Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bart Starr Article

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

Bart Starr Article

Didn't realize how bad he has gotten.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13...-drive-lambeau
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I kinda doubt a Lambeau visit, on the field anyway, is a good idea at this point.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Shit, Bart doesn't remember Vince Lombardi or recognize himself in the Ice Bowl.

I sorta hope he doesn't try to go to Lambeau for Turkey Day.

What a great story! It will be wonderful to see all 3 of our iconic QBs together at Lambeau on Thanksgiving.

You know what, if the man doesn't recognize the context for the event - his own career, what he's done - and can't remember why he's there, then to me it's not right or fair to put him in that position.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    You know what, if the man doesn't recognize the context for the event - his own career, what he's done - and can't remember why he's there, then to me it's not right or fair to put him in that position.
    totally agree

If Bart is already gone, let him rest in peace.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Ya know, there is plenty of video of Starr praising Favre. They should just play that on the 'tron instead of wheeling Starr's empty body onto the field. Reading the article, it's pretty clear Starr is gone and isn't coming back. Godspeed, Bart.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Just finished it. Really don't see the need at this point to bring him along. Bring Majik and McMahon out there. Brett will look glorious in comparison.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think it will be Starr family's decision. If they want Bart to be there, the Packers can't say no. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of private discussions between the parties involved in the next couple of months on how to handle this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think it will be Starr family's decision. If they want Bart to be there, the Packers can't say no. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of private discussions between the parties involved in the next couple of months on how to handle this.
    Yeah.

Pug, I said what I said because the whole ordeal might kill him.

It's hard to see our heroes go.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    It's hard to see our heroes go.
    I just know Tank will be back someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I just know Tank will be back someday.
    perhaps the body, but not the mind. His mind is forever lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I am just not sure what the family is getting out of this. At one point, I want to say Harlan was talking to Steve True, radio mentioned that Bart's wife was very protective of him as he aged and did not want him to be embarrassed. It was mentioned before the stroke and after. It seems like that has changed, unless the article is presenting him as more diminished than he actually is.

Compared to earlier reports of his progress with stem cell treatment, this article paints a much bleaker picture.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am just not sure what the family is getting out of this. At one point, I want to say Harlan was talking to Steve True, radio mentioned that Bart's wife was very protective of him as he aged and did not want him to be embarrassed. It was mentioned before the stroke and after. It seems like that has changed, unless the article is presenting him as more diminished than he actually is.

Compared to earlier reports of his progress with stem cell treatment, this article paints a much bleaker picture.
    I get the sense that Bart wanted to do this before the serious events last year. It seems that Cherry wants this for him, or for the memory to what he was. I think his family might think stepping out onto a field with 70,000+ fans cheering for him will be a good, happy experience for him, even if he is not fully clear why it is happening.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I had just come here to link to the same article.

It would be absolutely fantastic if Starr were able to make it back to Lambeau and bask in the fan's adulation. But if he doesn't recognize it or understand what is going on, what is the point?

Anyways, great article...tough to read at times. I'm way too young for the Lombardi/Starr years but have heard nothing but how much of a gentleman and class act Bart was.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I get the sense that Bart wanted to do this before the serious events last year. It seems that Cherry wants this for him, or for the memory to what he was. I think his family might think stepping out onto a field with 70,000+ fans cheering for him will be a good, happy experience for him, even if he is not fully clear why it is happening.
    That's a good guess. It is entirely possible he spoke to Favre and Murphy well before the stroke and was eager.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I think the family will decide what is best. It would be totally cool to see all three QB's on the field at the same time, but only if Bart is up to it. The movie script might have him come to Green Bay, hear the roar of the crowd, feel the love and recognize the significance of the moment, but reality may be quite different, even a few months from now.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It could also be that they're using Thanksgiving not necessarily as a big event to honor Favre, the Packers, etc, but to give him something to work towards, to strive towards. To give him a goal to fight for, something they can circle on the calendar.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I agree totally even when I had to have my knee replaced my PT, said if you want to get out of the rehab facility you have to work for it push your self a little harder everyday, So I can see where the DRs, wife,therapists are probably all using the Thanksgiving day event as the golden ring at the end and unless he has a miraculous recovery before then they wont let him on the field unless he is in a wheel chair and just stands up to shake his hand.