but not only that he really impressed Rodgers he even started the nick name magic for him so if he does get cut I really think they will try and get him to there ps squad just to see what the kid has.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    and what does that say about Barclay? It ain't pretty, that's for sure.
    PFF, Campen and I think McGinn (might have been Dougherty/Banaczyk) thought he turned around the pass pro problem versus the Eagles #1s. But still had issues with the run.

How did Barclay do last night?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How did Barclay do last night?
    Not as bad. Still a little loose. Pass blocking seemed to stay recovered from catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This thread came about after Patler mentioned in an earlier post that he thought Casey Hayward would be but a memory come this time next year. Bob McGinn, as usual, stole the idea from Packerrats and wrote a story on Hayward's mediocre play outside so far this training camp.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...323393111.html

This got me to thinking about guys currently on the roster who might not be around next year and whom we never really got to see - maybe due to recurring injuries, or maybe because they just got buried.

So who are the guys who might not be around next year, or perhaps even could be surprise cuts - the guys who were around for a while but we never really got to see much of.

Hayward is, of course, one. I think Nick Perry fits this perfectly, too. I don't think we ever got to know him as a player, due to the incessant injuries that seemed to limit his development and effectiveness. Abbrederis seems likely on the same track. And maybe Myles White - seems like he's been around forever, yet he's never made much of an impression.

Who else?

Myles, we hardly knew ye.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack